DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well went to the track friday night and during every burnout(4) I would here my tires spinning and then my rpm would shoot up and I would hear nothing. On the last burnout I looked and my speedometer was at 50 by the end of the burnout. During the burnouts I would ease in to the throttle at first and then push it(about 3/4 throttle). Trans temp never went over 150. Any ideas what could be causing this?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Did your CEL come on? Any fault codes? After the burnouts, would the trans still shift normally (1-2-3-4-5)? Does the transmission fluid smell burned, or is it black (or dark)?

If no CEL and trans shifts normally, then I'd think your trans is OK. If your speedo was reading 50 mph, then your driveshaft / output shaft were actually turning at that speed, which to me is a good sign (for the trans). If you had massive slip in the trans, then I'd expect your output speed to be LOW while your engine speed was HIGH.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yeah, I was curious as to why the observation of seeing 50 mph during a burnout was something wrong. The wheels are spinning and speed should logically go up with rpm...correct? The truck may not be doing 50, but the wheels are turing at a revolution that would yield 50 mph. The fact that trans temp was not high should be a good sign. A mechanical failure not related to heat could occur, however. I'd like to hear how the tranny is operating after all this action, just as TE is asking. I'm also curious about the comment, "rpm would shoot up and I would hear nothing".

·
Banned
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TransEngineer- No cel and trans is shifting fine. Haven't checked the fluid

TNC- I've just never noticed the speedometer do that on either truck so I thought it might be an issue. And by I would hear nothing I mean like I would hear my tires spinning and then the rpm would shoot up as I increased the throttle and there would be no noise until I let off the brakes and moved to the tree. I went 2 weeks before this and didn't notice it doing any of this but I was just doing quick burnouts that night

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I would get a drive shaft loop....

·
Banned
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would get a drive shaft loop....
How come?

Unless you are putting more hp out and are running slicks burnouts are unnecessary. Radial tires actually get greasy when burning out.
The track makes us do a burnout cause you have to drive through the water box since there's no way around it. Sucks when you have a one tire fryer for sure which is why I'm glad both rams have had lsd

·
Registered
102 Posts
Honestly that rule makes little to no sense (requiring a burnout because you have to drive through the burn out box) the front tires are going to drag up just as much water as the backs. Must be an old school track since most newer/updated tracks have enough room for you to drive around the BO box if you choose to.

Just curious what do they do to other street cars that dont have enough power to burn the tires?

·
Banned
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honestly that rule makes little to no sense (requiring a burnout because you have to drive through the burn out box) the front tires are going to drag up just as much water as the backs. Must be an old school track since most newer/updated tracks have enough room for you to drive around the BO box if you choose to.

Just curious what do they do to other street cars that dont have enough power to burn the tires?
I guess they figure that the drive wheels(whether it be fwd, rwd, or awd) should be dry and the other wheels don't matter. Plus they don't prep past like 60 ft so shows how they run the track. And it is, I've seen pics of it from the 80s and the only real differences is they've moved some stands and took down the bridge that was over the track; not sure when the track was actually built though. There was a caliber there a month ago running 19s but I didn't see how she did a burnout or at least spin the tires. I guess eventually they have to spin right?

·
Banned
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anybody else notice a little noise(kind of like wind) in first gear below 1500 rpm when lightly accelerating at parking lot speeds(under 10 mph)? It goes away when I get harder on the throttle or when I get above that rpm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts