DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got 7500 mi. on the new 1500 4x4 Laramie and never been so disappointed in a new vehicle in all my life!!!!
won't spin a tire,won't downshift around a corner when you slow to 20 mph,throttle lag/response is crazy!!!
we have a 11 year old Toyota 4 cyl that will spin the tires harder!!!!
acts like all the shocks are bad at speeds over 50 on the freeway.
stereo display will not auto dim at nite. the list goes on!!!!
getting barely 11mpg around town and about the same on the freeway pulling a Bassboat.

may go back to driving the 98 Suburban 2500 4x4 with the 454!!!:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You have to turn the traction control button off to spin the tires. I average 12-14 mpg with or without my bass boat attached. Don't drive much at night so I have never thought aboute auto-dim but thus far it has not bothered me. As for the other issues, I can't say as I have not noticed them in my Laramie.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
What gear ratio do you have on your Laramie?

Make sure you turn off the MDS by manually shifting to 5 using the +/- on the shiter. Turning off the MDS will make the truck feel completely different.

I have plenty of power to spin both tires even with 3.55 gears and limited slip and with the traction control off it is even better.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
MPG gets better the closer you get to 5,000 miles
I don't use high gear in town/city, just on the highway
If you want to dim the radio, i believe that the headlight rheostat controls the instrument panel & radio, as well as the ash tray light in the overhead console
If it does not control the radios light, go into the radios MENU, you can set the brightness, i forget the settings

I have the full floor console & i paddle shift manually, it is not perfect
The new cars have AutoStick, i hope the Rams get it soon

Chrysler's 45RFE, 545RFE, & 65RFE are the same transmission, just upgraded software
The 45RFE has been around since 1999, time for a major change

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just throwing in my 2 cents....not trying to attack anyone....but coming here and bashing the trucks....probably gonna get some backlash from that kinda comments

won't spin a tire, Mine does...no problem

won't downshift around a corner when you slow to 20 mph,throttle lag/response is crazy!!! a bit annoying but putting it in "5" manually kinda fixes that

is it standard or automatic? :4-dontknow:

humm...can't comment mine ride just fine

stereo display will not auto dim at nite.

the auto dim works perfect on mine....I'd have that check.

getting barely 11mpg around town and about the same on the freeway pulling a Bassboat.

Well....if you're steeping on it all the time to break the tires free and have a lead foot....yeah...they're hard on gas.....I get 15MPG pulling my travel trailer with my 3.92's at 65MPH.....Just saying the right foot has a lot to do with it

How's the gas mileage on that?

Just saying....I can't complain about mine and the issues you're having...some I'd get checked and some I'd take a look at how I'm driving....I have a lead foot and IT SUCKS GAS BIG TIME.....if I wanted good fuel economy I would if looked at a Civic...not a 390HP truck.

S.

·
Registered
152 Posts
sylster, tell me more about the auto dim on the radio.... tks steve
Not much to say....lights come on....radio dims....lights go off...gets brighter....

I think it's a feature taht can be turned on and off....let me check and I'll chime in later :)

S.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Auto dim is in settings in your radio somewhere under display. Once you have that set it should auto dim, if not here is why...... Every car has a dash light intensity dial. The Rams dial is under the headlight switch. It has two notches. Turning it fully left will turn on all cabin lights this is one of the notches. Going one notch to the right will give you full dashboard brightness. If you leave it set on that unfortunetly the radio will not auto dim. Turn the dial to the right past that notch, you may notice a slight dim in the dash and your auto dim on the radio will work.

I had the same issue and it took me a week to figure it out. Hope this helps

got 7500 mi. on the new 1500 4x4 Laramie and never been so disappointed in a new vehicle in all my life!!!!
won't spin a tire,won't downshift around a corner when you slow to 20 mph,throttle lag/response is crazy!!!
stereo display will not auto dim at nite. the list goes on!!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
Wow, I have had none of those problems. I can repeat everything that "sylster" stated and more. I can certainly crack the tires loose with no problem, just have to set things up properly. All the electronics on board try hard to prevent you from doing that, just have to turn them off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
first off wasn't exactly bashing,well unless that's what u want to call it!!!
i'm a Mopar guy from way back.
64 factory v8 4 speed Cuda, 68 Roadrunner,the list goes on.
i did 6 months worth of evaluating before dropping on a 47000 truck.
i'm just telling u what is happening!!!!!!!
jeez people, i'm 54 years old and i know how to read the owners manual.
traction control is turned off.
it's in 5th not mds.
3:55 gears,everything else is factory with the exception of a camper top.
it will barely spin a tire turning a corner!!!!!
if you get a damp road you can make them spin for a fraction of a second before torque management takes over by throttling the engine back!!!
7500 miles so i don't see it getting any better,but it is 4x4.
11-12 around town,16-17 freeway unloaded,11 pulling a 21 ft Triton Bassboat.
may take it in and let them tell me something.it just feels very loaded,underpowered of the line till u get to 3-4000 then it takes off.
throttle lag sucks,and most times it will not downshift into what i would consider the correct lower gear when u floor it.
i guess it will just be something to put up with till a tuner gets on the market or i trade it off after 6 months!

radio has a screen that says daytime and auto and nite time.
daytime is bright,push the nite time and it's dim,push the auto and it stays bright!!!!

and the Suburban gets 9 to the gallon i don't care what you are doing.its the heavy 3/4 with the towing package so all the brakes,springs etc are 1 ton.it's got 35 in BFG's on it,and yes it will spin the tires!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I had the same thing happen on the touch screen radio brightness but as it turned out the brightness for the instrument cluster on the light switch was all the way over and clicked to the brightest setting and it overrides the dimming with the lights on making the screen like a lightbulb in the truck at night.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
I remember reading on a website that Dodge has changed the way of doing business a bit
Before they would do the Technical Service Bulletins, Recalls, Customer Satisfaction Notices, software upgrades ( i forget what they call it technically ), when they came out. You didn't have to ask them to do any of it.
Now, unless you ask, only TSBs & Recalls are done that way at many dealerships
CSNs & things that make your vehicle run more efficiently are not done unless you request it, I just ask my service writer to check for updates when i go in for service, except when i see something specific here on this forumZ.

My dealership has 7 service writers & i always get the same guy, except on his day off
I also try to stop & grab assorted donuts on the way to the dealership for service
Yes i do bribe the people that are going to work on my vehicle

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
Lets us know how you make out with that issue... Hopefully should be a quick fix...

Ed

·
Registered
462 Posts
Make sure it is on auto color mode then make sure that your instrument cluster intensity is not set all the way to one side. I hope you tried this like I said early and someone else said it after me. This should allow it to auto dim.

first off wasn't exactly bashing,well unless that's what u want to call it!!!
i'm a Mopar guy from way back.
64 factory v8 4 speed Cuda, 68 Roadrunner,the list goes on.
i did 6 months worth of evaluating before dropping on a 47000 truck.
i'm just telling u what is happening!!!!!!!
jeez people, i'm 54 years old and i know how to read the owners manual.
traction control is turned off.
it's in 5th not mds.
3:55 gears,everything else is factory with the exception of a camper top.
it will barely spin a tire turning a corner!!!!!
if you get a damp road you can make them spin for a fraction of a second before torque management takes over by throttling the engine back!!!
7500 miles so i don't see it getting any better,but it is 4x4.
11-12 around town,16-17 freeway unloaded,11 pulling a 21 ft Triton Bassboat.
may take it in and let them tell me something.it just feels very loaded,underpowered of the line till u get to 3-4000 then it takes off.
throttle lag sucks,and most times it will not downshift into what i would consider the correct lower gear when u floor it.
i guess it will just be something to put up with till a tuner gets on the market or i trade it off after 6 months!

radio has a screen that says daytime and auto and nite time.
daytime is bright,push the nite time and it's dim,push the auto and it stays bright!!!!

and the Suburban gets 9 to the gallon i don't care what you are doing.its the heavy 3/4 with the towing package so all the brakes,springs etc are 1 ton.it's got 35 in BFG's on it,and yes it will spin the tires!

·
Registered
23 Posts
READ THE OWNERS MANUAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol it will tell you all about how to auto dim and as for crackin the tires loose my 2011 laramie cracks loose just fine you just have to turn off
MDS by shifting into 5 and turn off traction control button located on the dash. i have the 392 gears and heavy towing package and im gettin around 12-14 city and 15-17 hwy consistantly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think one difference is that if this is your first newer model vehicle with Torque Management it takes a while to get use to. I remember I had a 1988 Chevy Silverado with a 350 and you could just stomp on it and it would roast the tires. If you got it in a corner it would spin till the 700R4 shifted at around 40 MPH. That was with a 3.42 Open Diff. One thing to keep in mind at that time it was rated 220 Horsepower but it was running 225-75-16 tires. When I traded for a 2000 Model Silverado that had 285 Horsepower, 3.73 Rear End LSD, 265-75-16 tires.I was diappointed because you would stomp it and it would just lag till you got moving. So you feel like with 65 more horsepower you should see a improvement.I can see where you are coming from. In the defense of that truck it was an extended cab with alot more features than my old Chevy truck had. Also older vehicles years ago you did not have to Power Brake to get them to spin. You simply came off the brake and mashed to the floor and the wheels would start spinning and smoking. Some Peoples truck here may do that my 2012 Hemi truck with a 3.92 wont. I dont know that it is necessarily bad,(tire costs,unintentional spinning by wife) JUST DIFFERENT The 454 is moster and you have one of the last years that had some of the benefits of modern technology with Vortec.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts