DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone use one? Do they eliminate the need to scrub your vehicle? Just rinse away the foam?

Also is it just as good to lube your Clay bar area with detailer instead of buying expensive ClayLube? What is the most economical, yet safest method of lubing for claying? Something that won't remove sealant or wax... thx

·
Banned
1,446 Posts
Some people use regular water with a good quality soap. I still use the regular lube but I switched to a Nano towel. I think they do just as good a job and they are easier to use and last longer. Have not tried a detailer as a lube.
Jay

·
Registered
989 Posts
I've used detail spray as a clay lube- seemed to work perfectly. I think the act of clay baring your paint will in fact remove all wax and sealants- Isn't that the point? To get your paint ready for polish, sealant, wax etc?? I could be wrong.

I've used a foam gun and foam cannon-Sure fun to play with but save your money if you are hoping it will eliminate the need to scrub.
After a good cannon blast with quality soap and a good soak on a not too dirty truck you'll rinse it all down and think you just got a "touchless wash"- Nope- all your drying towels will be covered in grime.
To get it clean- you gotta use a quality mitt and make actual contact with your truck.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've used detail spray as a clay lube- seemed to work perfectly. I think the act of clay baring your paint will in fact remove all wax and sealants- Isn't that the point? To get your paint ready for polish, sealant, wax etc?? I could be wrong.

I've used a foam gun and foam cannon-Sure fun to play with but save your money if you are hoping it will eliminate the need to scrub.
After a good cannon blast with quality soap and a good soak on a not too dirty truck you'll rinse it all down and think you just got a "touchless wash"- Nope- all your drying towels will be covered in grime.
To get it clean- you gotta use a quality mitt and make actual contact with your truck.
lol That was my understanding as well Spoiler, but I have seen several adds for several products all stating the clay bar/lube won't remove sealant or wax...HUH? Then again I though using a clay bar to remove bug guts or bird crap seemed a little over kill yet I have seen several videos of people doing just that.

Thanks for the tip on the foam gun, going to pass on that

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use a foam gun attachment on my pressure washer with a high sud soap and it makes nice foam but I just use it to remove heavy dirt or mud. Then I scrub, rinse and rewash with another soap.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Greetings,
Silly question, by I can't reach much of my truck body by hand and arthritis doesn't help. Can anyone recommend some king of telescoping brush? I don't want anything that connects to a hose.
Thanks.

·
Registered
998 Posts
A genuine boars hair wash brush should help and limit wash-induced marring. AutoGeek, Amazon, etc have them along with telescoping poles.

Warning: the price is not for the faint of heart! $80-$120.

·
Registered
57 Posts
to remove the wax/sealer, use a soap like dishwashing soap. Car soaps typically won't remove wax. The clay bar is to remove deposits on the paint (tar, bugs, oxidation etc) and will make your paint smooth. If you're gonna wash your truck and don't plan on waxing/claying, then use car soap followed by detail spray.

·
Premium Member
32,560 Posts
I am now 74 years old ....

About 3 or more times a month, i take my truck to a coin car wash that has Pre Soak Foam
By the time that i have sprayed it completely, i use the regular car soap & water all over & then the Rinse water & a quicky spray wax

At least once a month i take the truck to a regular Car Wash that does detailing
Once every 3 months, i try to get to a body shop to get a complete wax job done with buffers & pads

My customers expect my vehicle to be clean when i show up & believe me when i say that if your vehicle is not clean, word will spread & you will have less companies calling you.
They tend to judge performance first on looks & then on your ability to do the actual job.

I just would like to find a car wash that has the under body wash, the place that had it, still washes cars but stopped using the under carriage wash :(

·
Super Moderator
34,218 Posts
I know the touchless washes use a foam, but they sort of leave a "film" that is noticeable if you rub your finger on the vehicle. Do foam guns leave this also?

I will never go to a brush wash, which is why my vehicles do not have paint swirls.

Car soap usually contains wax to protect your clear coat. I usually clay my vehicles every year or two, apply sealant, and then wax twice. Protecting the clear coat is what will make your paint last, so you need to keep it waxed. Detail spray won't protect as well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I use a Gilmour Foamaster II. I bought this foam sprayer based on a friend's recommendation that works at a big warehouse in the butcher shop. They use this sprayer for specialized foam in cleaning down machines used for raw beef, chicken, pork, and the like.

I am more than impressed. I bought some good quality chemical guys soap, fill the sprayer half-way with soap and fired her up! I use the "D" setting and get huge amount of foam all over the truck...top...bottom...and wheels. Then I scrub-a-dub-dub with a 10" quad brush.

The bottle unhooks from the sprayer with no effort. Then we rinse. BAM! We're done and enjoying an adult beverage.

Big truck done in an hour. Used to take me 2+ hours with buckets.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I, too, use the Gilmour Foammaster. They have a few different versions of it, I think...I got the one that has 4 or 5 different foam levels. You probably cant go wrong with any of the models.

The process I use for all of my vehicles is to hit them with an electric pressure washer and the most gentle nozzle available (aside from the soaping nozzle).

My pressure washer also has a soap dispenser built in...I fill it with some cheap wash soap (currently have some cheap Megs Gold Class) then hit the vehicle with the soap nozzle. This gets some foam onto the dirt to loosen it.

Next step is to ready the hose-end foam gun, where Ill use Chem Guys Honeydew Snow Foam as the wash.

Then I will "prime" my microfiber wash mitt with some foam and go panel to panel, spraying the panel down with foam then I keep spraying foam between the mitt and the panel as best I can. Seems like a lot of foam to use, and it is, but with a black vehicle in my arsenal, Id rather err on the side of too much lubrication than too little.

After each panel (or half panel, depending on how dirty the vehicle is) I will "scrape off" my mitt onto a grit guard in my rinse water bucket. The rinse water bucket will be emptied and refilled during the wash process depending on how dirty the vehicle is. I will also flip to another side of the wash mitt after a section, or change the wash mitt altogether depending on how dirty the vehicle is.

Once Ive done all panels on a side (or hood/bumper, or trunk/tailgate/bumper) I will rinse that section off. All of my vehicles are OptiCoat-ed so water slides off pretty easily. I could almost get to a point of not needing to dry at all if I pull off the hose end sprayer and set the hose to a trickle.....the water essentially "pulls itself off" the panel, leaving little to no droplets behind.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Does anyone use one? Do they eliminate the need to scrub your vehicle? Just rinse away the foam?

Also is it just as good to lube your Clay bar area with detailer instead of buying expensive ClayLube? What is the most economical, yet safest method of lubing for claying? Something that won't remove sealant or wax... thx
Foam guns/cannons are generally used when the vehicle is pretty dirty, to loosen up and have as much dirt roll off the vehicle as possible, before doing the regular wash. Does it work? Not sure. I have one that I use anytime we have a week's worth of rain and muck and the car/truck gets very dirty. Otherwise, I do a reg 2-bucket wash.

Does it replace the need to scrub your vehicle. Nope. You still have to do this.

Regarding clay. You should only do this if needed, as the clay is still an abrasive and you should only use IF you will follow up with paint correction (polish).

If your paint feels rough when you are washing the vehicle, it may have some sap or rail dust (if the vehicle is new). I had to do this on my almost two week old RAM. Noticed the hood being very rough when drying after washing, so I clayed it.

Before claying I would wipe with 50/50 water / isopropyl alcohol, to remove wax and have a clean surface for the claying. You can seal and/or wax after you're done. Def worth the extra steps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
Neurobit
DODGE RAM FORUM
We’re the ultimate Dodge RAM forum to talk about the RAM 1500, 2500 and 3500 including the Cummins powered models.
Full Forum Listing