DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my truck from a bad dealer. test drive around town went fine. Bought the truck and they told me that they had replaced the ignition system. while on the freeway on the drive home it popped out of gear. i put it back in gear(column shifter) and had to speed up. so i gave it full throttle and around 4500 rpm the truck started "lunging?" almost like a rev limiter but not. it won't go into the next gear at full throttle. So i have recently had surgery and was not able to work on it. I made an appointment with mechanic to have oil, trans, 4x4 servicing. i stopped by the day before to let him know about the lunging. he said he'd take a look at that too. went out to my truck after talking to him and it wouldn't turn over. just nothing. The mechanic looked at it the next day. he got it starting again. serviced it, and told me he couldn't get the car to lunge. while at the mechanic he said trans didn't need any work(fluid looked good). he said stearing box was leaking bad and replaced that. so...... i go to pick up truck and the check engine light was on. code p1899. neutral safety switch problem. i showed mechanic engine light and he said he had replaced NSS(neutral safety switch). He decided to replace wiring for NSS. the place he ordered parts from kept giving him the wrong wiring so i eventually got it replaced for free. After getting the truck back it continued to lunge. and now, it's intermitantly stalling while accelerating. having no more money i had to do things myself with one arm. i replaced TPS,MAP, and eventually ordered a new PCM(wich took 3 weeks to get). After replacing PCM the truck seemed to have more power and wasn't stalling. i gave it full throttle and it wouldn't change gear again, but the stalling seemed better. after driving for a bit it threw the p1899 code. Also bought a code reader that gives you live readings. i have spikes on TPS,MAP,SPEED,RPM. they just randomly spike while driving. The spikes have drastically decreased with new PCM(and the old one sometimes runs good, just not as powerful). I changed to the old PCM to see if problems continued. seemed to run the same but not as powerful. So i drove it to work and stalling was really bad. i limped it home (stalling prevented me from picking up speed). i immediately changed back to the new PCM. in about 15min i was driving it again and the stalling stopped.... I kept driving to see if i could get it to malfunction. after a few more miles it is stalling again. it isn't quite as bad with the new PCM. But it is definately still there. i have no idea what to do. i have redone the grounds that i can see from looking under the hood. I am about to change all the O2 sensors. i don't know. i don't know what to do. this is taking so much time and money i have considered just seeing what i can get for it at a dealer. i don't want to do that because i have a good chunk of money in it. not to mention the reason i bought the truck is someone hit my previous truck(in my driveway) without insurance and i had to use my tax return to buy another one. i am out $4000 for the previous truck and now have $5300 at least into this one. so about $10,000 sits in my driveway not running. i am losing it. PLEASE HELP I WILL BE FOREVER GREATFULL:doh:

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
You need a cheap reliable beater car to drive while you get the truck fixed. Better yet, dump it before it kills you. I have 330,000 miles on my Dodge Magnum, never broke down, I'd drive it cross country, same with my 235,000 mile Ram. Throwing parts at a truck, hoping to find the problem is not the answer. Perhaps you need to find a good dealer that can scan it and figure out what is wrong. Original dealer should not have sold it, other than at auction. My Dodge dealer only sells new cars, all trades go to auction. Wish I had a better answer.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Sounds like a ground issue with ignition. I'll bet truck was stolen at one time. And column was punched. And shifter messed up. I mean that would be my suspension when you have to replace ignition. And at least they where honestly enough on that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for thinking about it

I appreciate both of ur responses. But I can't dump it. wish I could. I am absolutely stuck. I just don't have enough money. I have recently taken a lower paying job and can't get envolved in payments. I guess I will be walking for a while. Man I am screwed. Just doesn't matter. Thanks for ur input guys. I appreciate it. I guess I can start taking apart the column but I have never done anything like that. I only just started learning about all this. I do enjoy working on it but I'm not super experienced. I have found a ground cable under with the battery that the idiots at dodge put 13 grounds onto one small post, that is mounted on a wheel well that collects water. It was soaked and corroded. Just bought new bolts for ground. I guess I will see if that does something. I pray for the worst for the dealer I bought this from.

Truy screwed.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
A Haynes repair manual for your truck could come of great use as you move forward. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Brandon. I have been reading a Haynes. It is useful. This weekend I'm going to re-attach that ground...... What does anyone think about this.... I was considering, after redoing grounds. That I would spray "flex seal". Over them to prevent them from rusting? Probably a stupid idea but I thought it would protect it?.... I dunno, this is crap. Getting another ride to work from my senior citizen parents. They shouldn't have to do this. I'm just too stupid to fix it. Sorry, I'm halfway using this forum to get my grit rations off of my chest... My frustrations are building. Working on this POS with one arms sucks too!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's just running like a POS. I do really like the truck and always wanted one when they first came out when I was in high school. I have put a flow master super 44 on it. I did this while it took 3 weeks to get the new PCM. Also did a lot of bodywork witch turned out great. I like Rams. They look super cool to me:4-dontknow::4-dontknow:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Service Manual

I downloaded a manual for my '01 when I started having problems. I'll try to figure out where I got it from. It was a free download.
Just hang in there, there are a lot of good people here to help you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again. I haven't downloaded it yet as I only have my cell phone right now. I am going to reattach the 13 grounds wire cable befor I go to work today I go to work I will borrow a computer from my parents and get that manual. I tried looking at it on my phone but it struggles. Looks good though. Thank u for your help and concern. I will post again after ground is done. I have a schedule for next three days. Today befor work I'm redoin some grounds. My dad seems to think cap, wires and tune up will do it. I know it won't but he comin over and there's no disagreeing with him. But then.... !!!! I have an appointment with a local guy who has worked on a lot of Rams. I have to pay him his hourly wage but he is going to let me work on it with him. So maybe I can make things go faster and learn a lot too. I have had to get a CC to fund this but I understand he's very good. I will have that link ready when we start also. Hope he is not too expensive but I really have no choice now. My dad who was helping me keeps telling me trucks shift differany than cars and there's nothing wrong with it not shifting... Oh well. With u guys and this local dude hopefully I will get this done on Monday! Maybe wishful thinking but I've been so depressed that a glimmer of hope helps. Oh yeah I contacted the dealer for the 4th time and told him I that I have now spent $1200 trying to get it running and the ass hole doesn't care. Oh yeah, now I have to keep the battery unplugged if the trucks wet or the reverse light on the cab will stay on.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Well rubberized spray won't hurt grounds. As a matter of fact scuff paint off then put grounds on but cover edges of the nuts. If you have to replace them it will be easier. As far as shift. Maybe linkage is mis a justed. Now I don't know exactly how to a just it. But you may be able to do it like old school and manually drop trans in 1st gear then check ajustment. And as far as having shift issue your slush box is all electronic. So miss shift could be a servo or pressure sensor or just computer. Reverse switch and nutral safe switch are on transmission. And there cheep.also while there look for melted wires. What would be nice is if ramvan is around (transmission guru ) I think he rebuilds them for fun. Or warlock. (Built a gen 2 from a junk find. To a 1 of a kind stepside). They know more about this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.