DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:4-dontknow:There are currently several gremlins with my truck that I need some assistance fixing- Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated-

Not sure if my vehicle information shows up for viewers so-
I have a 1997 5.2L Dodge Ram 2WD Automatic

1.) I am in search of a diagram for the vacuum system- the one under the hood has suffered some "wear" and is not all too helpful any longer. I need to check all the vacuum lines as she is due for a CA Smog and I don't need any unexpected problems! Plus I have some cracked and disconnected lines-

2.) Intermitent Starting Problem- Engine starts and immediately dies- So I eliminated spark issues immediately as the cause, not an electrical problem obviously so I am leaning towards some sort of fuel issue????? After much trial and error I have determined that to temporarily remedy the problem I put the truck in nuetral, open and close gas cap and jump up and down on the bumper (funny visual :) ) and then it will fire right up and runs fine..... Any Ideas of what could be the cause of this? Engine temperature, fuel level or environmental temperature seem to have no bearing on when it occurs.

3.) Cold Start Problem- She is a warm blooded truck- WILL NOT stay running when it is cold. Will try and turn over but can't fully turn over without giving her some gas and continuing to stay on the throttle until the engine warms to about 150 (aprox) at which time I release the throttle and it dies immediately but will start back up fine. Possibly related to Problem #2 above? Not sure myself??? o2 sensor problem maybe?

4.) Informational Question- what should my gas mileage be for this beast? My gas gauge is wishy washy- sometimes the gas light is on and then as I drive I "gain" fuel- which I only wish was true :smiley_thumbs_up:and then it will read about 1/4 for a time period and then plummit to E and gas light reappears? Is this worth fixing or is it fairly typical of this vehicle?

* Side Note/Background Information- Oxygen Sensor (o2 sensor) was replaced approximately 6 months ago with a used sensor (unknown age or condition) to get the vehicle to pass the California Emmissions Test-
Catalytic Converter was replaced at this time with a brand new unit at this same time. Water pump was also replaced at this time with a brand new unit as well.

·
Registered
275 Posts
:4-dontknow:There are currently several gremlins with my truck that I need some assistance fixing- Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated-

Not sure if my vehicle information shows up for viewers so-
I have a 1997 5.2L Dodge Ram 2WD Automatic

1.) I am in search of a diagram for the vacuum system- the one under the hood has suffered some "wear" and is not all too helpful any longer. I need to check all the vacuum lines as she is due for a CA Smog and I don't need any unexpected problems! Plus I have some cracked and disconnected lines-

2.) Intermitent Starting Problem- Engine starts and immediately dies- So I eliminated spark issues immediately as the cause, not an electrical problem obviously so I am leaning towards some sort of fuel issue????? After much trial and error I have determined that to temporarily remedy the problem I put the truck in nuetral, open and close gas cap and jump up and down on the bumper (funny visual :) ) and then it will fire right up and runs fine..... Any Ideas of what could be the cause of this? Engine temperature, fuel level or environmental temperature seem to have no bearing on when it occurs.

^Sounds like a bad pump/sending unit (which, I believe, is in tank on your model)

3.) Cold Start Problem- She is a warm blooded truck- WILL NOT stay running when it is cold. Will try and turn over but can't fully turn over without giving her some gas and continuing to stay on the throttle until the engine warms to about 150 (aprox) at which time I release the throttle and it dies immediately but will start back up fine. Possibly related to Problem #2 above? Not sure myself??? o2 sensor problem maybe?

^Possibly related to the suspected pump/sending unit fault, but it sounds like the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve is not allowing air to pass thru.

4.) Informational Question- what should my gas mileage be for this beast? My gas gauge is wishy washy- sometimes the gas light is on and then as I drive I "gain" fuel- which I only wish was true :smiley_thumbs_up:and then it will read about 1/4 for a time period and then plummit to E and gas light reappears? Is this worth fixing or is it fairly typical of this vehicle?

^^See above about faulty sending unit

* Side Note/Background Information- Oxygen Sensor (o2 sensor) was replaced approximately 6 months ago with a used sensor (unknown age or condition) to get the vehicle to pass the California Emmissions Test-
Catalytic Converter was replaced at this time with a brand new unit at this same time. Water pump was also replaced at this time with a brand new unit as well.
OK hope the above helps you. What codes have you pulled (even if there is no 'check engine' light)? Why the used O2 vice new (they are pretty cheap).

I don't have the vacuum schematic, but I'm sure somebody here does......

·
Registered
777 Posts
I would start by purchasing a Haynes manual for your truck because you're going to need one. Sometimes internet information is sketchy when specifics are involved.

I would also try doing a internet search for vacumn diagrams and see if one is online for your truck.

I believe the starting a gas gauge issues have been discussed. Although I thought your truck may need an exorcism since you have to jump on the bumper to get it to start!

These earlier trucks also have venting issues with the purge seleniod and charcoal canister. When you have to r&R the gas cap as part of the start up process that leads me to believe your tank is not venting properly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Your starting problem sounds similar to what my trucks did when i got them. It would take multiple cranks before the darn things would start and some days would be better than others. I fixed both trucks by replacing the fuel pumps, which is most likely your problem.

Also, your mpg should be between 9.75-12.5 city and 13-16 highway, depending on how you drive. Right now my truck gets 12.3 going 40 miles round trip to and from work on the highway at 65 mph and thats with 265s, 3.55 gears and i also live in a metropolitan area.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
check your vacuum lines, i ran with one off for a month er so and she had trouble wanting to start or run in cold weather. popped it back on when i noticed it and the problem went away. as for a diagram, if your still needing one, let me know, ill take a picture tomo and ill put it up on here nice and big for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts