DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
co2 was high
smog guy "suggested" replace the o2,then maybe the cat.

I could smell her runnin rich at the smog shop ?
wouldnt a diagnostic tell me whats wrong ?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
yes and no because it is hard to mimic the exact conditions in which it was doing it, if u haven't done a tune up in awhile i would start with that first then see if she is running any better, u can always move on to more expensive stuff later if need be

·
Registered
709 Posts
If you smell it burning rich then your O2 sensors need to be replaced. The O2 sensors control the A/F ratio. While your at it, do a full tune up.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
tune up, air filter, oil change
high test gas
drive it for 20 or 30 miles on the way to the smog test, even if the smog station is right across the road

read this before returning to the smog test
it is about our California tests & how to best pass the test
http://www.smogtips.com/six_things.cfm

·
Registered
247 Posts
o2s kind of help with the control of air fuel ratio but the map sensor will cause the truck to rich, exspecially if it isnt reading correctly, do an engine decarb, if you have access to a scanner read what the map snesor is reading

·
Registered
709 Posts
O2 sensors don't kind of help. They help a lot. Replacing your MAP sensor won't make you get better gas miliage.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK current update !
So far....4 smog shops have turned me down for even testing it !
cat conv does not "match" the truck !
all has to do "wcrx" # on the emissions label

truck is still runnin rich,(smells rich)
tuneup was done several months ago,always run shell gas,seafoam about every third tank,mo mil lights on ?????

according to those "wcrx" #'s....I cant get a cat thats compliant,cant even buy some other cat (illegal in Kali)

NOW ! I here that if I claim a rural address for the truck....ya dont have go thru smog in Kali ????

Anybody here in rural California that can verify that ???

allowable wccrx # = wcrxa0360h31 /h32 /j31
mine wcrxt05.95b1 wcrxe0174gdh

·
Registered
247 Posts
O2 sensors don't kind of help. They help a lot. Replacing your MAP sensor won't make you get better gas miliage.
do some research on map sensor and what they control, if your ecm see higher then normal reading from the map sensor it will add fuel to richen the mixture. when you mash that little pedal that on the right all the way to the floor it will see full 5volts and dump plenty of fuel into the engine. at idle with 20 lbs of engine vacuum it should read around .8 of volt. anything then normal reading will make the ecm think that the throttle is opened or is under a load it will make the injectors stay open longer. mis adjusted valves on an engine will cause a rich condition. a leaky fuel pressure reg. will add rich conditions. even a slightly stuck open injector will cause a rich condition. i can keep going

·
Registered
709 Posts
Do A/F ratio meters come with MAP sensors?

·
Registered
247 Posts
air fuel ratio meters the air to fuel ratio in the exhaust. o2sensor aka oxygen sensor measure the oxygen in the exhaust. usually oygen sensor are before and after the convertor to see if the convertor is functioning properly and do help in meter the injector pulse. every car has map sensor and o2 sensor, some car have air fuel ratio sensor. like some car have mass air flow sensor and some dont. once you learn how each sensor correspond with each other in order to make the modern day combustion engine work properly then you can take your foot out of mouth and speak. till then go buy an ase book on engine performance and read it front to back till you under stand it

·
Registered
709 Posts
Read post #3....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts