DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently purchased a 2011 Ram 1500 with the 4.7. I tow about a 7.5k pound trailer a few times a month and its a little sluggish. I know it's to be expected being a 4.7, but I've heard of pretty decent gains using a tuner. Also, I feel like the truck is governing my speed from a launch (I do put my foot to the floor quite a bit:smiley_thumbs_up:). So I've looked into the pedal commander, and a superchips tuner. I like the fact that the pedal commander gives better throttle response, but I also want the torque of the tuner. Will a Superchips tuner also give better throttle response or do I need to buy both in order to have the best of both worlds? I would really rather stick to just one though for price purposes. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Is that trailers weight within your trucks towing capacity? I looked at a ram with the 4.7 and it wasn't capable of towing my 7000lb trailer.

Long tube headers with high flow cats would be my first choice. Then after that you might try a tunner.

Is your truck 2wd or 4wd?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe it’s borderline for my truck. My truck is 4wd. So a tuner wouldn’t immediately give me a gain on hp and torque?

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
You'll see a bigger gain from the headers. A tuner with a custom tune would be good after the headers for what you want.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The 2011 1500 4x4 with a 4.7 had a standard towing capacity of 5000 with a Max capacity of 7400. That is as advertised. It has a gcwr of 12500 and a gvw of 6700, if you max your gvw then you can only pull 5800lbs behind you. The curb weight is about 4880 for standard cab, they account for 150lb driver and 20lb variance giving you 7450 left in the GCVW for a trailer, rounded down to 7400 by Rams rule to round down to the nearest 50.

So, you may be close if there is nothing else in the truck other than you. Of course, then you need to do the payload calculations, because I think there are only 1440lbs of payload on that truck, depending on installed options.

But, to get back on topic, headers would be the better place to spend the money to get more power.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you are still towing with this truck, I suggest installing a Magnaflow or AeroStealth muffler, and Flowmaster Y-pipe. This will let loose more horsies...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts