DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reposting from Ram forum to this one.
I have a 2014 Ram 2500. When at a stop with the defrost on and the vehicle is regening I get the diesel exhaust smell. I understand while defrost is on, it is pulling in fresh air. I took it to Dodge and they can not force regen the truck. So I took it to another shop, after putting over 300 miles on the truck. While making circles around the dealer to try and get it to act up. The other shop did a desoot. Instantly you get the smell in the truck. They kept the truck over night and smoked the full exhaust system. Found a minor leak at the tail pipe clamp. They where unable to find any other leaks. Took it back to Dodge and they did a desoot also and noticed the smell. The smell was not as strong as it has been for me and my family. A desoot is not a full regen cycle. So I would imagine the smell will not be as strong. Dodge was unable to find any leaks but acknowledges the smell. Dodge was going to replace the EGR and Chrysler Care called them and told them no. That the smell is normal and there is nothing they can do. Chrysler Care then told them if customer smells the fumes just turn off the defroster. I have driven many Chevy's and Fords for work purposes and never have I smelled exhaust during regen. The engineer that stopped all work on my truck also stated it is just physics. When in regen mode and you come to a stop there is no pressure forcing the additional back pressure out. So I managed to save up and purchase my first new $65,000 truck just to poison my family with exhaust fumes.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I've known a few Cummins guys that switched ... to the 6.4L hemi and were very happy. Friend of mine traded his cummins 5500 ramp truck for a new one with the hemi, said the mpgs are very close and while the hemi has a bit less grunt, it still pulls great. He said the biggest difference= hard to keep under the speed limit on long highway runs. IMHO, the regen is BS, the government trying to force out diesels.:smiledown:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've known a few Cummins guys that switched ... to the 6.4L hemi and were very happy. Friend of mine traded his cummins 5500 ramp truck for a new one with the hemi, said the mpgs are very close and while the hemi has a bit less grunt, it still pulls great. He said the biggest difference= hard to keep under the speed limit on long highway runs. IMHO, the regen is BS, the government trying to force out diesels.:smiledown:
Very Very sad! We have a 40' toy hauler that used to be pulled by 2006 F250. Trailer weighs in at 19,800. My Ram just chugs along no problem pulling it. Everyone that has installed a dpf delete has fixed the issue. But Chryslers engineers apparently are not intelligent enough to figure out there own problems.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You have been given bad information.... IF you are getting 'any kind' of exhaust smells in the cab, you have a problem, most likely either a cracked DPF or EGR gasket.... If you put your nose at the tail pipe with engine running you'll likely smell zero diesel smells.... The diesel smell means that it is a pre-treatment issue.... May also lead to dangerous CO (carbon monoxide) levels in the cab - can cause drowsiness....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a separate company check the entire exhaust. They smoke tested the whole exhaust system. They smoked it from the tip and the exhaust manifold. I purchased a C02 monitor with read out. The only problem is it is currently 109 degrees. Not using defrost right now. Tried running AC threw the defrost just does not work well. I am no engineer but my guess is that the EGR is remaining open as you come to a stop. Since there are no throttle plates on a diesel the exhaust is escaping threw the intake. Passenger front is where the smell is the strongest and where the air filter is.
Thank you!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you to anyone that keeps giving me ideas and support! Chrysler Care does not Care one bit. Well that's not true they only care about themselves!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I well concur with you about Chrysler Care, in truth, by design it is a mere firewall between you and you're getting a factory solution to a factory problem - the strategy employed is to make you grow hopeless... I hate BIG gov't, but this post sale support matter is an area where consumer protection really NEEDS to be involved....You can also file (per a CO issue) a complaint with NHTSA, but nothing will happen overnight (I'm from the gov't, I'm here to help - lol!!)...

As for your diesel smell problem, I think that a smoke visual test is inadequate at detecting a relatively minor but nuisance leak - I would look into a infrared or ultraviolet light test medium provided by a different vendor...Your problem is very real, you'll likely have to persevere through to another detection venue to target the fault...

Sadly, Chrysler won't work too hard to detect a fault...Having said that, Ford support is even worse, and their new 6.7 diesel is considered by powerstroke help.com to be only a 150k mi motor....

Check here for IR detection:

http://www.rkiinstruments.com/?utm_...m=toxic gas monitor&utm_content=Gas Detection

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I started a claim and looked at the detectors. I will do some more research on the detectors and see if it is in my budget.
Again thank you for any Suggestions.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Call around, you may be able to locate an independent diesel shop that already has the instrument and can locate the leak for you....the fee should be relatively minor...

On a different note, the smoke test may not be preformed under real world 'operating conditions' (engine may not even be running- ??) whereas the Instrument detection method will be real world...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem, with the smell mostly on the passenger side, we took truck back in, they found leaks in the gasket and clamps on the egr tubing. They replaced the gaskets and clamps. No smell since fixed on 2/7.

Just for Reference, here are the parts and the invoice problem write-up:

The parts they replaced on mine were:
2 clamps part# 68005467-AA
2 gaskets part# 68005465-AA

The description of problem: found EGR gasket and clamps on EGR tube leaking. Replaced EGR gasket and clamps to EGR cooler.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you but they checked all of the egr system.
This weekend my check engine light came on and the display said Service DEF system see dealer. Now they are replacing my catylist.
So we will see. Service writer said that they have been having issues with the catalyst

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the updates and for keeping your thread alive... Fact is, a high volume dealerships shop with a warranty parts bin at arms length is often not the best place to conduct troubleshooting...This, a R&R culture that doesn't foster effective troubleshooting.

As a last resort (engine off but warm), I'd duct tape a leaf blower to the tail pipe (hi volume but low pressure) and spray some liquid gas detector (from Home Depot) around all the joints...You have a leak or a crack in the DPF body, its ok to be resourceful here, we're not really talking rocket science....JMO

Bunkysdad

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have tried multiple different ways to leak detect the system. Have never found a leak. I have not tried the infered gas detector yet. From everything I have experienced I honestly believe that the smell is coming from the air filter. Egr stays open and when you come to a stop there is a lot of back pressure in the exhaust. With the egr staying open and diesels not having throttle plates it is the only place for it to go. When we did a desoot and the hood was open. I noticed the smell from the passenger front. Surprise that is where the air filter is.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thank you but they checked all of the egr system.
This weekend my check engine light came on and the display said Service DEF system see dealer. Now they are replacing my catylist.
So we will see. Service writer said that they have been having issues with the catalyst
I think your dealer is incompetent .... Chrysler mow, blow & go SOP

·
Registered
6 Posts
You really should file a report with NHTSA

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

once they start getting complaints, they start a file on it
if they don't get complaints, nothing can be done

They have a complaint on something similar, it may have nothing to do with yours

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM499819/RCLRPT-14V635-6063.PDF
Thank you, I filed a complaint.

I posted about this in another thread (searched for "exhaust cabin") about this same issue in my 6 month old $68,000 MSRP truck (that's not what I paid but that's what they want to sell it for... Ridiculous).

Beyond the fact that this is dangerous for the people in the truck, the vehicle (still under warranty) emits untreated exhaust gases into the environment, this does not seem to conform to the regulations and it appears to be fairly common in old and new vehicles.
But the problem here is to prove that it does this.

I did a few searches on the web, including YouTube where I found great info about the various technologies used to manage diesel exhaust gases.

I am very certain that this is not due to any part of the exhaust system going to the back of the vehicle, all that is fine in my truck.
The smell is under the hood.

My next steps will be:

1. Try to park when this occurs and look/search under the hood for the smell.
  2. Use various techniques for detecting leaks, for example, try putting and leaving in place some pieces of material to collect soot where I think it may be coming from.
  3. Continue to track these threads, communicate with others, and find detection mechanisms that work when the issue is happening.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.