DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing black rims when they come in stock and two of my local shops have told me not to buy black because they chip and scratch real easy. And that I will be very unhappy with my look after a few months of driving my truck every day to work..Can I get some help from guys who have black rims? Thx :doh:

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I've never heard that. I've always ran black wheels and never had a problem. I guess it could come down to HOW they are black. I'd prefer black to chrome that gets pitted and scratched too. get yourself some black wheels. usually black wheels are cheaper than their chrome counter parts so they might have been tryin to make money off you. I dunno, speculating here

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
had black on my last Ram..never had a problem...for sure going back to black when i have the cash laying around

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Chip and scratch resistance comes from the material/finish, not the color. Powder coat is much more resistant to damage than paint. You can also get paint that is very damage resistant and then also get paint that will pretty much scratch if you look at it too hard. Nothing will withstand a curb though.

The color(or lack there of) black is no more prone to damage than any other color.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thx guys for the in put I really want black but they have me thinking now so your info has helped..Im looking at the fuel hostages or throttles so I hope fuel wheels will hold up well and not chip like they said!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
fuel seems to have some good wheels. get the throttles, everyone has the hostages

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I hear you fish a lot of people have them..but no one has them where I live..so I could be the first one!!! But I have the black ram with the chrome grill and bumpers so the throttles would look nice as well!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah im trying to see if they are and also have you fast any trouble with black wheels chipn or scratching up real bad..

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Ive had my black teflon coated wheels for nearly 2 years and the only marks on them were there when i bought them.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I agree with everyone throwing the BS flag. Yeah, black powerdercoated/painted wheels can scratch or chip. But chrome can chip, scratch and flake and polished aluminin can stain and tarnish. If I had to rank finishes according to durability it would probably be:
1 powdercoat
2 chrome
3 paint
4 bare aluminum
5 bare polished aluminum

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok thx Sean so hope the black fuel rims will hold up because thats what I am getn then!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok sweet thx..Idont know what those guys were sayn then...

·
Registered
18,033 Posts
ok sweet thx..Idont know what those guys were sayn then...
That cause they probably tried painting a set and it chipped or they have never purchased black wheels or they dont have any black wheels in shop and wanted to sell you chrome.
I think the later to be correct or possibly all

1 - 15 of 15 Posts