DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to do some minor service work on a volkswagen routan (I think that's how it was spelled) anyways the radio and key fob were exactly the same as my ram. I was just wondering if chrysler sold out or did we get them from vw?

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
If i am not mistaken,
the 430 RBZ radio is made by Mitsubishi Electronics of America & could be in almost any vehicle

I am waiting for the day that our Rams start getting what we call Uconnect now, will be changed over to the Parrot communications type, that is used in VW, BMW, & several other brand vehicles

·
Registered
801 Posts
It doesn't matter what company builds the Uconnect system. All suppliers build to Spec. Which means that even if you are a supplier with better ideas, you still build to what the customer says. In this case the customer to the supplier is CHRYSLER. The customer that drives the vehicle is the "end user". You would be surprised at what Chrysler has said "No" to even if the idea and concept could be Proved better. Take a for instance the microphone for the Uconnect system. How many other Automotive manufacturers have gone away from the mirror and changed the location for their HF system mics to be in the headliner area? (HINT, - most of them). Chrysler has only 1 vehicle with the mic in the headliner area and it's actually on the drivers side "A" pillar trim next to the visor. This vehicle had tons of complaints about sound quality for years and the complaints have come to a minimum. This vehicle has considerably more road noise than the rest of the line. What vehicle is it? The Wrangler.
There are 3 suppliers for the Uconnect system and this does make it a bit rough because the systems aren't designed by the same Engineers. The Supplier that builds for the Mitsubishi radios is a rather large company and they build mics for several of the other Auto makers. Why? Because they are good at what they do. They are working with several companies on many new projects.
Parrot may be a good company, but realize that even if they are a great aftermarket name, that they also can be held back, if the Customer says "build to this spec and this is all".

If i am not mistaken,
the 430 RBZ radio is made by Mitsubishi Electronics of America & could be in almost any vehicle

I am waiting for the day that our Rams start getting what we call Uconnect now, will be changed over to the Parrot communications type, that is used in VW, BMW, & several other brand vehicles

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you compare the looks of your routon, you can see the how similar they look. supprized you didn't notice.
Ahh, not many people drive chrysler and dodge around here so I haven't really payed any attention to it lately! They do look exactly the same though!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I work at the chrysler minivan plant in Windsor Ontario. Here we build the V.W. Routan, Chrysler Town and Country, and the Dodge Caravan. The Routan actually uses most of the same mechanical parts as the Chrysler minivans, the only real differences are the interior trim and the body panels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.