DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i'm new to Ram Forumz and these is my first post,
I'm having some problems with my 02 Dodge Ram the rear differential just went out on me i called all salvage yards in the area and can't find one with the same gear ratio and my mechanic said he found one but it's going to cost me $1600 plus the labor, I found several differentials with a 3.92 gear ratio but my truck has a 3.55 can i just take off the 3.55 and drop in the 3.92 and are both differentials made alike or will i have any problems bolting it in and will shaft work or will i have any problems.
The front differential has a stripped shaft so i would have to replace it too so i would be replacing both differentials at the same time.

All help will be highly appreciated

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Hi and a big hello to a fellow NC'ian. From what I've read here as long as you both front a rear diffs to the same gearing you should be good to go. Welcome again and I invite you to drop by our Newbie Checkin to introduce yourself. :Hey:

·
Registered
971 Posts
man if that's a 2wd you are getting jacked....guy here will do my swap both axles 3.55 to 3.92 (everything, down to the master install kit) for 12-1400....I would check somewhere else...if it's just a 2wd axle swap it's not a big deal...but like RR said, 4wd needs the same front and rear

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies,
it is a 4WD it I purchased it with the front differential stripped so I knew I would have to replace it but my main concern is if the 3.92 will bolt to the chasis and to the drive shaft just like the 3.55 or will I need to do some modifications to make if fit,
also jc4041 for 1400 are you getting both complete differentials or just the ring and pinion also are these used parts or new,

once again thanks for help

·
Registered
971 Posts
jc4041 for 1400 are you getting both complete differentials or just the ring and pinion also are these used parts or new,

once again thanks for help
new ring and pinion front and back and new diff in the back, everything from putting it in the air to the last drop of gear oil and a "relook" after the breakin period.

A lot of the guys on base have used him and he's a 4wd guru.

as for yours....if it's a 9.25 rear end, it should mount just fine...unless it's a 2009 1500....then you'll have to do some work on it since they changed to the coils

1 - 6 of 6 Posts