DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iv been looking at doing the lighting since i bought my 09 ram sport and looked at several posts and threads that dealt with the mod, but since i was doing it i decided to bring my camera along and post up some pictures to help people in the future that are doing the same mod. i went down to a local hardware and wiring store and go 4-9" red LED strips ($10 a piece) that had mounting hardware with the kit the rest of the wiring and all that i had laying around the garage so it made for an inexpensive mod Wire Electrical wiring Technology Electronic device Electronics
. i popped of several covers and interior bezels so i could run the wiring without having it noticable, had a hard time finding a ignition power source and didnt want to strip,solder, and shrink wrap in factory wiring harnesses. i used a temperary power source which was a old 12 volt male plug and wire and ran ir from the back of my console to the switch and fuseable link (10 amp fuse) under the dash on a mounting plate i also found at the hardware store until i pull my center console apart to add rearview camera,subs and paint and airbrush the grey interior parts to match the truck, at the same time i will hard wire the lights to the 12 volt plug in next to my shifter. Electrical wiring Wire Electrical supply Auto part Technology
Wire Electrical wiring Cable Electrical supply Trunk
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Carburetor Fuel line
Auto part Technology Vehicle Electronic device Engine
i mounted the driver side front LED to a stiff 12 gauge wire i had laying around that went from one side to the other and zip tied it all along where i could until i find a more permanent mounting spot because there isnt mayn places to mount to under the stearing wheel and then ran all my wires under the dash and colsole to the pasanger side to the light i had mounted to the metal plate where the glove box sits. from there i ran my wire under the carpet to the back of the rear seats. i mounted the lights in the rear to the storage covers (temporary until i put the sub box in then i will mount next to each 10 inch sub facing the front). the red LED match my new Alpine nav unit perfect which my computer isnt allowing me to attatch a pic of... ill try later
if you have and questions about the install or comments please feel free and post below I will try and get back to all questions

Attachments

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
nice job! looks good :rep:

Exco

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reps exco! i drove for about half a hour with them on and the rear ones caught the corner of my eye which drove me crazy... sigh... back to the drawing board, gonna see how it looks mounted to the front seat back crossmember for the seat frame facing back. i did that on my 04 ram and worked great.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
you're welcome for the rep. It's one of the things we try to do when a member does a mod that looks good, or is a good inspiration, or has a pretty good write up :D

Some thing you might want to try, though I'm not sure how well it will work for you is to scuff up the lights a little bit. This will reduce the brightness and/or glare that you're seeing. I had to do this when I installed a red LED under the dash of my PT Cruiser.

I wanted to have a light shining down on my cup holders, but once the install was complete it was like I had a red spot light, instead of a little subtle glow. I hit it with some fine sand paper lightly. It was enough to cloud up and diffuse the light output, therefore reducing the spot light effect. In hind sight I probably should've done it wet, but it still came pretty well. I'm not sure how well it'll work with what you did though.

perhaps someone else will chime in

good luck

Exco

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
unfortunately with these ones i cant sand them down they have a rubber compound casing, but i relocated them to under the front seat facing to the rear of the truck and it looks awesome! very happy with how it turned out :smiley_thumbs_up:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.