DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am a little bit above the 1/4 mark for DEF fluid. I have to make a 450 mile trip home later this week. Will I be ok with this amount or should I find a dealer and fill it before I drive? The only reason I ask is because below the 1/4 mark on the dash meter is red colored (as in warning). I was going to go strait to my dealer where I bought the truck from to get the DEF filled and to get an oil change when I return home later this week. Let me know!

Thanks,
Mo

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey guys,

I am a little bit above the 1/4 mark for DEF fluid. I have to make a 450 mile trip home later this week. Will I be ok with this amount or should I find a dealer and fill it before I drive? The only reason I ask is because below the 1/4 mark on the dash meter is red colored (as in warning). I was going to go strait to my dealer where I bought the truck from to get the DEF filled and to get an oil change when I return home later this week. Let me know!

Thanks,
Mo
I would find a DEF pump (much cheaper) at http://finddef.com/ or you can just go to Wal-Mart and buy the 2.5 gallons. I think I would put some in it before I left, but that's just me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check your trip route and see if there are any truck stops along the way with DEF at the pump... if not maybe take a 2.5 gal with and start off the trip.

I personally want to run it down and see at what points the system starts to give you feedback that you are low and how far you have left to go. That way if you are ever in the situation where you are getting low and need to make decisions you have an idea of how the system works.

If you know where the DEF at the pump stations are or have a 2.5 gal with then you don't have to worry and can run it down some without worry.

Just my thought...

·
Premium Member
32,734 Posts
Truck Stops like Love's, Flying J, Petro, TA, and a few others carry DEF at the pump

a company called Yara North America is now also making DEF
that may help to bring the prices down a bit

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Mo
how far have you traveled on the first 3/4 of a tank?
I have almost 1,500 miles and its just moved off full.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When you buy the 2.5 gallon containers they come with a flex funnel.
Its all good but if you do not use the whole 2.5 gallons do not put it away
without cleaning the funnel.

If you don't clean it, the next time you use it you will put tons of DEF flakes in your tank as it dries up and hardens in the funnel. I never did but I caught it before I was going to top off.

I have read stories of contaminated tanks and maybe this is why?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how far have you traveled on the first 3/4 of a tank?
I have almost 1,500 miles and its just moved off full.
I am at 1,500 miles as well, but I got the truck and it only had less than half a tank. My dealer is filling it for free for me. Just didn't have any at the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts