DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now my old school train of thought is the alt or regulator is shot,I've replaced both of them and still when I disconnect either post the truck dies instantly so now I'm at a loss. Are there any wiring gurus that could help me with what to check next. I set my volt reader to DCV 20 and it reads 1680 to 1700 with no increase at a higher rpm nor any loss with all acces on.
The truck is a 1987 Ram 150 w/ 5.9 engine.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I would have to say without looking at anything, either a bad ground or bad fuse link - IF it is all connected and wired correctly.
Also assuming you have a good alt and regulator (which I am also assuming is external since you say you replaced it.

Do you have a wiring diagram?

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
I don't have the answer, electrical stuff is out of my knowledge base

I don't recall if your vehicle has a Ballast Resistor or not, they are pretty cheap

I too would think about removing the Negative cable off of the battery to check the Generator or Alternator
( Negative cable is removed first & reconnected last )

The newest preferred way is to leave the cables attached, just turn on the headlights, radio & A/C while running the engine at idle
But, who has the time for all of that :4-dontknow:

Is your Coil getting Hot, we used to flip it upside down to get a bit more life out of it.

Is your coil the Resistor Type ? if it is & you also have a Ballast Resistor mounted on the firewall, you would be running too much resistance

Do you have a Condenser mounted either internally or externally to the coil ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Now my old school train of thought is the alt or regulator is shot,I've replaced both of them and still when I disconnect either post the truck dies instantly so now I'm at a loss. Are there any wiring gurus that could help me with what to check next. I set my volt reader to DCV 20 and it reads 1680 to 1700 with no increase at a higher rpm nor any loss with all acces on.
The truck is a 1987 Ram 150 w/ 5.9 engine.
My old school is it will not run with the battery disconnected. That is on alternators. You can remove the battery when you have the old generator and they keep running.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
it reads 1680 to 1700
You mean 16.8-17 volts? That seems a bit high. What does it read when the truck is not running (at the battery) and running? truck should stay running if the output of the alternator is higher than the load(ignition/pcm etc) with the battery disconnected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts