DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are other posts about this, but I don't see "my" type of truck (if there is any difference) . I have a 15' 3500 dually. 8" lift with 35X 12.5 20s being powered by a 6.7l Cummins. Towing a 7k cargo trailer I am averaging 12ish mpg (hand calculated). Can I expect more when deleted, and if so is it enough to make a difference? Thanks in advance. Sorry if this is repetitive.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I know there are other posts about this, but I don't see "my" type of truck (if there is any difference) . I have a 15' 3500 dually. 8" lift with 35X 12.5 20s being powered by a 6.7l Cummins. Towing a 7k cargo trailer I am averaging 12ish mpg (hand calculated). Can I expect more when deleted, and if so is it enough to make a difference? Thanks in advance. Sorry if this is repetitive.
There is a section on the Cummins forum dedicated to deleting and tuning. Would be a good place to start your research. You will certainly be able to increase your power by tuning but it is unlikely you will gain any MPGs as you could with pre-2013 emission designs. There are emission friendly tunes but don't expect any MPG gains.

The regen process is the culprit that can reduce MPGs but it your case, where you tow often, it is unlikely you see many regens if any at all. Regens would use fuel to build heat to burn off the particulates, towing also builds heat removing the need to use fuel.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yeah your only MPG gains will likely be unloaded. Deleting is still good for your engine's longevity though

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all very much!! I have learned more in the last week or so then I ever could have imagined in these forms reading and studying. I'm going to do the delete. Being a new Cummins owner ( always been a gas engine guy) I didn't understand the damages the new emissions equipment did to a diesel motor!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Being a new Cummins owner ( always been a gas engine guy) I didn't understand the damages the new emissions equipment did to a diesel motor!
Be careful of what you read. Many guys post information and opinions based on their experiences. A lot of these posts are in the current generation forums while their experiences are coming from a previous generation design.

In 2013 plus model years, the emissions are handled in the exhaust system, downstrem of the engine, except for the EGR. Guys that monitor the EGR report the EGR is seldom open more than 10% and even then, for short periods of time. EGR usage isn't enough to raise concerns.

Before the 2013 production, the EGR was instrumental in emissions control to the point the EGR cooler had to be disassembled and cleaned every 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I have decided to go ahead and do the full delete. Question though.... Will my bully dog 40420 that doesn't support deletes work as a monitor if I was to purchase the efi live?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Will my bully dog 40420 that doesn't support deletes work as a monitor if I was to purchase the efi live?
This isn't discussed here with any detail but you will find a wealth of information on the Cummins forum including PIDs to monitor.

·
8,090 Posts
So I have decided to go ahead and do the full delete. Question though.... Will my bully dog 40420 that doesn't support deletes work as a monitor if I was to purchase the efi live?
Yes, it will work no problem. Lots of guys running that exact setup when using EFI Live. That being said, I would strongly recommend looking at EZ Link for deleting as well. You can't really go wrong with either option but the benefit of cloud-based updated with EZ Link is a bonus for sure.

If you have Facebook check out the 6.7 Cummins Performance page. There's a wealth of knowledge there. It's run by James Warren at Rollin Smoke Diesel. He would also be a great guy to contact directly with any questions or to purchase a full delete setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts