DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have purchased a dodge ram 2017 and one thing we are wondering about is the keyless situation. So of course we want to protect the car from it being possibly stolen via the well known key scan. While we were testing we noticed that when the key was not near the car and we pushed the button on the handle the dials in the car actually turned on and on the display a message saying "press brake and click start button to start the engine" came up. We are wondering if this is a common thing or if there is something wrong. I mean it is kinda scetchy that if the key is not near the car that electricity is turning on and dials are turning on while pressing the button on the handle.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
How far away are the keys? If you can unlock the truck then at least one of the keys is within range.

Reactions: WJR

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Where is the second key? Is it possible it is in the truck since you did buy it used, correct?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Until comeone else comes along with a better answer, can you try the same thing with the truck unlocked and keys in the house. See if the message comes up. If you try to start the truck, it should say something along the lines of key not detected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Until comeone else comes along with a better answer, can you try the same thing with the truck unlocked and keys in the house. See if the message comes up. If you try to start the truck, it should say something along the lines of key not detected.
alright I will try to do so, thanks for support. I hope someone who does know something about this can answer the thread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine "wakes"' up as well, even if the keys aren't present. I'm assuming the idea is to light up and give you light to rummage for your keys.
Seems kinda unnecessary because if the car is able to unlock via the button and start without the start stop button. This only happens if the key is not near because when I have the key in my pocket the car unlocks and the dials wake up as well, but then the interior light turns on too. But when the key is far away from the car then only the dials wake up.

·
Registered
2014 Ram 1500 Express 5.7 8Spd
222 Posts
its the body control module waking up it will do it when you push the button or when it detects the key, but the modules should go to sleep again on their own, my 14 had an issue where the cheapo bluetooth obd module i had kept waking the can bus up, so youd look out in the driveway at 3 in the morning and the truck would be sitting there talking to itself, actually killed the battery in my dads eco diesel that way, since then i just remove the obd module unless im actively deleting or monitoring and no issues.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Two things need clarification, as they were not mentioned in your posts.
1. When the keys are in the house, how far away in feet is the truck parked?
2. When the keys are in the house, can you start the truck?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its the body control module waking up it will do it when you push the button or when it detects the key, but the modules should go to sleep again on their own, my 14 had an issue where the cheapo bluetooth obd module i had kept waking the can bus up, so youd look out in the driveway at 3 in the morning and the truck would be sitting there talking to itself, actually killed the battery in my dads eco diesel that way, since then i just remove the obd module unless im actively deleting or monitoring and no issues.
Alright I understad. So based on this message the situation is not normal and there probably is something wrong yeah?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Two things need clarification, as they were not mentioned in your posts.
1. When the keys are in the house, how far away in feet is the truck parked?
2. When the keys are in the house, can you start the truck?
So I think I mentioned it in a reply. The keys are far far away from the car. We keep the keys in a signal blocking box. We have tried to start the truck when the keys where in the box and it didn’t start. I don’t know how far away in feet the truck is but in meters it will be just around 20-30 meters. And as I said the keys are stored in a signal blocking box so the car does not have a connection or does not detect the actual key. And it still “wakes up” the dials and screen in between the dials. And the message “press brake and push start to start the vehicle” comes up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand the wake up and signage on your dash cluster, but did you "press brake and push start" to see if you're able to start the truck with the keys in the house?
Yes sir. While the keys are at home we are unable to open the car, but when we click the button on the handle then the message and all of it comes up. So we tried to leave the car unlocked and then take the keys home. Then the truck didn’t close of course but the message still come up. And then we tried to start the car but it didn’t start and a message came up sayin “no fob near the car” or something similar to that.

·
Registered
2014 Ram 1500 Express 5.7 8Spd
222 Posts
Alright I understad. So based on this message the situation is not normal and there probably is something wrong yeah?
no its normal, leave the keys well away from the vehicle, walk up to it and push the button, cluster should light up, if the cluster doesn't go back to sleep(turn off) within 5 minutes there's a issue. that time may not be exact, essentially what you're doing is pressing the unlock button on your phone, screen lights up and it prepares to accept the next command, when one doesnt show up it goes back to sleep

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just walked out to my truck and pressed the door handle. The dash lit up, the shifter flashed and the message appeared on the dash. The keys were away from the truck. What you described is normal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.