DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 1752 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process if ordering parts to attempt to swap out my 5.0 uconnect radio with a 8.4 navigation radio. I will use this thread as a DIY for anyone else who is interested in doing the same thing. I have bought a nav radio, steering wheel audio controls and am planning on swapping everything out over the next two weeks. I will try to document everything with pictures so stay tuned.

Also, I know a guy who has quite a few nav players where even if you have the 8.4 without nav, you can replace yours and sell yours to offset the price. If you interested in one if these, let me know and I'll see if I can get us a bulk order deal!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can't wait to see how this works out for you. I have the 8.4a (no nav) I really wish I had the 8.4an (Nav). I don't want to pay 5 to 6 hundred to upgrade to a crappier version of the nav. THen hav to spend 150 every time I want to update the maps. Good luck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Interesting. I too will join the group in seeing how you progress on this. I have the RES Sirius radio with the hard radio buttons /steering wheel controls but no blue-tooth module/USB port. This upgrade would be worth my time if you can document how you make this work. Good luck!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, it's not the after market unit, it's the oem navigation. If you have the 8.4 without navigation, you could replace it with one with navigation (which has hd radio) and sell yours to offset the cost. It would be much cheaper than the $500 the dealers are charging...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It works, I'll post a DIY in the next few days, let me know if you want a brand new nav unit and I'll see if I can get a group pricing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'd be interested in a unit as well. I only have the 5.0. Interested in the cost and install because I want to the exact same thing! Adding radio controls to the steering wheel too!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too am very interested on the outcome. I also have the 5.0 uconnect and wanted to upgrade to the 8.4.
Best of luck!!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I got the trim piece with the AC controls and the plugs are different. So that is the only thing that did not go smooth. This means you need to have steering wheel audio controls to make this mod. The AC controls still work but you cannot adjust the AC on the screen, only the hard dials...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Originally Chrysler said this upgrade was not compatable with the lower systems. I am guessing that the screen controls will not work the functions in the truck, cooled seats, air, etc.

Most likely it is all software and maybe a module change somewhere but good luck trying to get that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am definitely interested in how this is done. I won't be doing it for a couple years, but an upgrade i am interested in. Looking forward to how this works for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also interested in purchasing this. I have the uconnect 3.0 for the ram 13 express. Will this work and what will not work.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 1752 Posts