DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone got a question for you.

I have original rims and tires on my Ram 4x4 5.7 Hemi SLT. I want to go with 285/70/17 ......... factory is 265/70/17
Can I do that? Is it going to affect the speedometer reading? Damage alignment and such? Thanks in advance?

·
Registered
42 Posts
no alignment problem...it will affect speedo, chech it with gps so you know how much...I switched from factory 17's to factory 20 inch, which are 33 inches tall, speedo is now 3mph low at 60 mph, which also means the mpg readings on the dash will also be 1mpg low. my mileage did not go down with the SRA's, but did go down when I put on Firestone Destination AT's by 1mpg. However the ride improvement alone was worth it.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Alignment is only affected if you mess with the shocks or ride height

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
IF you stock wheels are 7", do not put 285/70/17 tires on them.

They are too narrow and will make the truck handling go to crap and are actually unsafe.
Been there, done that.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
IF you stock wheels are 7", do not put 285/70/17 tires on them.

They are too narrow and will make the truck handling go to crap and are actually unsafe.
Been there, done that.
To add to this: tire manufacturers publish recommended rim widths for tires in each size. You don't have to follow it but like Paco said, if you don't you could end up with your rims floating around inside the tires

1 - 6 of 6 Posts