DODGE RAM FORUM banner

141 - 144 of 144 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
Does disabling the MDS via tuning or putting the RAM into 5th or 6th gear manually, have an affect on engine wear?

Thanks!

No, the 8 MDS lifters disconnect the top and bottom parts so the valves stop opening, and the PCM cuts fuel to those cylinders. The pistons are still moving up and down, around the crank, lifters are still following the cam. I suppose the valves, pushrods, and rockers may get a little less theoretical wear, but not anything you'd ever know about. This is something Chrysler specifically tested for 13 years ago when they implemented it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
No, the 8 MDS lifters disconnect the top and bottom parts so the valves stop opening, and the PCM cuts fuel to those cylinders. The pistons are still moving up and down, around the crank, lifters are still following the cam. I suppose the valves, pushrods, and rockers may get a little less theoretical wear, but not anything you'd ever know about. This is something Chrysler specifically tested for 13 years ago when they implemented it.
Thanks for your reply. That pretty much answered all my questions. Have a good evening!

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I’m going to have to try this to see how it affects the drive ability of the truck. If it helps it warm up faster in the winter, that’s bonus.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is direct from the chat with the Ram Hemi Engineers.

To disable the MDS, put your shifter from D to 5 (as displayed on the EVIC or cluster). With the console shifter, this is just one hit to the left. With the column shifter you need to push the +- button - one time.

Your trans will still shift up and down automatically through all the gears.

Tow/haul button is not the correct method.
What about on a 2015 5.7 any tricks to kill the msd. Thanks jack

141 - 144 of 144 Posts