DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like wallowy kinda..smash it to pull out to pass and it feels like the rea end is loose in the truck. might be the spring setup anymore idk.

also when I let off the brake at a light it seems like it has a bump in the rear end..not the gears..or the driveshaft like a really loose mount or bushing

anyone else?

·
Registered
53 Posts
How hard are you smashing it to pull out and pass? I ask because these trucks have enough power/ torque to power slide the rear end (not sure if that is the proper terminology... but it is what it does, lol). I can make very tight (well for a big truck) U turns by setting up the steering wheel and stomping on the gas in 2wd mode. The back just slides around and the front almost becomes a pivot point.. if I OVERDO it the back will hop and slide as it intermittently makes traction/ loses/ etc. The back end could be thought of as wallowing around under those circumstances but it is induced. That might be what you are feeling. I dont get any "bump" unless I have stuff in the bed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oh darn Redwagon... You are absolutely right. I forgot all about that. I had that "issue" til someone in t his very forum told me where to find it in the menu. Turned it off and voila! I'd have described it as a sticky brake sensation but a bump would certainly be within the realm of descriptors. That may be it indeed!

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Not sure what exactly what you mean by "loose" or if you have the open or Sure-Grip rear end, but the 5 link rear suspension in these trucks seems much less hoppy than leaf sprung trucks

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
My '16 has 49,000 miles and it still feels tight. If I get on the throttle, it'll just go, but I have good tires, air bags, and a limited slip diff.
The springs are fairly soft and will allow body roll if it's a sharp turn out and back in to pass someone, but it's also a roughly 5500# truck.

·
Registered
15,698 Posts
I have a 4x4 quad cab and my truck felt loose during quick maneuvers. Bumped tire pressure up to 40 psi. All was fine with the increased pressure.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im gonna try to get under it with a prybar this weekend..gotta do it soon..33000 mi just passed...if its got issues I wanna warranty it

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well I didn't find anything so im gonna let the dealer have alook just to be sure....its as if the panhard bar is loose..maybe the bushings are just too soft

gotta get it looked at before I put a gooseneck hitch in it

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
My 16 felt like that with the 17" wheels on it, even with the HD rear springs.
With the 20 X 9 wheels and 275/60/20 tires, it handles like a completely different truck - feels very stable now.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
What kind of truck do you have OP? At first I assumed you were talking about 1500s, but then you mentioned adding a gooseneck

·
Registered
69 Posts
yes its A 1500. I do have rebel tires and wheels on it. traded them at the dealer cuz my 04 had 20's and I hated them..rode like shit. the rebels are 17s. truck rides much better but it could be the looseness I feel.. idk..its just soft I guess with the coils not leafs im used to.

the gooseneck I want is just to have the truck as a spare for when my diesel is tied up...last one in my 04 rarely got used...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
stock rebel tires and wheels. brand new takeoffs. . I think its between the torque and the tire sway.. bit unsettling but the coils are soft man..this truck is soft. but its a perfect daily for me and the 02 2500 4x4 cummins flatbed will pick up the real work

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
The coils are soft, but from my experience it is most likely the tire/wheel combo - probably getting a bit of squirm in the sidewalls.

Putting a hellwig rear sway bar might help a good bit.

·
Registered
381 Posts
With hill assist on you get a situation that has always plagued pickups. The axle moves back just a slight bit and the spline that inserts into the transfer case at the end of the tranny is pulled out just a bit. The hill assist keeps torsional tension which keeps it in this position. When you begin to drive the axle moves slightly forward and you hear it. It is a completely benign thing. It will be worse when you brake with a firm "end" to forward movement. All trucks used to have this. You can use the recommended grease on the shaft without pulling it out and it will solve this for a long time. Most new Rams don't have this problem as much as other makes because of the fact you don't get rear end rise with hard braking. It sounds you are satisfied with disengaging the hill assist. The situation can still happen with or without hill assist, but is a little less likely.

Have you noticed that when you smash the pedal to the floor to pass another stock truck of any make, it shifts so fast that no one can get on it to keep you from passing? One beautiful reason to keep such a wonderful truck. Perfect engine and transmission combo for a stock truck. Bow to the mighty Ram.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Have you noticed that when you smash the pedal to the floor to pass another stock truck of any make, it shifts so fast that no one can get on it to keep you from passing? One beautiful reason to keep such a wonderful truck. Perfect engine and transmission combo for a stock truck. Bow to the mighty Ram.
When I pass people I isually force downshift with ERS to get my RPMs up, then punch the gas when the time is right

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With hill assist on you get a situation that has always plagued pickups. The axle moves back just a slight bit and the spline that inserts into the transfer case at the end of the tranny is pulled out just a bit. The hill assist keeps torsional tension which keeps it in this position. When you begin to drive the axle moves slightly forward and you hear it. It is a completely benign thing. It will be worse when you brake with a firm "end" to forward movement. All trucks used to have this. You can use the recommended grease on the shaft without pulling it out and it will solve this for a long time. Most new Rams don't have this problem as much as other makes because of the fact you don't get rear end rise with hard braking. It sounds you are satisfied with disengaging the hill assist. The situation can still happen with or without hill assist, but is a little less likely.

not sure who this is for..im talking about mashing it to the floor to pass and when you pull out to go around the trck feels squirmy and loose in the rear..not loss of traction but possibly sidewall squirm but seems to be more than that.........anyone that really needs hill assist shouldn't be driving....what few hill we have here arentmuch..but boat ramp can be very steep here...still don't use it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts