DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I just purchased a 2018 Bighorn 1500. I'm wanting to add some mud flaps to the truck and I really like the molded Mopar units. I have read several comments about these mud flaps rubbing off the paint and just trapping debris in general. My truck does not have the factory fender flares.

I'd like to have some feedback from real users though. I like the look of these units but I don't want to ruin the paint while trying to protect it.

Thanks
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
You can use 3m paint protection film under the area where the mud flap covers the paint and it will prevent this problem. Or at least delay it significantly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
hi bob, Im considering these flaps as well.

Did you decide to go through with it?

Its a good idea about the paint protection film, too

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
YES, they will scrape the paint around the edges of the mud flaps for the molded ones. I've been going through Ram customer care for about a month now trying to get it fixed. The first regional manager said it's "normal" and all the trucks with the flaps do it. I argued that just because something is poorly engineered and ruins the paint on a $48,000 truck, which it is SUPPOSED TO PROTECT, does not make it acceptable.
I'm waiting on a reply farther up the chain.
I also told them if it's normal, then there will be no issues with excess wear when I turn the lease in ;)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Had them on my 2014 and they caught a lot of dirt and crap behind them. Also had a bolt come out on one and gouged the paint pretty good in the arch. Caused some light surface rust under it, so I used a fiberglass pen and touch up paint to somewhat fix it. Ended up pulling them off and going back to the little ones that come on from the factory.

Won't be putting any on my 2018.

The 3M idea sounds decent though

·
Happy Ram - No more GM
2017 Silverado 1500 QC 4x4.
996 Posts
I have the Mopar Rubber flaps - identical to the big heavy rubber flaps that are on heavy trucks.

No crap gets caught between them, no worries on rusting either.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the mopar molded mudflaps on my 17 Laramie. I haven't noticed anything. Some mud gets in behind them, but we had out fine in the rain or at the wash.

I liked them because of the embossed "RAM" on them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There was a guy in the exterior mods section who suggested using silicone to seal the paint and keep water and crap out. seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
612 Posts
There was a guy in the exterior mods section who suggested using silicone to seal the paint and keep water and crap out. seems like a good idea.

Except then you have silocone stuck to your paint. I mean, it won't rust. But it looks like crap when you remove the flaps. And good luck getting that stuff off without damaging the paint. My advice is to stick with the 3M film. A much better solution, and you can easily remove it later if you decide to for any reason.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
After a weekend, I learned about the issue, ran otu and sure enough, my clear cut had rub marks.

Use 3m tape on inner fender lip and side fender, then, even if it catches stuff, it will not be next to yoru paint. may want to spray undercoating on backside of fender well too.

bottom line, not worht all the hassle.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
For a dealer added option, I shouldn't have to add anything to not destroy the paint. If that or 3M is required, the dealer should be taking care of whatever prep is needed to not ruin the paint.

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,450 Posts
I have the Mopar Rubber flaps - identical to the big heavy rubber flaps that are on heavy trucks.

No crap gets caught between them, no worries on rusting either.
I have the same flaps. My RAM has the fender flares so these are the only option if I want oem. Mine are great and no damage to the paint.

·
Registered
67 Posts
They are a nice product but that does happen. I had them on my 2014 and they rubbed the paint off. I bought them again for my 2017 and I used that 3M paint protection film that spartandon suggested and so far it’s working. It’s pretty cheap and easily ordered from amazon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts