DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at Bidirectional Diagnostic Scanners. I'm not a professional mechanic, but I do whatever I'm able to do. I guess you can classify me as a "Enthusiastic DIY'er". My budget this time is around $250. I'm not looking for a pro grade Snap On or anything like that for thousands of dollars. There are some pretty attractive hand held ones out there. And I guess I should also mention I don't want a bluetooth type reader. Does anyone have experience with these type things? I'm kinda split between the Innova 5610 and the Launch CRP479. And it's not just for my Ram 2500. I also have a GMC Yukon and a 2nd Gen RAM 1500.

·
Registered
863 Posts
We use an Autel scan tool at the college I work at. WE had a windows based Snap Off but it bit the dust a couple years back, The Autel has a android system and they make them in a wide price range. Depends on how many features you want.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I see Autel is in the top 3 of tools if not no 1. Depends on what you read. I was liking the looks of the Innova tool but I just learned it has this "Solutions" app you need to run with it and it requires a yearly subscription. So that one's out. I don't want to have to buy any additional things other than the tool. I just want the most bidirectional diagnostic tool for my budget. So now I'm back to looking at Foxwell NT650. Live data scan, abs bleeding, some bidirectional valve and circuit functions, as well as all the standard code reading, clearing or reset function. Launch CRP479 is still a contender too. Like I said, I don't run a repair facility, I just want to work on my family's vehicles and save money. Not like I'll use it daily.

·
Registered
863 Posts
One of my student just picked up an autel that is able to do most operations for around 500. I think they still have one a little cheaper.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What model was it? I was told by an Autel Technician the only one that would suit my needs is the MP808. And that's like $800!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man that does look nice! Thanks for showing me that. It looks like it's shop grade. Unfortunately, it's above my budget range. I'm not a shop and I only work on family vehicles. The tool I buy may sit in my toolbox for a year or two before something throws a code.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yea I know what you mean. But it wont be to long and your not going to be able to anything hardly with out it. Shop their line, see what fits your needs and see what you find.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got really frustrated with a couple because I was shopping Amazon. Found a couple I liked. Actually ordered one. I discovered some of them hide the fact they require subscriptions in order to get updates, and some just flat out charge for each vehicle brand or model you want to work on. And the same name company (launch) has a US line and a Asian or overseas market. The US market headquarters won't have anything to do with the other and slammed them pretty good saying some of them won't even work on American vehicles! Even though the Amazon sellers said they would! I guess I went into this pretty gullible.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Far as I know all charge for updates. Its not cheap. But as long as your driving the same cars shouldnt need an update.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So your saying once I pay for the vehicles the scanner will work beyond the year of that subscription?

·
Registered
863 Posts
So with our Autel scanners at work, one we bought in like 2016. The other we bought late in school year 2017 or early 2018. We have not bought an "update" for either one since. What that means is they both work, but no additional cars or updated information has been added since. So if you buy one say July 1 this year, first thing I would check is to make sure it has the latest version when you get it. From there on if your working on say anything later than 2018 and some 2019 model year cars your covered. You should be able to check their web site to see what latest version software is and if its not you may be able to get them to update it rite then.
So our one unit will not "see" anything newer than 2016 and the other is like some 2018 models. So until you change vehicles you wont need an update. So the update for the 808 looks to be around $150-160. If your working on say a friends car in a year or so and it is not covered by your unit, charge them for the update.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, I've learned quite a lot. On the upper end if one can afford it, Autel is better. But that's for shops. For the DIY'ER like me, there are other less expensive choices. If you just want a code reader there's hundreds of them out there for under $100. I have discovered Launch has a DIY line that doesn't require subscriptions. However, some do charge for yearly updates. The biggest thing I learned is there's Launch USA and Launch China. Launch USA has their own line and doesn't support any of the Launch China products you can buy on Ebay or Amazon. Launch USA told me the Launch China versions are not built for North American vehicles. When I spoke with a non partial distributor he chuckled and told me "actually the Chinese version is better". The main difference being Launch China is kinda like a franchise investor and you'll have to go through the distributor you bought it from or even maybe communicate (shudder) with China via broken English emails. And of course Launch USA is in Los Angeles and therefore easier to get instant results from. I bought a Launch X431 Crp479 from a Amazon seller that's giving me a 2 yrs warranty. This unit has 15 reset functions. More than I need right now, and the seller tells me it will work forever on my vehicles without a subscription or update fees. After that, if I want to update it for a new vehicle or whatever it will cost me $70. I'm thinking (hoping) that in 2 yrs I'll be able to afford a "big boys toy". But for now we'll see how this one works. Hope that was educational for some of you readers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the Blue Driver and it works great . Free updates for it and it only cost me $100. I use it for everything I have

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Isn't the Blue Driver just a scanner? Will it bleed ABS brake systems or read wheel speed sensors or program match a fuel Injector?

·
Registered
20 Posts
So, I've learned quite a lot. On the upper end if one can afford it, Autel is better. But that's for shops. For the DIY'ER like me, there are other less expensive choices. If you just want a code reader there's hundreds of them out there for under $100. I have discovered Launch has a DIY line that doesn't require subscriptions. However, some do charge for yearly updates. The biggest thing I learned is there's Launch USA and Launch China. Launch USA has their own line and doesn't support any of the Launch China products you can buy on Ebay or Amazon. Launch USA told me the Launch China versions are not built for North American vehicles. When I spoke with a non partial distributor he chuckled and told me "actually the Chinese version is better". The main difference being Launch China is kinda like a franchise investor and you'll have to go through the distributor you bought it from or even maybe communicate (shudder) with China via broken English emails. And of course Launch USA is in Los Angeles and therefore easier to get instant results from. I bought a Launch X431 Crp479 from a Amazon seller that's giving me a 2 yrs warranty. This unit has 15 reset functions. More than I need right now, and the seller tells me it will work forever on my vehicles without a subscription or update fees. After that, if I want to update it for a new vehicle or whatever it will cost me $70. I'm thinking (hoping) that in 2 yrs I'll be able to afford a "big boys toy". But for now we'll see how this one works. Hope that was educational for some of you readers.
Foxwell has those same issues

1 - 17 of 17 Posts