DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , im new here and just purchased a 2011 ram 1500,i have been a ford fan for 20 years,my last ford f 150 gave me quite a bit of troubles after 75,000 miles . so i figured i try something else, anyways, i have had the ram for about 3 weeks now,yesterday it was about 4 degrees out, when i went to start it the check engine light came on, i checked it on a code reader .it was the o2 sensor upstream bank 2. it then went off on the way home. to day the gas mileage display reset itself ?. but i have noticed when im sitting at a light or just idling the mileage keeps fluctuating ? i dont think it did this before? does any body know if theres will keep changing while standing still? thanks for any help, i hope i haven't made a big mistake switching brands, kinda early to be having problems. thanks again greg.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I believe that there was a tsb for a flash update to the truck because it is throwing codes, mine did the same when I got it and after a simple "flash"vat the dealer I haven't had any problems. Hopefully someone with more info will chime in. Best of luck and congrats on the new ride.

Brandon

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
if the reset gas milage is reset it will fluctuate alot for the first tank or so of gas until it can get a good average to display. in my truck if i reset it might display 5mph at a red light then once im driving ill get 22 mpg it just keeps taking the milage for that instant and constantly averaging it. if you would like i can post a video of this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks a lot guys, the check engine light has not come back on,i know sometimes those can come on for just about anything , but it went off within a few miles, so im not to worried about may have been just a fluke ,a bad start (hick up so to speak ) can cause it to pop on for a while . the thing that is confusing me is the mpg display, when i first got the truck it would say around 13. 5 or so (city driving) but it would not change very quickly ,like if i got on the high way it would go up a .1 about every few miles. now since it restarted itself ,it goes up and down kinda with the amount of throttle . for instance ,if i have it at say 14.0 at a red light ,when i leave the red light it will go down when im on the gas and as i level out to cruising it will go back up ,all within maybe 2 tenths of a mile, now it may sound stupid ,but im not sure which way it is suppose to work. before this reset it would only move up or down a tenth in maybe 5 miles of cruising? anyone that has one if you could just throw me a response on how yours is. my neighbor has a Chevy and his works like mine is working now. so im thinking maybe it was not working right when i got it? thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts