DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Ram 4.7 with 100k on it. I recently did a tune up and everything checked out fine. New plugs, air filter, compression checked out, etc. But recently I have started having performance issues, but the fuel mileage seems the same.

I'm trying to figure out if I have a vacuum leak first. I don't specifically hear a hiss from any particular point. Have any of you ever tried the soapy water method of finding leaks? (I don't have a smoke machine and prefer not to use combustibles).

But.. Are there codes for large and small leaks? I don't have a reader so I just rely on the check engine light and take it to my mechanic and he reads if for me. If I have a vacuum leak shouldn't my 'check engine' light be on? (It was on about a month ago but a new gas cap fixed this)

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Arch...I can tell you that on my 03 Ram 1500, the eng lite came on and the code said it was a "small" vacuum leak in the evac system, meaning it could be any of the hoses, the cannister or the gas cap....new cap didn't fix it...so I ignore it because it might take forever to find a leak in the not easily accessible hoses. I suppose that smoke test you mention could find it? Any way it is my belief you would get the eng lite on and a code for a vacuum leak...but your truck may be different.
Good luck///Willy

·
Banned
7,846 Posts
^^x3^^

If you didn't know...if you cycle your key 3 times quickly without starting the truck and end on the accessory position, your code(s) will display on your odometer.

It'll save you a trip to the mechanic next time to get the code. That way you're not taking a knife to a gun fight.

For the most part, but not all, a vacuum leak will mess with the idle and it'll run fine (relatively) above idle.

I use the soapy water quite often (not necessarily on my truck for all of 'em)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for the responses guys. And thanks for the note about getting the CEL code on the odomoter, Warlock. This is all very helpful. Thanks again!
Archaea

1 - 6 of 6 Posts