DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4.7 Outdoorsman and was wondering if any has deleted the air box at the throttle boy? I removed mine today and viewed it. There seems to be some direct air to throttle lost there as opposed to just having a elbow type fitting from the air tube located at the fender well to the throttle body?

Any suggestions here? I did remove mine but it is loud when you get on it now. Wonder if we are losing much power with the box?

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Ah, you removed the silencer box. That's what I thought you meant, but wanted to be sure. The air silencer doesn't have the best flow characteristics when it comes to performance, however, it does cut down on the noise created by the air flow into the throttle body. What you have done is very common, however you're not getting much in the way of gains by using a flexible pipe as there is a LOT of flow disruption caused by the ribs. Idealy you want as laminar (smooth) a flow as possible as it will be at a higher velocity when it enters the throttle body, so if you can find a smoother pipe you'll be getting better gains.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It definitively has more noise! I was looking at that big ole box today and thought it is time for it to go. Since I have not found this type for a 4.7 I thought I would just make one. I can take my pipe "pvc" and run it over to the air box at the finder that is not a problem at all. I was hoping to get maybe some mpg pick up with it. They done my recall L41 and now my mileage has dropped almost 3 mpg! That hurts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called Chyrsler and they are looking into it to see what may have happened during the flash. The dealer gives me this I have never heard of that story. But reading on the forums I hear that others have had issues after the flashes are done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.