DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I dont buy the pre-cut kit, but I do by film in bulk and use it a lot. I buy from Xpel. It's great stuff

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
They have different grades of the bulk now. Maybe I'm cheap in thinking the stuff is pricey but I still think it's worth it :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
http://www.clearbra-kits.com/

3M Ventureshield

Installed it a few weeks ago on my 2011 Dodge Ram Sport - Ordered the rocker panel kit - Wish i would have installed it on day one when i bought the truck - Stuff is awesome , little tricky on the longer pieces , but fit was perfect and really looks nice/durable

·
Registered
53 Posts
Would this stuff help protect against rock chips on a painted front bumper at highway speeds? I have a 2012 Outdoorsman on order with mineral grey front bumper and it is a worry I have, as my old car is full of rock chips on the front bumper/hood area.

·
Banned
1,446 Posts
I've checked a couple of different products. They seem to be pretty much to same quality and the prices are pretty close and after talking to some other people about having the 3M clear installed most people seem to think that the real difference is in the skill of the person installing the product. I called the local high dollar car dealers(Jag, Lambo,etc etc) to see who they used in town and then went to the shop and watched them work on a Jag they had in the shop. If you do the front end and rockers, be prepared---it ain't cheap----but cheaper than a new paint job.
Jay

·
Registered
58 Posts
I considered it. I also looked at a spray-on clear bra that one of the local dealerships does. In the end, I just had my rockers rhino-lined. Cost about the same and I think it will hold up better in the long run.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
I tried to get the gf to wear a clear bra, but she refused for some reason...

oh, we're talking about the clear vinyl for a vehicle, right, silly me :LOL:

Yes, the vinyl overlay will reduce rock chips (to a certain degree) and you need to look at the thickness of the material that will be installed, the thicker the better, and if I remember correctly the 3M is the thickest out there. The installer is also a very important choice as any lifting of the edges becomes very noticable and will look like hell.

·
Banned
61 Posts
I had mine done by a very reputable place that does high end cars like Porsches and Ferraris, etc. It's 3M and covers the entire front (grill, bumper, lights), goes almost half way up the hood and covers the front of the fenders and mirrors. It was not cheap ($750) but it is doing what it's designed to do and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Im sure it depends on the quality of the film you choose but I had it on the headlights/fog light lenses of my 2004 for 7 years and it was still acceptable. It did not stay pristine, but thats what it was there for. when I peeled it off, the plastic lens looked like brand new. So I would say put it on for 5 years and if you need to replace it or just decided to remove it because you start noticing it becoming blemished, it's still well worth it

·
Registered
462 Posts
Honestly I would have to cover my whole truck. I drive mostly highway at 70-75 I have rock chips as far up as the windshield sprayers. I even got a dime size rock chip on my roof. Eventually you will get scratches and chips all over if you drive regularly.

I use the 3M to cover my rocker panels, so shoes don't scuff the paint off them. That area tends to see the most abuse.

·
Registered
55 Posts
How do you prep the car before application? Should is be clay barred or polished? Does anyone know of a reputable shop who does this in the D/FW area?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I just clay bar the area to remove anything from the surface then apply.

Depending on what you're doing, some places are simple while others are very difficult.

Actually, the stuff is pretty compliant and easy to install with a good solution mix, soft rubber squeegee and a hair dryer. My wife has a nice one but gets pissed when I use it :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Just got my 3M clear bra installed from a tinting shop. Cost me $240+tax for the hood and fenders here in Canada. It took them 30 mins. to install it but ask about an hour and a half. Have 5 years warranty from peeling, bubbles and yellowing. Hope it's worth the price.

please excuse the macroed dirt... LOL

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts