DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife calls (1:39pm) while I am at work telling me about a tire which is very low on her 2017 Dodge Durango. She explains she tried airing it up but the air is coming out almost too fast. I tell her to stay put (17psi) and contact Roadside Assistance.

At 1:51pm she sends me a text saying they are sending someone to change to the spare.

At 2:18pm no word from anyway. She calls them back.

At 2:21pm she texts me it will be a 75 MINUTE ETA as they are sending a company from 50 miles away!

I call the local dealership (5 min timeframe) and ask them if they have received a request and they say no but she needs to contact Dodge and request that they be the ones to do the work.

She calls Dodge and they explain they have no control over who gets called but they are sending someone else. (It is now around 3pm.)

At 3:26pm I get a very upset and crying wife calling me and telling me she still hadn't received a text notification or call for the new company supposedly coming out.

This is unacceptable. We are now out $35 for assistance + time lost from work for her. I am livid. This experience was anything but caring or assistance. I have owned a 2011 Ram (bought new), 2014 Ram (bought new), 2014 Durango (bought new), and now own a 2015 Ram (bought used) and am leasing this 2017 Durango.

No more. I've spent way too much money for the kind of service I've received. Some may not feel that way and that's fine. I expected different.

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
I have roadside assistance in my insurance, but I am sure if I needed it the company would just contact a local company, and since I am in a rural area that could be some time

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
I am getting to old for many things ...

I have both FCA Assistance & AAA
I prefer to use AAA & i have the premium plan, i can have them come out for either my Ram or my Harley & i can have them tow or haul me for 200 miles
I believe it is the best $75 that i have ever spent

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have roadside assistance in my insurance, but I am sure if I needed it the company would just contact a local company, and since I am in a rural area that could be some time

We are in a town of 12k but do have a local dealership as well as two different towing companies. Dodge apparently decided to contact (claimed the only company that called them back) a company over 50 miles away.

I am getting to old for many things ...

I have both FCA Assistance & AAA
I prefer to use AAA & i have the premium plan, i can have them come out for either my Ram or my Harley & i can have them tow or haul me for 200 miles
I believe it is the best $75 that i have ever spent
My parents use AAA as well. I just figured we have the lease and also the roadside assistance. It figures the 1st time I've had to use it and they can't handle it any better than they did.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I always get a kick out of these stories. My late mother, who started driving when she was 12 years old, told me the first thing my grandpa did when teaching her to drive, was to make her change the tire. He was a truck driver and when he would come home, he hated to drive, so my mom would have to chauffeur him around. Now this was the late 1940's and it was Joplin, Missouri, so I guess it seemed normal back then for a 12 year old kid to drive around town. Even now at 61 years old, I am amazed by people that can't or won't change their own flat tire. Have we become that helpless or just more lazy?

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I had to use AAA a couple of days ago, for a jump start, and they did almost the same thing. First time it was to my house and they sent a guy that was about 20 miles away. OK I live in a rural area and maybe there was not anybody closer (except maybe this towing guy that is about 4 miles away, but don't know if he is AAA qualified). Second time I was in a larger city with 2 car dealerships and a couple of tow companies, and they sent the same guy that is now about 25 miles away.

·
Registered
213 Posts
This type of 'service' seems to be par for the course, as roadside assistance is simply outsourced to third parties who may or may not give a flip.
I had only one time I had to use such a thing, which was 5 years ago or so. My motorcycle's electronic ignition module died 80 miles from home along a 2-lane highway on a Saturday evening. After 10 minutes of fiddling with it (thought it was a loose wire) I made it into the next town 5 miles farther. Then it just would not restart. Battery was getting low, too.
I had to use the road side assistance from Progressive; they would pay for 50 miles. First they tried to find someone around the area I was in. About 30 minutes later they ended up sending someone from my home town. I had to wait almost 2 hours for them to come. Luckily weather was nice and no wild animals around. I did see the buzzards circling, though...
In the end they paid the whole thing due to the wait. The truck driver and his son (helper) were very cool and careful with my bike. I tipped them well for just that.
Crap happens and we just have to see it through. That module was pretty easy to change at least.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Agreed. It is not the club,group or company that you contract through, it is the provider the use, at your location. Most of them get the job because the submitted the lowest bid. The b outfits do not mess with AA or such things unless it is slow.

Bottom line, do not count on fast, efficient, courteous service from Tow truck drivers. No intention to malign the good ones but, as with most vocations, the good one know the are the Minority.

Just look at where you work, how many truly outstanding employees are there versus those who just show up and put in their time.

Goes back to o2bnkc post about changing a tire. That is not the only skill set lost as each generation comes along. Of course, this is the same gripe I hard form my Parents as I grew up too.....

·
Registered
526 Posts
I always get a kick out of these stories. My late mother, who started driving when she was 12 years old, told me the first thing my grandpa did when teaching her to drive, was to make her change the tire. He was a truck driver and when he would come home, he hated to drive, so my mom would have to chauffeur him around. Now this was the late 1940's and it was Joplin, Missouri, so I guess it seemed normal back then for a 12 year old kid to drive around town. Even now at 61 years old, I am amazed by people that can't or won't change their own flat tire. Have we become that helpless or just more lazy?
They quit teaching auto shop in schools. Back in High School they even had a basic auto maintenance class that had lots of girls as well as boys in it. Nowadays I think there's a serious lack of willingness, or it's looked down upon to get ones hands dirty.
A couple of months ago we had a rain/wind storm at night that blew palm fronds on the roads. Those sharp points will pop tires. While driving around our neighborhood to see if there was any damage my son and I ran across this older teen guy with a flat. He had no clue what to do and was busy trying to get ahold of someone on his cell to come help with no success.

We stood in the rain, in the dark and taught him how to change his tire by flashlight. I'll bet he'll remember how to do it from now on...

·
Registered
686 Posts
You might keep a couple cans of "Slime" in your vehicles. It's not a great solution, but a can or 2 can usually get you to a garage if you get a nail or small leak. I know the tire service guys hate it, but for your wife...

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
Spare tires are kind of going by the wayside in favor of patch kits for cost and weight savings, but changing or repairing a tire should be part of the test to get your license

·
Registered
526 Posts
What I saw the other day that was interesting was a AAA road service motorcycle of all things. Saddle bags probably filled with tools and a jump battery...

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
In Southern California & maybe the whole State, AAA has roving pick up trucks on remote highways

Around San Diego, California has some kind of deal with Larger Tow outfits
It is paid with Highway taxes, not by individuals. They will only get you off of the highway & to the nearest service station

The Freeway Service Patrol (FSP)
is a joint program provided by the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans), the California Highway Patrol (CHP) and the local transportation agency. The FSP program is a free service of privately owned tow trucks that patrol designated routes on congested urban California freeways. Typically, FSP operates Monday through Friday during peak commute hours, and all day in pre-designated freeway construction zones. In heavily congested freeway corridors it is becoming more commonplace for FSP to operate during the midday and on weekends/holidays in addition to the weekday peak period service.

·
Registered
526 Posts
In Southern California & maybe the whole State, AAA has roving pick up trucks on remote highways

Around San Diego, California has some kind of deal with Larger Tow outfits
It is paid with Highway taxes, not by individuals. They will only get you off of the highway & to the nearest service station

The Freeway Service Patrol (FSP)
is a joint program provided by the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans), the California Highway Patrol (CHP) and the local transportation agency. The FSP program is a free service of privately owned tow trucks that patrol designated routes on congested urban California freeways. Typically, FSP operates Monday through Friday during peak commute hours, and all day in pre-designated freeway construction zones. In heavily congested freeway corridors it is becoming more commonplace for FSP to operate during the midday and on weekends/holidays in addition to the weekday peak period service.

ADOT has FSP service trucks patrolling most of the major highways in AZ.
http://www.azmag.gov/Programs/Transportation/Safety-and-TSM-O-Programs/Freeway-Service-Patrol

·
Registered
43 Posts
They quit teaching auto shop in schools. Back in High School they even had a basic auto maintenance class that had lots of girls as well as boys in it. Nowadays I think there's a serious lack of willingness, or it's looked down upon to get ones hands dirty.
A couple of months ago we had a rain/wind storm at night that blew palm fronds on the roads. Those sharp points will pop tires. While driving around our neighborhood to see if there was any damage my son and I ran across this older teen guy with a flat. He had no clue what to do and was busy trying to get ahold of someone on his cell to come help with no success.

We stood in the rain, in the dark and taught him how to change his tire by flashlight. I'll bet he'll remember how to do it from now on...
I like hearing stories like this. Maybe there is hope. LOL!:smileup:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mean temperature for Wednesday was 4*F.

We have a new vehicle with Roadside Assistance.

My wife did start to remove things to change the tire but I instructed her to stop and use RA. The jacks and setups these new vehicles use are becoming less and less helpful and easy to use than in the past.

Go ahead and assume what you will about us or my wife. Maybe if it had been above freezing, she wasn't dressed for work, or I would've been available things might have went differently. Excuse us for trying to make use of something we paid for.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Mean temperature for Wednesday was 4*F.

We have a new vehicle with Roadside Assistance.

My wife did start to remove things to change the tire but I instructed her to stop and use RA. The jacks and setups these new vehicles use are becoming less and less helpful and easy to use than in the past.

Go ahead and assume what you will about us or my wife. Maybe if it had been above freezing, she wasn't dressed for work, or I would've been available things might have went differently. Excuse us for trying to make use of something we paid for.
We have had AAA for years and I think we've used 'em once and it did take FOREVER. We've had various roadside coverage from vehicles we've owned as well. I'm of the opinion that I'll take care of anything, jumps,flats,lockouts if possible precisely because you'll grow old and gray waiting for said "service" to show up.

We do depend on it when out of town or away from our local area because we don't carry full tool boxes around with us or, if I'm not available for one reason or another.
One thing I can say as a former AAA tow truck driver as well as the occasional "Adam" unit driver (service van) that AAA calls are not all we did and, the AAA calls frequently were stacked up in a long line. Many times the car owner either outright lies or doesn't know anything about what's really going on.

Example: We get a T-1 call (flat tire) and are told they have a spare. Low and behold there is no spare or, most likely it's flat as a pancake, or, they don't have the wheel lock key. We won't even talk about that $^#% canned tire fix cheap manufactures put in the trunk instead of spare tires.:mad: So that T-1 that was supposed to take 10 minutes turns into a tow that takes an hour.

Now I've got even more backed up calls. So I get both sides of the deal and that's why I rarely use 'em for anything but last resort insurance.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Flat Tires Suck. Everyone, who has ever experienced a flat tire, has two options:
Fix it or wait for someone else to fix it.

Complaining about the wait is inane and supercilious.

Deal with it and move on.

I hope this is the worst thing that every happens in Your Life.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Flat Tires Suck. Everyone, who has ever experienced a flat tire, has two options:
Fix it or wait for someone else to fix it.

Complaining about the wait is inane and supercilious.

Deal with it and move on.

I hope this is the worst thing that every happens in Your Life.
I wasn't complaining about the wait. If you think I was complaining about wait times than you need to re-read what was written.

Surprising really how you couldn't get I was complaining about their handling of the situation but can use words such as inane and supercilious. Which, in hindsight is how you sound.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts