DODGE RAM FORUM banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
What about a '16? I don't ever see an ECO light in my dash but I can tell when it's coming on and off by the "bog"

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ok thanks. I'll take a look at my settings tonight.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Interesting thread I'm new to the Ram, but not the 5.7, I own an 08 Charger. In most of the LX platform the ECO light being illuminated does not coincide with MDS being activated. the ECO light just means you are not using a lot of fuel for the given operating parameters. The MDS defiantly means MDS is activated. could that be the same with the Rams. not that it matters.
Q. In general, how bad is the MDS drone when mods are a cat back and a CAI?
I found it really annoying with the Charger and those mods.
My intent is to do exactly that, along with other bolt ons.

·
Registered
62 Posts
WOW. I just tried using the "paddle shifters" , going form 1-8 and I'm happy that that works. no ECO light, no MDS .Truck seems to hand in gear a little bit longer, does this effect the shifting pattern / points?
The MDS didn't bother me, but I'm new to the truck, and I read that the 14s the engineers did a better job with the in/out parameters?
This alone is worth the price of admission!
Thanks!...to whoever posted this

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a new '16 QC and I love driving it with the shifter set to 8th. It must be something weird in my driving style but I have found that I have actually gained about 1/2 MPG driving in manual mode. One of my few gripes with the truck was that when cruising, the MDS would definitely bog when trying to accelerate mildly and I think that may be the source of my increased mileage. I found that if I kicked it in the butt, it would come out of MDS faster, but that would result in accelerating more than needed and having to back off. With the MDS turned off, I can just push it by the amount actually needed and I'm saving gas. Especially since I'm driving in Southern California traffic and needing to speed up and slow down by moderate amounts a lot. Also nothing to do with MDS, but I love crushing Bimmers and Audis off the line. :)

Cheers
Jason

·
Registered
83 Posts
With a tuner, can the MDS parameters be changed, or is it all or nothing? I'd like to set it so that it doesn't come on unless I'm over 65 MPH for example.

·
Registered
148 Posts
With a tuner, can the MDS parameters be changed, or is it all or nothing? I'd like to set it so that it doesn't come on unless I'm over 65 MPH for example.
I would also like to know this. For me, I'd like to keep it from activating below 50. I'll just keep it in '5' for now, whenever cruising around town. :smileup: MDS sure sounds like crap with an aftermarket muffler! I swear mine activates as low as 25 mph.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would also like to know this. For me, I'd like to keep it from activating below 50. I'll just keep it in '5' for now, whenever cruising around town. :smileup: MDS sure sounds like crap with an aftermarket muffler! I swear mine activates as low as 25 mph.
Thank You Mr. Watson :smileup: You just saved me $400 LOL

I just installed a K&N stock filter & a Magnaflow 12278. Driving around I noticed it sounded like it was being choked at times. Didn't think about it being the MDS :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thank You Mr. Watson :smileup: You just saved me $400 LOL

I just installed a K&N stock filter & a Magnaflow 12278. Driving around I noticed it sounded like it was being choked at times. Didn't think about it being the MDS :)
I didn't mind the MDS until I installed a Magnaflow muffler. Funny how hearing something means that you also feel it more.

I've played with it a bit and I don't see any appreciable improvement in fuel economy as displayed by the information center on the truck as I toggle between 8th gear (where MDS won't kick in) and regular drive (where it does). I'm not sure it's worth $400 for a tuner to shut it off, especially when I don't really find any reason to adjust any of the other parameters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is great information! Read the whole thread! I'll be giving it a try on my 2011 and also see if I get a warmer cab in the winter with all 8 cylinders running all the time in our cold weather of northern Ontario, Canada!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, 2014 ram hemi here with the 6 speed, I use the column to shut off mds all the time while in town and on the Hwy I just deal. I was wondering if it's possibly the torque converter causing the vibration though? Any thoughts?

121 - 140 of 144 Posts