DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Ram 2500. Recently filled DEF tank at a truck stop in Kansas and about 80 miles down the road I received warning messages that I had bad DEF. Took truck to local dealer who said DEF sensor was good. They partially drained my tank and refilled now all is good. But I contacted truck stop and they sent me a report showing their DEF was good and they claim sensor can be good and still send the “bad DEF” messages. Anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Sounds like you have the classic finger-pointing blame.

My only suggestion is to get and keep a DEF tester so you can see for yourself if the DEF is good or not. They are not expensive and can be found on Amazon.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
Truck stops have DEF at the pump or in a jug

They go through the DEF at the pumps quite quickly, it does not have a chance to get old
They don't order DEF in the jugs in any quantity that they can't sell on a regular basis.

I buy DEF at Walmart in 2 1/2 gallon jugs, i don't buy the Blue DEF, i buy the Supertech DEF
When i am driving across country, then i buy DEF at LOVES or TA truck stops

I don't buy my diesel from Flying J or Pilot truck stops, because they don't have real diesel in their pumps, they have Biodiesel, therefore i don't use their diesel pumps so there is no reason to get DEF there

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same issue on 2018 last week. 2nd box of oreillys brand at 3500 miles got same issue.
Ordered a def refractometer on amazon. Tested the little
that was left in 2nd box 5%
Needs to be between 35/38%. Diluted my main tank to 20% set incorrect def/mil/mileage count down to limp mode..
At dealer now say no under warranty. Will be checking mine each time before goes in tank.

Probably

·
Registered
277 Posts
There is a way to know how old the DEF is. I plan on finding out when I am in need of DEF. (That is if you buy at a store.)

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
regardless of where DEF is purchased, ensure it’s American Petroleum Institute (API) and AdBlue® certified.

after you open a jug;

How Do I Know If My DEF Is Old Or Contaminated?
The easiest way to spot bad DEF is to look at it. The fluid is naturally clear so if it appears cloudy or colored, it’s likely contaminated or old.

for those that live in the Cold part of the world;

Keep in mind climate when storing DEF. Because it’s 2/3 de-ionized water, DEF begins to turn slushy at 12 degrees Fahrenheit and will freeze solid. The good news is DEF isn’t harmed by freezing; it can be thawed and used with no side effects. Do not add chemicals or additives to DEF in an effort to prevent freezing, as doing so may contaminate and ruin the fluid.

If the DEF in your equipment tanks freezes, computers governing the engine will allow it to run until the DEF thaws out. Some machines have coolant lines through the DEF tank to speed up the thawing process. Others may use electric heating elements.

On the flip side, direct sunlight is harmful to DEF so it’s best to store indoors or shaded areas.
Don't buy DEF from a store that keeps the DEF by the window where direct sunlight can shine on the jugs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some engines are designed to burn more DEF; up to 10-12% relative to fuel consumption. Those operating equipment with different engines should research and monitor DEF consumption to accurately assess expected usage.

Additional factors affect DEF usage, one being equipment application. More demanding applications typically require more fuel and DEF.

Although minimal, temperature and humidity also affect DEF consumption. Hot, dry climates use more; cold, humid climates use less.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well, I guess that this issue is just another addition to the list of "Why I'm happy with my older Cummins Diesel"!
Just out of curiosity, exactly what happens if the DEF is "bad"? Is it an emissions issue, a performance issue or perhaps both. I imagine that the DEF sensor has some level of input RE: engine function. Just wondering'.
RipVan

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have added DEF several times to my 2017 Ram and never had this problem... always buy at Wal-Mart, either Blue-DEF or their house brand (SuperTech). in 2.5-gallon jugs. Maybe I should buy and use a DEF tester... need to go and look that up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Should clarify def overtime & circumstances the urea degrades and ur left with water. Bad=urea degrades ur left with water.
Adding a box of degraded def dilutes what is in ur tank, sensor detects specific gravity of def.
Should be between 32/38.
The box I put in tested .05 diluted tank to 20 which turned on light& incorrect def message.
Dealer removed tank, drained checked & refilled
For $800. Only have 3500 miles 2nd box of oreillys def was degraded. No warranty!!!

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
RipVan

Bad DEF might foul up the SCR
a USED SCR can cost $1500

Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) is an advanced active emissions control technology system that injects a liquid-reductant agent through a special catalyst into the exhaust stream of a diesel engine. The reductant source is usually automotive-grade urea, otherwise known as Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF).

·
Registered
2017 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB
92 Posts
There’s a date code on the jug or box. Instead of using a date they use a BS code. Something like the first two numbers are the year +1, ie, 19 would be 2018 and the next 3 are the number of days remaining in the year. Don’t quote me because I’m going from memory. Google it for The straight dope?

·
Registered
423 Posts
RipVan

Bad DEF might foul up the SCR
a USED SCR can cost $1500

Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) is an advanced active emissions control technology system that injects a liquid-reductant agent through a special catalyst into the exhaust stream of a diesel engine. The reductant source is usually automotive-grade urea, otherwise known as Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF).
Thanks for the "lesson".
To be sure, I get the whole climate change/global warming issue and the role of the EPA in determining standards and setting limits on motor vehicle emissions to help with the remediation (or at least slow the progress) of this problem. It's interesting though to see the profit potential to be realized by the automotive and chemical industries and how the consumer, as usual, ends up taking it in the shorts :sad:!
RipVan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sept 2020 have 2015 RAM 2500 diesel with 29,000 miles. Need new DEF pump! Crysler can't deliver pump until April of 2021! That's 8 mos from the time we delivered truck for repair! DEF has never been low! Have had warranty issues due to dealer or MOPAR errors & Chrysler has failed to honor agreements for 2K in upgrades for BusinessLink membership
Nor has Chrysler honored oil change included part of package! Fed up!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I guess that this issue is just another addition to the list of "Why I'm happy with my older Cummins Diesel"!
Just out of curiosity, exactly what happens if the DEF is "bad"? Is it an emissions issue, a performance issue or perhaps both. I imagine that the DEF sensor has some level of input RE: engine function. Just wondering.
RipVan
Nothing the system will sense it is bad and derate ur motor or wont let it start. But if the quality is good and your system says its bad you need a new def head. One componant has a ton of sensors in it so once one is bad. The componant is done. Also when theres one code, theres 50 codes.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Nothing the system will sense it is bad and derate ur motor or wont let it start. But if the quality is good and your system says its bad you need a new def head. One componant has a ton of sensors in it so once one is bad. The componant is done. Also when theres one code, theres 50 codes.
Besides the fact that this thread is old, I don't know where you got your info from, totally incorrect.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts