DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 1500 4x4 quadcab slt 4.7L. Corporate 9.25 with 3.55 gears. Problem: on deceleration there is a vibration that can be felt in the steering and thru the floorboards. I've changed u-joints, new tires, balanced, new front end parts. Only feel it when I take my foot off the gas and coast or brake. Goes away with any acceleration. Any ideas? It's driving me nuts. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Not "when I take my foot off the gas and coast."
Youd be surprised. The front calipers have constant pressure to the rotors, ever so slightly even if youre not touching the pedal. Part of the reason front pads wear more than rears. The pads don't have a "spring" to release pressure like drum brakes so they constantly ride against the rotors. When youre excelerating all the vibrations are in unison from trans, engine, wheels..ect… so you don't notice it as much, when you apply the brakes does it get worst? if yes, then its rotors for sure, if its the same its possibly the rotor as well just depends on how bad they are warped.
Warpage is due to heat build up, running through puddles, riding the brakes...ect…

Another cause of this is bad shocks or struts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The struts are about 3 yrs old and have 15K miles on them. Rotors new 2 yrs ago. Just did pads on rear about 2 mo ago. None of those changes affected the vibration. Wondering about pinion bearing or torque converter..

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
The struts are about 3 yrs old and have 15K miles on them. Rotors new 2 yrs ago. Just did pads on rear about 2 mo ago. None of those changes affected the vibration. Wondering about pinion bearing or torque converter..
Ive heard that the splines on the drive shaft can cause this sometimes, pull them and grease both ends really good, if they are dry they can cause a bind, when you give it gas and when you let off the trans and rear end shift a bit up and down and the splines don't slide causing a binding up, just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts

If it was the pinion bearing you'd hear it, not just feel it. And it wouldn't only be when decelerating

1 - 8 of 8 Posts