DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 2014 Ram Sport 5.7 hemi. My whole life I have always head and seen the most AWSOME things from Dodge and thier mighty Ram truck. Needless to say it’s all been a lifetime of magic, horse-shit and swamp gas. I ended up with a Ram with bad cam and lifters…. And Dodge could care less.. Hell I would have been better off with an old Datsun truck or something

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Is Dodge even considering a recal or anything???
By last year, there had been over 3 million new HEMI engines built and that number is growing larger every day! (Source Google)
If "just 30000 Hemi's (which is a fair amount nominally) have the cam lifter issue, this would be then 1%.
If from those 30000 Hemi's 25000 Hemi's having this issue past 100000 miles, which is likely the case, because until a few years ago, there was a 100000 mile warranty on drive train, until they lowered it to 60000, then we are having 0.17% warranty cases- which is far below the radar. Most engines last- if not, trust me- there would be already rods (and heads) flying in Auburn Hills.
Why it looks like, many have those issue is, that if someone has this issue, the first way is into a forum and complaining about it- like you did (joined 1hr ago, 2 posts). Beside you, and maybe 500 people in this forum, who had this issue, there are 29999500 others out there, who's Hemi is just fine.

I know, it's nasty, when it hits you and I understand the anger- but that's just, how it is. I know- some trying class action lawsuits- but to be honest- as old as this issue is- if it would have the chance of success, there would be already an official law suit on the judge's table.
Another fact is, that lots of those failing, also lacking proper maintenance- other than recommended oils, people pouring additives in it, extending the oil change interval, think, an aftermarket oil filter is better than the original one (reality- the aftermarket one is cheaper)... etc. which I cannot understand- as I go to my RAM Dealer and they make the oil change including inspection and tire rotation for $39.99. I can not buy oil and filter that cheap, that it's worth it to lay myself in the dirt. I have the original filter in and the oil they use (Pennzoil) is the right one (btw- FCA developed the Hemi in cooperation with Pennzoil. Forget all those freaks, thinking they have to buy some special oils. Nobody ever could prove, the engines lasting longer or certain issues do not occur, whether if or if not you put this or that specific oil in it.

with other words- if you want to be on the safe side, buy an extended warranty and in worst case scenario, you're with $100 copay in the game. (of course, they will charge you for fluids and filters extra, but that's neglectable).

The root cause is, that it can happen, that the oil channel to the lifters clogs up and the bearing which rolls over the cam stops turning, causing the bearing to wear one sided and getting stuck.
the only thing you can do, is oil change. Oil change and Oil change.... - the rest- well- either it happens, or it don't. and 3 million Hemi's show, that mostly, it doesn't.

As I understand your anger- but all I can say is - sorry for you and welcome to the club.
But the Truck is not a bad truck because of it and the Hemi is still THE engine, all others wish they had.

Good luck and I hope you get it fixed good.

·
Happy Ram - No more GM
2017 Silverado 1500 QC 4x4.
996 Posts
I’ve got a 2014 Ram Sport 5.7 hemi. My whole life I have always head and seen the most AWSOME things from Dodge and thier mighty Ram truck. Needless to say it’s all been a lifetime of magic, horse-shit and swamp gas. I ended up with a Ram with bad cam and lifters…. And Dodge could care less.. Hell I would have been better off with an old Datsun truck or something
I had lifter blled down issues with my 17 Ram hemi, traded it off. Dealt it with warranty left, did not want it outside of warranty.

·
Registered
86 Posts
"Could care less" ?
So they fixed it because they cared some?
361,000 on my 2007 and not a single camshaft issue. I haven't even been all that diligent on the 5000 mile oil change interval. I've ran it to 7000 miles between changes a few times. I still have the original serpentine belt on mine too.
Did you join here expecting to get a flood of sympathy? Are you 25 years old or younger and need a "cry room" ?
Guy65 is right. The failure rate of the engine is very low. It happens but not very often. You should check the reliability history of vehicles built in the 70s. GM had a run of soft cams that went flat back then. Fords should have been sold with new shoes so their owners would have a comfortable walk to get help when their trucks broke down.
Todays vehicles are far more reliable than ever.
For the record, extensive idling isn't good for these engines.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Extensive idling is not good for any engine because it promotes carbon build up in the cylinders.

This has become a nation of people who think they are owed everything and that when something does happen someone else has to pay for it. It is not just young people who are adopting this attitude, there are many older people expecting the same garbage.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 2013 had cam/lifter problems back in 2019. Been there and I know how you feel right now. Bite the bullet, fix the engine and get past the failure. You'll be happy with the truck again.
So you heard a lot of things about Dodge all your life. Your truck is made by Ram and that only started in 2010. I only say because you mention Datsun. I had an old Datsun, they were good until they broke.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Former service tech, and engineer here. Here's my 2 cents. First of all. Yes, the Chrysler Corporation we all know and love, is gone. Replaced by a multinational conglomerate. ONLY interested in making money. That being said. I can tell you with 100 percent confidence, that they are no worse than ANY other manufacturer. Some others just hide it better. If you really think you are better off with another brand. Then go buy it. But guess what. You WILL have problems with any brand these days. Why? Because of the JIT method of a parts sourcing and assembly. everyone, and I mean EVERYONE uses the same 6 suppliers for the majority of OEM parts these days. Don't believe me? Look it up. The information is out there. The point is. Sure there are design flaws in every automobile. And yes, if you have bad luck, they will catch up with you. But overall, they are far more reliable than in days past. BUT, automobile reliability is only going to get WORSE in the future. As more and more mechanical components are replaced or assisted by computers. And guess what. There's no such thing as a reliable computer. They are written with thousands of lines of code, by humans who are bored, and hate their jobs. As of right now, every single person in the USA is an unpaid Beta tester for just about every consumer goods manufacturer on earth. Think about that. Coupled with the fact that these manufacturers have planned obsolescence and unserviceability into almost every product made. And that the environatzis have all but guaranteed the death of the ICE in the very near future. Consider yourself lucky you have it so good right now. As the future looks more bleak than ever. Savor every day you get to drive an automobile. Because it's ending sooner than you think.

·
Registered
20 Posts
By last year, there had been over 3 million new HEMI engines built and that number is growing larger every day! (Source Google)
If "just 30000 Hemi's (which is a fair amount nominally) have the cam lifter issue, this would be then 1%.
If from those 30000 Hemi's 25000 Hemi's having this issue past 100000 miles, which is likely the case, because until a few years ago, there was a 100000 mile warranty on drive train, until they lowered it to 60000, then we are having 0.17% warranty cases- which is far below the radar. Most engines last- if not, trust me- there would be already rods (and heads) flying in Auburn Hills.
Why it looks like, many have those issue is, that if someone has this issue, the first way is into a forum and complaining about it- like you did (joined 1hr ago, 2 posts). Beside you, and maybe 500 people in this forum, who had this issue, there are 29999500 others out there, who's Hemi is just fine.

I know, it's nasty, when it hits you and I understand the anger- but that's just, how it is. I know- some trying class action lawsuits- but to be honest- as old as this issue is- if it would have the chance of success, there would be already an official law suit on the judge's table.
Another fact is, that lots of those failing, also lacking proper maintenance- other than recommended oils, people pouring additives in it, extending the oil change interval, think, an aftermarket oil filter is better than the original one (reality- the aftermarket one is cheaper)... etc. which I cannot understand- as I go to my RAM Dealer and they make the oil change including inspection and tire rotation for $39.99. I can not buy oil and filter that cheap, that it's worth it to lay myself in the dirt. I have the original filter in and the oil they use (Pennzoil) is the right one (btw- FCA developed the Hemi in cooperation with Pennzoil. Forget all those freaks, thinking they have to buy some special oils. Nobody ever could prove, the engines lasting longer or certain issues do not occur, whether if or if not you put this or that specific oil in it.

with other words- if you want to be on the safe side, buy an extended warranty and in worst case scenario, you're with $100 copay in the game. (of course, they will charge you for fluids and filters extra, but that's neglectable).

The root cause is, that it can happen, that the oil channel to the lifters clogs up and the bearing which rolls over the cam stops turning, causing the bearing to wear one sided and getting stuck.
the only thing you can do, is oil change. Oil change and Oil change.... - the rest- well- either it happens, or it don't. and 3 million Hemi's show, that mostly, it doesn't.

As I understand your anger- but all I can say is - sorry for you and welcome to the club.
But the Truck is not a bad truck because of it and the Hemi is still THE engine, all others wish they had.

Wish I could get dealer oil changes for 39.95, it's about $30 higher at my local dealer.

·
Registered
65 Posts

I experienced the same buyers remorse when the LS7 developed trunion bearing issues at 5k on my vette,Used it as a excuse to upgrade,not really comparable to a total failure of your hemi. I don’t think they fixed the poor oiling of the cam and valvetrain yet according to uncle Tony’s garage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, the inherent cam failure / lifter issue. The reason is the new hemi had been designed with horizontal and not vertical lifters. And no way for oil to splash on them at IDLE. Above 1200 rpm, it’s perfect.
But, there are a couple fixes. One, replace cam and lifters. Your lifter bores might be toast and the whole engine needs to get pulled. Two, replace cam and lifters, install a high flow oil pump and increase the pressure to 10 more psi. If it’s old, it might need a rebuild. Three, replace cam and lifters and install a lifter / cam oil spray bar. Four, replace the cam and lifters and stop driving it in idle. And Five, replace with a new one from Southeast Performance. The hemi is a huge step up for add ons and a great competitor with the LS. Runs strong and not much of the big issues except the lifter and cam oiling. To be able to bolt on a blower, it’s a masterpiece. John can build you a new one for the came cost as a new crate stock motor and the happiest Dodge Hemi owner in town. Southeastperformance.net.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I guess some people don’t realize that most of us are here because we love our Rams. This is not the way to make friends, but good for trolling.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Love the above replies! The new world,
It's a 7 year old truck. "Needless to say"...it's foolish to expect them to care.
I know this isn’t politically correct but I bought an 11 Audi A3 still beat on it at 50 k and although I hate imports I never had anything more then a airbag recall.But my 19 ram is a blast and if it has a cam or VT problem,that I can early diagnose I would have a helluva good time upgrading it. But I’m a one off I guess.
882A0ED9-6086-4853-93C1-5EB5F79BB1B8.jpeg

·
Registered
144 Posts
The only vehicle you'll never have any issues with is a Toyota, period.
They simply don't break, I'm 60 and have had one in my drive way in one model or the other since I was 16.
I have an 03 RCSB that I'm very pleased with, never a bit of problems, but I don't have the MDS system either.
Because threads suck without pictures.
IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_1528.JPG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I have now a dose of reality, too. My Chrysler T&Country with the 3.6L Pentastar, piece of crap engine, has a defective left (cyls 2,4,&6) cylinder head, and, while they have replaced tens of thousands under an extended warranty program for the 3.6L engine, my van is early 2014, and they are arbitrarily excluding my vehicle.
Don't think Jeep, Dodge, or Chrysler...THINK FIAT !!
BTW, Fiat just sold off to another company; RENAULT !! 'Talk about junk, and NO CUSTOMER SERVICE for their design deficiencies !
Don't buy their products...That's the bottom line. :))

·
Registered
35 Posts
The only vehicle you'll never have any issues with is a Toyota, period.
They simply don't break, I'm 60 and have had one in my drive way in one model or the other since I was 16.
I have an 03 RCSB that I'm very pleased with, never a bit of problems, but I don't have the MDS system either.
Because threads suck without pictures.
I've put nearly 800k miles on 6 rams and am on my 7th now. Worst issue I've had is wheel bearings and a cracked manifold. The one tundra I've owned dropped a transmission 2k miles over warranty and left me stranded 1000 miles from home. So much for "don't break, period".

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've put nearly 800k miles on 6 rams and am on my 7th now. Worst issue I've had is wheel bearings and a cracked manifold. The one tundra I've owned dropped a transmission 2k miles over warranty and left me stranded 1000 miles from home. So much for "don't break, period".
There's always a lemon somewhere. Million mile vehicles as long as you do your part.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I guess some people don’t realize that most of us are here because we love our Rams. This is not the way to make friends, but good for trolling.
Actually I first came here when my 2015 Outdoorsman did something unexpected.
I found the fix on this site. Been following the site ever since. The “love” part has developed over the years as my truck has served me well.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts