DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed the Curt Class 3 Tow Hitch (model no. 13333) to my 2018 Ram 1500 Crew Cab. The flat head socket screw that’s screws into the bumper just in front of the license plate doesn’t lay flush to allow the bumber cap to snap back in place. I called Curt Manufacturing and they said this is absolutely normal. I don’t know what’s normal about not being able to snap the bumber cap back on after you installed the hitch. It doesn’t look appealing cosmetically, and you would think the bumber cap is there to prevent water and dirt from getting trapped in the bumber which can cause rust overtime. Did anyone have this problem and what was your solution?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32,785 Posts
I never cared for the Class 3 hitch receiver
It does not fasten to the 2 main frame rails, it connects to a light weight sub frame cross member & then it bolts through the cheap light weight bumper

You could get a bolt with a thinner head, they are about 1/2 the height of a regular head on a bolt
I believe that i have seen them at Home Depot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gtyankee, I was thinking how do I rig the dust cap so that it fits, but switching out the bolt seems to be a better solution. However, I may just get rid of the class 3 altogether and go with something that’s more heavy duty. I purchased it because it was economical and thought it was a cleaner look for light weight towing. Turns out not so much. Real disappointed how the Curt Class 3 turned out. Thanks for your reply.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Class 3s are for minivans and 4 wheelers, you want a class 4 hitch

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LMAO!!!! So thanks everyone for your comments! I’m returning the class 3 and I already purchased the class 4 online. So I got my weekend project ahead of me. I’ll send an updated picture once installed. Thanks all!

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Glad to hear you're going with a class IV hitch instead on messing with a poor fitting class III.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
I have the Class 4 hitch as well. And the cap fits flush ! And that thing is heavy or at least heavy for a old fart lol . The class 4 is over kill for my 1500 but bigger is safer IMO .. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yeah a class 3 is only good for up to 6000lbs trailer weight or 600lbs tongue weight, so you would be needlessly reducing your capacity with one. Assuming you have the Hemi your truck can handle at least a ton more than that.

A class 4 is good for 10,000 lbs trailer weight or 1000lbs tongue; or 1400lbs tongue and 14,000 lbs with a weight distributing hitch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts