DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a great deal of searching I finally found what appeared to be a smoking deal, but there's a catch. It's a demo with almost 5K miles on it already. It was mostly driven by 1 person so it's not 5K of people tearing it up or something.

Specs:
2019 Limited 4x2
Limited level 1 equipment group
Dual pane panoramic sunroof (which I'll never open but every limited seems to have it)
Anti-slip differential rear axle
Body color bumper group (which for some reason they've listed as a $195 option when Ram has it as $0 on their site).

The sweetener:
The dealer will add the trailer break control for free, touch up any paint issues (there are a couple of scratches), and give me 2 years of free oil changes (no doubt with the cheapest oil they can get away with lol) and tire rotation.

The bitter pill:
5K miles which drops _my_ use of the warranty distance to 31K/55K

As I mentioned, warranty however doesn't cover beyond 36K miles to make up for the 5K that are there but the in-service date would be the date I purchased it so I'd get the full portion of the _time_ warranty (to the extent that I'd not run out of miles before that).

So the bottom line: Speced as it is it's sitting at 59765.00 MSRP, with the added tow brake controller they're offering it'd be 60065.00 MSRP. They're willing to part with it for 51,459.00 (or 50959.00 if I pass on 36 mo @ 0% financing). I might be able to get them to take off another $500 or $1000, but I don't think they're going to move much more than that.

As a side note I have another vehicle I can drive until January so if I purchased this I could avoid using it as my daily driver (still taking it out on weekends and such) and recover some miles/month so that it wouldn't be crazy "high mileage" at trade/sale time. After January this would be my daily driver. That's also incidentally the drop dead for needing a new vehicle.

Finally, if it makes a difference in your calculation, I plan on keeping the truck 6-7 years or 100K miles.

So thoughts? Is it better to take this deal or to wait and just buy a new one (which I would be pretty unlikely to get at this price tbh, but would have the full duration of the warranty)?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Better make ABSOLUTELY sure, I mean POSITIVELY ABSOLUTELY sure that your warranty will start the day you purchase it.

Sometimes demo's and loaners have already been put "in service", and the warranty is ticking.

DO NOT believe anything the dealer tells you about this, UNTIL you call FCA/RAM and verify this for sure. the RAM help center will verify for you if this vehicle's warranty has already started or not.

Reason I say this. We bought my mother a 2016 Buick Encore that had been sitting on the lot for over a year, and got a fantastic deal on it. Dealer states warranty starts when you buy it. Not so much the case. I found out later this car had been taken to a car show, and it had to be registered for them to do so, so NINE MONTHS of the warranty had been ticking away. Dealer acted totally dumb, but the GM help center actually told me the EXACT date it had been put in service. OH, and then the finance manager remembered "this car". DUH. Didn't think I was gonna find out, eh? Long story short, I told them they were going to give me a 6/60K warranty for screwing this up and lying to me. they did.

So, call the FCA/RAM owner assistance center BEFORE HAND with the VIN, and ask them if the warranty has already started on this vehicle!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh man! Thanks for that info gregs2018ram. Just got off the phone with Ram Customer care. In service date is 4/3/19, so I'd be down 4 months of warranty as well!! These forums are amazing, wish I'd had something similar for my previous car purchases!

·
Registered
665 Posts
YEP, you would have never ever known this had you read my post.

Well, good thing is you're only down a few months (and you already have proof of in-service date if the dealer tells you it starts when you buy it).

Even a better way to negotiate some kind of extended warranty extension!!!!

Glad my post helped you a bit!

Oh man! Thanks for that info gregs2018ram. Just got off the phone with Ram Customer care. In service date is 4/3/19, so I'd be down 4 months of warranty as well!! These forums are amazing, wish I'd had something similar for my previous car purchases!

·
Registered
665 Posts
No, mine was a DEMO, and it was NEVER titled, but when the dealer used it to take it to a car show, it went INTO service that day.

so, its not true that demo's have FULL factory warranty.

The buyer ALWAYS needs to call for themselves and verify.

Demos have full factory warranty. It must be being sold as used. If so, it will be titled already.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
In service date is 4/3/19, so I'd be down 4 months of warranty as well!!

Au contraire, you'd get 8 bonus months of warranty

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In service date is 4/3/19, so I'd be down 4 months of warranty as well!!

Au contraire, you'd get 8 bonus months of warranty
LOL I meant 18 ?. I think if they aren't willing to buy me the Mopar max protect as gregs2018ram suggested I'll just pass and wait for a new one. The highest warranty is 0 deductable 8 year 125K miles.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Not sure that was your point, but I don't think you'd be able to convince them to throw in a 0 deductible 8 year 125K ESP.

i'd shoot for a 6/60 to bridge the gap between the miles and "already in-service" date. As stated, even going up further, $900 is about the cost on a 7/75/$100 ded.

I can get the cost of a 6/60.

LOL I meant 18 ?. I think if they aren't willing to buy me the Mopar max protect as gregs2018ram suggested I'll just pass and wait for a new one. The highest warranty is 0 deductable 8 year 125K miles.

·
Registered
247 Posts
All of my Mercedes have been CPOs. My 7 series BMW was off lease. My wife's current Mercedes was driven by the general sales manager and it had 2,000 miles on it. I told him I wanted and he sold it to us. I have no issues with "used" cars that are relatively new. My only rule is.......I only buy the ones that were bought, used, serviced at that dealer and not ones that came from auctions. Why? Because I go to the service department and tell them to print up the service records. If I see (for example) it was in 4 times for brakes or 3 times for the navigation or 3 times for vibrating front end ........I won't buy it. It tells me there was an issue that couldn't be fixed. I'll admit that CPO MB/BMW are almost better to buy than the new ones because you get 5/6 year 100K mile warranty for them. But, my wife's car came with the new car warranty (not CPO) because it was so new and had so few miles and it hasn't effected how she has enjoyed the car's remaining warranty. Her remaining warranty was based off of the "in service date" ....the day the manager began driving it.

If you're sure you don't want the advanced safety group on your limited, then go for it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
YEP, you would have never ever known this had you read my post.

Well, good thing is you're only down a few months (and you already have proof of in-service date if the dealer tells you it starts when you buy it).

Even a better way to negotiate some kind of extended warranty extension!!!!

Glad my post helped you a bit!
Great info. IF, they told you the clock would start ticking on the day you bought it, you can use this to leverage the MOPAR warranty perhaps for free. In terms of price, you are also ONLY getting what would be the equivalent of a "good deal" for a new truck in previous years. I got 24% off my MSRP AND a brake controller AND spray on bedliner for my 15 for example.

So, you will be getting a "good deal" on a truck with 5K on it. But 2019's may be a different "premium" over previous years that essentially had not changed for four or five years whereas this one is definitely a step up.

Just food for thought.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
We bought our Durango gently used at a year old with 15,000 miles. I was aware that the warranty had already started ticking; they offered to let me reset it from my purchase date but I declined. I forget how much they wanted for it

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is not a great deal. Others have picked up brand new trucks off the lot for a similar discount.

You can also order a new Ram at a similar discount level. If you don't need a new vehicle until January, you have plenty of time to order the exact truck you want, including saving $1000 on the sunroof you don't want.

My impression is that Texas is one of the better states for truck pricing, you should have no problem getting at least 8k off sticker for a $60k truck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I took the truck back and told them no thanks on that one. You're absolutely right about getting almost the same discount on one without that much milage...I was able to negotiate a 7K discount off a brand new, nicer one. You guys are awesome!

If you're sure you don't want the advanced safety group on your limited, then go for it.
Is there something in the safety group that's not in the level 1 equipment group? It appears to be the same safety stuff for people that don't want the level 1 equipment group for whatever reason.

Not sure that was your point, but I don't think you'd be able to convince them to throw in a 0 deductible 8 year 125K ESP..
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was just mentioning what the max duration/lowest deductable was (it'd be pretty sweet if they did throw that in though lol)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Is there something in the safety group that's not in the level 1 equipment group? It appears to be the same safety stuff for people that don't want the level 1 equipment group for whatever reason.
If you don't want the safety group stuff, then stick with level 1 if that's all you need. Those two packages are totally different. Log on and build a truck and you'll see.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is not a great deal. Others have picked up brand new trucks off the lot for a similar discount.

You can also order a new Ram at a similar discount level. If you don't need a new vehicle until January, you have plenty of time to order the exact truck you want, including saving $1000 on the sunroof you don't want.

My impression is that Texas is one of the better states for truck pricing, you should have no problem getting at least 8k off sticker for a $60k truck.
And I thought I was the only to feel this wasn't such a great deal.

Wonder if you searched and found a new truck similar is price just how much difference in price and would you rather pay that for a piece of mind?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts