DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All

i am about to pull the trigger on a 2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab(True Blue...thx to the fourms help in picking the color)

My Question what's is the normal fee in canada for something like this as they are about to hit me for a 600$ Documentation fee....this seems to be a little high but i havent bought a new vehicle in 6 years so maybe i am out of the loop on what they charge now a days but i feel i might be getting punched in the head with extra fees so the dealer can make some extra profit. :box:

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
^what he said. When I bought my truck there was about $1,000 in "misc fess" (even a delivery fee....the truck was used and already on the lot lol). I had to walk out the door before the grabbed me and said they'd split it, then I kept walking and as I was opening my car door they ran and said "ok ok ok....".

Most times you have to get home then they call you on the phone and have you come back down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Documentation fee

Thx guys for your help.....i will give it a shot and let you know how i make out as i like the Truck but i am sure i can find others if they dont move on the fees.(those darn extra fees are little crazy):LOL:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
There are certain fees that are fair to charge you, like switching over your registration and plates. They try to slip in the documents fees, and I have paid them if I feel like I'm getting a good deal otherwise, but its never been very much, like $100 or less.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You really have to pay attention to what fees the dealers try to charge. When I was about to take deliver of my Ram, there was something like a $395 fee on the invoice sheet. When I inquired they tried to dismiss it like it's routine.

I said...no explain me what this fee was for because above is my document fee which like what Dodge Man post is a typical dealer fee to pay some employee to run to the DMV, swap plates...etc. Sometimes these fees are DMV fees that you can't do anything about.

Turns out when I pressed the subject it was a maintenance fee. I said...what is that? She says to me " it provides x- amount of oil changes, tire rotations...etc. I politely told her to remove it, re-total the balance or I walk....especially since it's an 1.5 hour drive to this dealership. Even if I lived in town, that came out to something like 79 dollars an oil change or something ridiculous.

When I did a walk around the vehicle, the person who prepped the vehicle installed cheesy plastic mud flaps. Not all around, but just the back two because it had the dealer's name on them. I said....take them off. The guy was like..."they're free mudflaps." I said...I don't care if they are free....unless your dealership would like to pay advertising fees on MY TRUCK, get them off my truck. The guy's chin dropped....in which I politely said....Thank you. ;)

Never let the dealer think you MUST have this truck....everything is negotiable.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I don't know how it works at the Canadian Border, but i was stopped at the Peace Bridge with more cigarettes then they allow without paying Fees, i had something like 10 cartons in my Ram.
I won't begin to think about the fees for a Brand New vehicle crossing on a train or semi truck

Try using another Dodge dealership to bid for your business, use the prices against each other

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hi All

i am about to pull the trigger on a 2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab(True Blue...thx to the fourms help in picking the color)

My Question what's is the normal fee in canada for something like this as they are about to hit me for a 600$ Documentation fee....this seems to be a little high but i havent bought a new vehicle in 6 years so maybe i am out of the loop on what they charge now a days but i feel i might be getting punched in the head with extra fees so the dealer can make some extra profit. :box:
The fees became wide spread a couple of decades ago and were introduced as simply a way to make more money and had nothing to do with anything. I know this because I was selling cars at the time and did not like it myself. The best thing to do is write out a detailed offer on a piece of paper and include any rebates, the wholesale amount of your trade, the cash equivalent discount, delivery fees and all taxes including such things as tire and AC taxes etc.. (If you think you can avoid taxes forget it - taxes must be collected.) Negotiate on those figures if needed and when an amount is reached you've silently made it clear to them on paper no other items are included. Having that piece of paper with the figures on it makes it very clear to everyone what you are going to pay and keeps you in control.

An 'admin' fee will likely be already included (printed) on the sales contract so you'll have to tell them no other fees were included on that paper you just spelled out to them. They may baulk but stick to your guns. The fee will remain on the contract but they will adjust the selling price of the vehicle to make the bottom line what you agreed upon. You just have to make it clear that they accepted the offer and you are not going to pay any additional fees. A deal is a deal. I have yet to hear of any deal falling through because the buyer refused to pay for the admin fee. If it happens it's because you've been a jerk and they don't want your business. I works both ways. I have never had to pay for such fees yet.

·
Registered
417 Posts
When I go vehicle shopping now I tell them I will only work with walking out the door prices. That way they can't add something after, I don't care what they write on the invoice as long as I am paying the exact price I agreed too during the negotiation. They really don't like to do that I was tired of all the hidden fees. I bought three vehicles last year from the same salesman so by the end he was more co-operative to my style of negotiation. Also as some of the others have said be prepared to walk away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Deal done

i didn't get all the fees off but i feel i got the better deal.

Got it down to 399 and they throw in a tonneau cover,bed liner, running boards & Ball and bar for the hitch.

Not Bad ....at least i felt i walked out with the better side but i am sure they got these items at cost.

but thanks to you guys i got the balls to give them the feeling i was going to walk which made them jump a little high when i put the gloves on.:box2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts