DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, however, i just installed the EZ down tailgate assist...what a great mod. no drilling and really a 15 minute install. it really slows the tailgate down when opening...i have a few pics as the install goes.

here is the price tag and model number

install nutsert with included nutsert tool

install ball mount with included locktite

remove the tailgate cable and cable bolt

install second ball mount bolt with locktite

re-install cable and shock on box panel

install shock on tailgate ball mount

remove lower cable from tailgate and remove limiter and retaining nut

reinstall cable mount to tailgate without limiter

install cable clip to prevent binding of the tailgate cable

and finally the tools required...

Ill post the video of the tailgate in motion once i figure out how to get it off my blackberry and how to upload a video.

jeff

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i havent noticed yet, but it has only been on for two hours now!! haha

ill keep my eyes on it and report any issues with the set up.

i did have one hiccup with the installation already. the nutsert came loose and the tailgate would bind a bit when opening. All it took was a littlemore tightening of the nutsert with the nutsert tool and so far so good.
:i_redface:
the nutsert is really the only compliant i have about the setup...i would have preferred a better type fastener for the bottom strut mount in the tailgate. even though it seems tight now, i think it could be the weak part of the kit, and may give way with any weight on the tailgate...im a 290 pound dude who stands on the tailgate while shoveling shite out of the truck bed...im hoping it doesn't give way.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just installed the same kit a couple days ago and I think I got a defective strut as mine didn't slow the tailgate down much at all, it goes fast enough to still make a "THUD" when it drops down.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just installed the same kit a couple days ago and I think I got a defective strut as mine didn't slow the tailgate down much at all, it goes fast enough to still make a "THUD" when it drops down.
definately something wrong...mine comes down very slow...

they are specific to make and model, so not sure if that was correct...but also mine frigged up a bit when the nutsert wasnt set properly...it took a few more turns than the instructions...

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had one of these on my 06 Ford F150 for years prior to buying my Ram. Thought about it just the other day when I dropped the tailgate with a resounding THUD! Gotta get another one. This is a great mod and no it does not push the tailgate alignment in any way. As I recall it can be installed on either side.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Judgging by the two beers I would say this was a 30 mins installation? My calculations are based off my beer to screw ratio.

These seems like a good easy install and not too expensive. Seems like something I'll have to pick up soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts