DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two heavy duty couplings from Home depot. $5.XX each. One schedule 80 90 degree electrical conduit sweep. $5.XX. One 3" filter from autozone. $20.

I got the spectre speed filter, and the filter was the same size as the pipe, so I used a second coupling to attach the filter. If you get the slightly larger filter, it is a little more expensive, but requires only 1 coupling. This is just slapped together and bolted on. I still have to paint it, and tap it for the IAT sensor. I trimmed 5" off of one end of the sweep, and put that end against the throttle body. You will also need a small filter for the pcv system. This is an alternative to the really expensive intake you buy. But, I won't promise it works as well as the better branded ones. Very simple, straightforward installation. I've done this on several vehicles, and this has been around for quite a while. I am not the first to do this, so I can't take credit for it.

- Christopher

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am looking to try something like this but it really needs to be boxed in to get away from that hot engine air. I would say the stock box is probably better than what you have now until you seal it away from the hot air of the engine. That is basically a hot air intake right now, but it looks good.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have been wondering why no one does this with the stock box. Are the box fittings the wrong size? I looks good. It would save a ton of money over a boxed CAI.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While you are moving down the road, the engine bay isn't as hot as you think. So, it is helpful for the highway mileage as is. I will probably put a semi-box around it one day. You could do this easily utilizing the stock box. Just trim out the edges of where the stock intake tube comes in, and slid the pipe into the stock box. I don't want to cut mine, and I don't have an extra, so I opted not to do that. I have done that on other vehicles, though. And, the title says short ram intake, not cold air intake. Sorry for the misinterpretation. If you wanted to have a CAI, just get a second sweep, cut it to fit, and route the filter towards the front and down some. Shouldn't be that hard, and is just as good. I prefer this, as it keeps the filter higher up..

- Christopher

·
Registered
105 Posts
I actually did mine keeping the stock box. I cut an old 3" cai from my 03 Gti and set it so the k&n cone filter sits in the stock air box. I trimmed the top portion by cutting out the 3" outlet so the cai can be easily accessed and the filter can be cleaned without tearing the whole thing out. Works nice and looks clean.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep. I've done that on other cars. With this, though, you need a tighter turn. You would need a 90 degree coupling, a straight section of piping, and then modify your airbox, as your airbox's entry is towards the rear of the engine bay, and this brings the filter towards the front where the air box was. Very simple, very cheap, and you can very easily modify it to be a true cold air intake. Some people just feel more comfortable paying for bolt on simplicity, I guess. I've picked up a few mpg, and it accelerates much easier. As far as cold air, its 20 degrees outside. I have a while before I have to worry about that.

- Christopher

1 - 6 of 6 Posts