DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I'm new to RAM. My previous vehicle had programmers on the forums who could code vehicles to remove restrictions like no DVD playback while driving, standard safety messages at startup, etc.

Here's my issue, while driving my passenger cannot use the keyboard to type in an address. We had to pull off the road and stop before the address could be entered. Is there any way to keep the keyboard from being disabled? I have the Uconnect 8.4N.

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: RamaLew

·
Registered
585 Posts
Howdy,

I'm new to RAM. My previous vehicle had programmers on the forums who could code vehicles to remove restrictions like no DVD playback while driving, standard safety messages at startup, etc.

Here's my issue, while driving my passenger cannot use the keyboard to type in an address. We had to pull off the road and stop before the address could be entered. Is there any way to keep the keyboard from being disabled? I have the Uconnect 8.4N.

Thanks for your help!
Can't you just hit the VR button on the steering wheel and "speak" the address?

·
Registered
376 Posts
My 2011 Ram had to be bypassed by using Nav-TV. It was a plug and play module hooked in behind the screen. The vendor is registered here. I would suggest them.

It unlocked DVD in motion for mine and we wired the backup camera into the screen as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Gps

To the original poster......you are absolutely correct.....I just finished a 4000 mile trip all over eastern Canada with my wife right beside me and she could not type anything but basic auto search. I did try the rv buttons on several occasions but between the thing thinking i was always in the states and not recognizing the word " PROVINCE" on most occasions I got completely fed up. I know why the safety feature is there but the weight sensor in the passenger seat should disable it...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Agree but then people would just put stuff in the passenger seat to disable it. Lawyers would have a field day. Frankly, the lawyers are the reason this is a problem in the first place.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Thats why I like my 100 buck Garmin on the Bayou Goat mount.:gy::LOL:

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Can't you just hit the VR button on the steering wheel and "speak" the address?
Yep just hit the VR button and say...
Navigate to 1234 Main Street anytown
Neither of you have the Uconnect navigation and this is how I know, the VR doesn't work when driving from too much ambient noise in the cabin, parked or sitting at a traffic light, no problem. The phone VR works OK but not the navigation, even after several attempts of trying. Each Uconnect update has changed the success rate of the navigation VR but they still are not there.

Thats why I like my 100 buck Garmin on the Bayou Goat mount.:gy::LOL:
Garmin on the dash, the ultimate solution.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Neither of you have the Uconnect navigation and this is how I know, the VR doesn't work when driving from too much ambient noise in the cabin, parked or sitting at a traffic light, no problem. The phone VR works OK but not the navigation, even after several attempts of trying. Each Uconnect update has changed the success rate of the navigation VR but they still are not there.

No problem with Navigation VR on my 8.4. (Ver. 14.25.5)

·
Registered
248 Posts
While Nav-TV and Lockpick are both great products that add really cool features, all I want or need is to fool the system into thinking the vehicle is in park. It seems like soemone could come out with a much less expensive option that could just do that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is Lockpick? What added features does Nav-TV and Lockpick add?

·
Registered
585 Posts

Sorry Monster, you're incorrect (see below in my signature). It can be hit or miss. Sometimes I'm wondering if I'm speaking Chinese with what they come back with but most of the time, using the VR button for the navigation works fine.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Sorry Monster, you're incorrect (see below in my signature). It can be hit or miss. Sometimes I'm wondering if I'm speaking Chinese with what they come back with but most of the time, using the VR button for the navigation works fine.
Maybe it's your Colorado accent?:LOL:

Seriously though, my navigation VR often has difficulty understanding my Arizona accent. I always find myself typing in the address as opposed to VR since the last time I tried VR it wanted me to go to some city in another state that didn't sound remotely close to what I was trying to navigate to locally.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
You can successfully use VR while, for example, driving the freeway? If so, you are the guy my service department is looking for. They have several vehicles, mine included, they can not get VR to work while driving. What version software and do you have the 8.4AN from the factory?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Maybe it's your Colorado accent?:LOL:

Seriously though, my navigation VR often has difficulty understanding my Arizona accent. I always find myself typing in the address as opposed to VR since the last time I tried VR it wanted me to go to some city in another state that didn't sound remotely close to what I was trying to navigate to locally.
I have the same problems with the navigation VR. It works about one out of 10 times, and then only for the most simple addresses. If the name is unusual, or I don't know the address, or the location does not have a street address (campgrounds, shopping centers, etc.) then it is 100 percent fail. All this "safety" feature does is force me to use my phone! :doh:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts