DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Crew Cab SLT 4x4 5.7 Hemi
646 Posts
Following… my folding BakFlip is beat to hail 😉 and 2 of the locking bars have fallen off. So I’m looking for options. And I might be old… 🙊😒🙊

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
What does age have to do with a tonneau cover? A lot of guys go with soft over a hard cover due to being 1/3-1/2 the cost. Nothing to do with age.

• Haha
Reactions: fireproof69

·
Registered
646 Posts
What does age have to do with a tonneau cover? A lot of guys go with soft over a hard cover due to being 1/3-1/2 the cost. Nothing to do with age.
Probably based on comments people make on here a lot to newbies pics “you need to get rid of those grandpa chrome nerf bars” 😂🙊😱

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve had both roll up and hard covers. Both have certain advantages depending on what you want to haul. The soft is more adaptable to oversized loads. The hard cover doesn’t open up completely, but doesn’t flutter at speed either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you mean Soft topper as in a canvas bed cap instead of a tonneau cover?
If you only need it a few times a year for extra space and want to store it when not needed, it's a better than storing a hard bed cap! They are also quick and easy to take on and off

·
Registered
105 Posts
Following… my folding BakFlip is beat to hail 😉 and 2 of the locking bars have fallen off. So I’m looking for options. And I might be old… 🙊😒🙊
Had the same problem with mine after about 10+ years. I used silicone and screws in different locations to re secure it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Had the same problem with mine after about 10+ years. I used silicone and screws in different locations to re secure it.
mine is 9yrs old. And it went thru a bad hail storm, golf ball size, a few years ago. So it has a few places that punctured the outer skin. And I had one little incident where the back section was folded up onto the next section... sometimes I leave that back section folded open for days and it never blows shut... until I have an old wheel barrow back there upside down, and it blew over and slammed on the metal bracket sticking up and went all the way thru it!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have put fiberglass caps on all my pickups. I can put 2-3 times as much stuff inside, it is protected from thieves and from the rain. Whether it is a new TV or my dogs or even plants from the nursery, the cap protects what is inside the bed. I also put curtains and tint the windows as what people cannot see they are not likely to break in and steal. I have taken this approach for the past 51 years and never had anything stolen from the bed of my pickup trucks.

The only time I have taken the cap off was to be able to put a slide in camper in the bed. When that needed to happen I drove to a camper store where they took the camper off with a forklift and would put it back on later at a total cost of $25 per month of storage - not a big deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts