DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, this time it is my truck not dad's (refer here), I woke up to this in a facebook message along with "I'm sorry" written in every imaginable way. I messaged her to let her know it was ok, but still went to work in a bad mood

A little background, my wife moved this past week and was bringing over the last of our stuff from the old house to the new when she noticed it (so she says). I suspect that what may have actually happened was that when she went to rent the pallet jack it was too close to the truck when she dropped the tailgate to load it and she dropped it on the jack handle; which would be a shame because she secured it in the bed pretty well.

IDK for sure though, what's done is done so I'm looking for solutions so I can move past it and not be drawn to the dent every time I walk out to the truck. I'm not going to be mad at her, the only damage will be to my mod allotment. Which brings me to my questions:

Does anyone have any experience with dent removal? Are some methods better than others? About what does it cost? I'll probably see what they can do about the trailer hitch kiss in my bumper too. Is this dent pop-outable?

I suppose it may be too much of a stretch to ask if anyone knows of a good place for this in the Jacksonville NC area? FWIW I am willing to drive to Raleigh or so if I need to.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,201 Posts
From the location, it looks like one of those suction cup jobs could be done. I personally have no experience with the method, but have heard about good results. I too have recently acquired a small dent just above my rear driver side wheel well. I'm wondering if the suction cup trick would work for that myself. I've seen them on Amazon for $12.

Curious to other responses as well......

·
Registered
322 Posts
It's hard to tell just how bad the dent is with the white paint, but I had some taken out of my truck by a PDR shop for around $100 each. A good PDR tech can do wonders. If they can get behind the panel they can push it out from behind. If it is in a location impossible to reach from behind they can glue pull it from the outside.

Find a good PDR shop and try that first. If that doesn't work out, there is always a standard body shop job with filler and new paint. At least it is on the tailgate , it can be easily removed to work on it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Looks like a perfect candidate for Paintless Dent Repair. The technician will be able to remove the access panel on the inside of the tailgate to gain access to the back of the dent. It looks like there is no paint damage, so the repair should be undetectable. As far as price, it varies from place to place. I would call several places and get estimates as well as referrals. It will be way-way cheaper than going the body shop route. It will be all good. -Glen

·
Registered
490 Posts
give this trick a try..20$ and you could be happy once more :p

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Man that ain't all that bad! Should be an easy fix for any good PDR guy.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
as I see on the picture, it's big. paintless dent repair is not so easy as many think. I worked with a guy together who did it- he always said: as long as there is no knit line, it's possible. if there is a hard edge, not possible. It also depends on, what is underneath. if there is a bracket, no way.
but I would give it a try. somebody who does it professionally can tell you if or if not.
I heard there is a black market for tailgates- especially for the new RAM, because of the easy-mount-system...:158:
I know how you feel- at my old truck a mean tree went behind my truck, ambushed me out of nowhere and dented my tailgate, while I was backing out of my yard...:str:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
There should be lots of you-tube videos about doing your own pdr work. I would try a heat gun and a can of compressed air.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I had a couple like that taken out locally by PDR. Looked fine, just be sure the folks that try it are recommended. I paid $50 for two dents.

The good news, you have a couple of plus points to use in the future.:smileup:

·
Registered
15,597 Posts
thunder, i know you are frustrated not being home to see for yourself. i would have your wife to try and find a good body shop and ask them if they think a painless dent guy can fix it. they may even giver her a card for their PDR guy. or, take care of it when you get home.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Looks like a perfect candidate for Paintless Dent Repair. The technician will be able to remove the access panel on the inside of the tailgate to gain access to the back of the dent. It looks like there is no paint damage, so the repair should be undetectable. As far as price, it varies from place to place. I would call several places and get estimates as well as referrals. It will be way-way cheaper than going the body shop route. It will be all good. -Glen
This, almost the exact same dent occurred to my gate due to a cart and the only sign it ever happened is that when wet the light reflects slightly different than the rest of the gate.

Make sure it is someone who is known to be very skilled or works primarily on exotics to ensure proper care is taken.

My dad had a massive dent that caved in 1/3 of his fender that our guy fixed via pdr. They can get shockingly large before it starts to become perminant.

·
Super Moderator
34,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, sounds like PDR is what I'll be looking into as soon as I get home

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,432 Posts
Thanks guys, sounds like PDR is what I'll be looking into as soon as I get home
I had a dent worse than yours on my 06 Caddy. I used PDR I really couldn't tell at all that a dent was ever there. These guys make it disappear. The body shop wanted $900 to fix it putting a new door skin on. I ended up paying $150 and he came to my garage and took about 2 hours. Wait until you get home and have it done I know you are like me and want your truck perfect I'm OCD with my Laramie.

·
Super Moderator
34,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a dent worse than yours on my 06 Caddy. I used PDR I really couldn't tell at all that a dent was ever there. These guys make it disappear. The body shop wanted $900 to fix it putting a new door skin on. I ended up paying $150 and he came to my garage and took about 2 hours. Wait until you get home and have it done I know you are like me and want your truck perfect I'm OCD with my Laramie.

Exactly, I am trying to get recommendations from friends back home now.

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,432 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
532 Posts
Know how you feel Thunderhorse....door got away from me in the spring on a windy day...hit a sideview mirror on some POS Volvo.....put a 3" crease in my door....pulled 90% out with a "Ding King" dent removal kit....works pretty good for 19.95....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey sorry about your dent. I used to do PDR and I would say definitely get a PDR guy and definitely don't use that glue puller thing. You can't control that and PDR is a finesse type repair. It looks like a good candidate for PDR as there are no creases and it's not too big. What makes it a little harder is that the metal on trucks is thicker than on cars. Imported cars can practically be repaired with your fingers. Your PDR tech will make it go away.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts