DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got and love my new 2012 Dodge RAM. LOVE it. Love the Uconnect system. I just had a Pioneer AVIC, and although I miss being able to stream You Tube and Netflix through the dashboard screen, the interface of the Uconnect system and the phone work so much better.
With all of that said--- Where were the sound guys when they built this thing? How difficult would it have been to put a 7 band equalizer in this thing? Even a 5? I had the upgrade done with the Kicker system and 10" sub, but it's pointless if I can't get the bass adjusted. I mean seriously---What a horrible disappointment in what could have been something good. Three bands? Is this 1978? END RANT

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Makes the Kraco 10 band under dash equalizer from 1980 look like a genius!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I never understood that...awesome sounds system with no great way to adjust it. I would have expected at least a 5 band and maybe some preset sound sets. Just a lil more thought could have gone into this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Top of the line Alpine

I'am old, my frist Dodge didn't have a radio, even as a option. My Alpine in my truck is great, but I'am not into loud music so I keep it turned down low, so I can listen to the Hemi tooling along down the road. Was surprised to hear about the paper speakers, but I thought all speakers had paper im them. Damed, I'am behind times. What are 3,4, and 10 bands, never heard of that either. :git:

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
What are 3,4, and 10 bands, never heard of that either. :git:
They're just different frequencies that can be adjusted, allowing for a more personalized ability to tweak the sound.

I've been happy with my Alpine system as well. The sub doesn't hit quite as hard as I'd like, but I figure there must be trade offs somewhere. I will eventually replace the door speakers and the sub, not sure if I'll even bother with the 2 in overhead or the ones in the dash.... (seems to be too much like work for a small return)

Exco

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
They're just different frequencies that can be adjusted, allowing for a more personalized ability to tweak the sound.

I've been happy with my Alpine system as well. The sub doesn't hit quite as hard as I'd like, but I figure there must be trade offs somewhere. I will eventually replace the door speakers and the sub, not sure if I'll even bother with the 2 in overhead or the ones in the dash.... (seems to be too much like work for a small return)

Exco
Actually the ones in the cash make a huge difference i was skeptical myself but then put in kickers and was very surprised

·
Registered
754 Posts
While I must admit the Boston Accustics system in my wife's charger sounds better, mine Alpine sounds better then the top of the line in my brothers Titan. I have the 9 speaker system so don't know if it is any better then the 7 pc system. I just know at my sound level 80's on 8, 25, 90 nascar, the loft, all sound fine.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
If I had my choice I'd go with the Harmon Kardon set-up in the newer Cadillac's/Buick's. While I definitely appreciate the Alpine system's Sound Stage I would like it if the Bass hit a little harder and there was a 5-7 Band option instead of 3. While this system is definitely a cut above my 3rd Gen as far as sound quality goes, when you compare it to other vehicles in it's price range on the market (not just trucks) it has room for improvement. Can't say Dodge or RAM Truck should be ashamed (seems a bit harsh to me) but they could have taken an extra step or 2 for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got my Ram and I must say the Alpine sounds much better than I expected. The Kicker system in my Challenger was disappointing to say the least, but I have replace all the drivers with JL and I am confident it'll be great if we ever get the cleansweep set up right. I always thought the Rockford Fosgate in my 08 Titan was the best sounding OEM I ever had, but the Ram is close. Different, but good. The RF in the Titan had a great kick to it with the subs under the seat. The Alpine is much more refined I think because the truck is sooooo much quieter. The 430N is so much more advanced than the one in the 09 Challenger. Hard to believer they are similar. I will have to check for an update to the 09 as that unit is all software based.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Boy if you think back to the 80s and 90s, I would have never dreamed a factory stereo could sound this good. I used to pull out the stock everything and spend too much money putting in new stuff -sometime by Alpine even!

The 9 speaker system in my truck fulfills me well enough not to want to change anything :)
..... ya, sure they could have added more adjustments ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
A well balance audio system will not need any type of EQ adjustment in all honesty. In my humble opinion, an EQ is simply compensating for an inaccurate speaker. That being said, I still might have to agree with the lack of EQ adjustment to correct the lack luster factory speaker.

I'm also surprised to hear that even the Alpine speakers offered are paper drivers. They may be made by Alpine, but they are clearly low end if that's the case. An audio system is only as good as the speakers, amplifier, and quality of speaker cables driving the sound.

At some point I'll probably swap out my speakers for a higher quality driver, but for now they are decent. You think these are bad, you should see what GM pawns off for a high end Bose system in the Corvette...total joke for a 60k sports car. :doh:

Factory radios are getting better, but don't kid yourself....your still paying for it.:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
A well balance audio system will not need any type of EQ adjustment in all honesty. In my humble opinion, an EQ is simply compensating for an inaccurate speaker. That being said, I still might have to agree with the lack of EQ adjustment to correct the lack luster factory speaker.

I'm also surprised to hear that even the Alpine speakers offered are paper drivers. They may be made by Alpine, but they are clearly low end if that's the case. An audio system is only as good as the speakers, amplifier, and quality of speaker cables driving the sound.

At some point I'll probably swap out my speakers for a higher quality driver, but for now they are decent. You think these are bad, you should see what GM pawns off for a high end Bose system in the Corvette...total joke for a 60k sports car. :doh:

Factory radios are getting better, but don't kid yourself....your still paying for it.:4-dontknow:
I agree i too have seen those so called high grade bose speakers in gm LOL but ya i spent 220 on all 7 speakers its b/s you have to buy 4 dash speakers and only use 3 but what total difference bass hits harder and high and mids are crisp it actually sounds like i added an amp.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Like others said, these systems sound pretty darn good for factory. I understand you want more but I just have the base stereo system in my SLT, it has 2 dash speakers and a speaker in all 4 doors and I gotta say it sounds very good. I've had aftermarket setups in my old ford and my old s10 (inexpensive, but still decent) and this sounds about as good, if not as good. I remember my ford had an am radio (upgraded option), had no presets or band adjustments, just a volume dial and a station dial, and had one flat paper speaker that only shot out treble sort of like the mini speaker that makes strange noises inside the desktop computer. LOL

·
Registered
210 Posts
I agree i too have seen those so called high grade bose speakers in gm LOL but ya i spent 220 on all 7 speakers its b/s you have to buy 4 dash speakers and only use 3 but what total difference bass hits harder and high and mids are crisp it actually sounds like i added an amp.
For $220, I'll drink that Kool-Aid.:LOL:

What kinda aftermarket speakers did you install? Do you have the brand and model numbers? I don't have the Alpine upgrade on my Sport, but anything has to be an improvement over these speakers. I'd love to get a nice silk dome tweeter on the dash, and some more accurate speakers in the doors. For $220, I'd jump all over that.

I remember reading a while back someone swapped out the 4" in the dash and was raving about them. For some reason.... I wanna say Crutchfield was the vendor, and the driver was a JL audio speaker. There is also something funking about the impedance running from these factory units. Maybe 8 ohms instead of your typical 4 ohm ???

If you can remember what you installed....love to be point in that direction. :smileup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts