DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dodge ram 1500 has 16 inch wheels on it now. Can I put a 17 inch wheel on it? Its a 2 wheel drive? Not a tire guy any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Im not sure what that means or what the offset is.
🤦‍♀️
You have a 2nd generation Ram. This has the same bolt pattern as the later 3rd generation (02-08) and 4th generation (09-18) bolt patterns. Several people have put the 20x9 wheels from these trucks on to 2n generation Rams such as yours; ergo if a 20" wheel will fit on your truck, then yes any of the sizes you specifically asked about will fit, as they are all smaller than 20". With changing wheel sizes, you need to worry about the backspacing to ensure you do not interfere with body/frame/suspension components. Not an issue with factory wheels, but can be with aftermarket wheels. That work better for you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is a great video for 3 minutes of your time, should explain all you need. Most Ram 1500s that have 5 bolt spindles use the 5.5” bolt spacing, so you will see references to 5x5.5 (inches) or 5x139.7 (mm) a lot.

·
Registered
128 Posts
In the older trucks with a speedometer cable, when you put bigger tires on, you had to change the gear on the cable in the transmission. On the new trucks with all the electronics, how do you get your speedometer to offset for larger tires to read your correct speed? Just curious. Because on this form, I read where a lot of y'all have been installing larger tires. I am old and not tech savvy or familiar with acronyms! But I can tune-up older vehicles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In the older trucks with a speedometer cable, when you put bigger tires on, you had to change the gear on the cable in the transmission. On the new trucks with all the electronics, how do you get your speedometer to offset for larger tires to read your correct speed? Just curious. Because on this form, I read where a lot of y'all have been installing larger tires. I am old and not tech savvy or familiar with acronyms! But I can tune-up older vehicles.
A lot of the new ram's come with 20's, like mine did. It just has to be calibrated or recalibrated

·
Registered
461 Posts
Pinion factor has to be altered for tire height in the computer is all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don’t let anybody make it difficult for you. Yes, the backspacing (or offset, if that’s easier for you. They’re not the same thing, but they are related) is important. Any factory wheel will work from 1997 up until the current model. 2019 and 2020 non-classics are a different bolt pattern. Do factory or aftermarket. 16s may have some brake issues if you go aftermarket, but you can put 26” wheels on if you want to.

And you don’t have to recalibrate just for larger wheels. Only if you change overall tire size. If you have tires that are currently 32” tall and stick with that, even going to 20”, there’s no reason to recalibrate. Just be careful, the shorter tires may not have the same load carrying capacity. Have to look at what’s called the service description. It will have a number. Just stay at that or higher.

Feel free to reach out, I’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have about a new setup.

·
Registered
128 Posts
On my 2017 2500 limited, it came with LT285/60R20 tires. Since I like the rims, I just replaced them with the same size tires. I guess that I am just old fashion, because I just don't see the draw to install taller tires. But to each their own.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts