DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so we got a pretty decent amount of snow tonight/this morning. I got off work and wanted to check out the 4wd in it. Very nice. I've never driven in 4wd before and it was cool. But enough of that, I switched it back to 2wd and drove home. There is a stop sign on a hill and when I started to drive again the tires spun a bit, mr. squiggly light came on and I hear/feel a rattle. Weird. So I tried spinning the tires a bit at the next stop sign and sure enough, there it is again. So I drove around for a bit and noticed I get it whenever there is wheel spin. I turned off traction control and it lessened the noise/vibration/rattle quite a bit. Do I need to take my truck in or is this normal for the traction control?

·
Registered
22 Posts
When traction control cuts in it is essentially using the brakes to brake one wheel (usually the one that lost traction) putting all the rotational force to the opposite wheel on that axle. The noise/vibration I think you may be hearing/feeling is the ABS pump doing what it is supposed to. Note that even with TC switched off there is still the ESC that is there - it is never truly switched off (just dialed down a bit). 4WD is just engaging the front propshaft to the front differential - I'm not sure if the TC works on all four wheels all the time or just on either the rear two wheels (in 2WD) - I had a Mustang GT that had TC only on the rear wheels (made sense). Do you also have the LSD?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not have the LSD. I figure it must be from the traction control system because it seemed to lessen when I had pressed the button to switch the traction control off. I knew it didn't completely turn it off, so that's why I thought it must be from that. Plus since I can feel it in the gas pedal, but it's just strange. It's almost like a driving on gravel noise - well at least that's what it reminds me of most. To add, I don't remember hearing it in 4wd mode. But then again I didn't get the same major wheel slip as in 2wd.
I'm sure someone here can tell me if they get some sort of weird noise like I am describing when driving in 2wd in slippery conditions.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Totally normal, that noise is definitely the ESC. In fact tonight I was starting to goof around in an icy parking lot when I felt it come on just like you described.

As Rambo said it uses the brakes to slow the slipping wheel, and it pulses them like ABS which is what you feel through your foot.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
mine makes a weird noise aswell but no vibration so i would think its normal aswell

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Yup! What your hearing/feeling is totally normal. It's just the trucks way of attempting to tighten the nut behind the wheel. :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks y'all. I figured it must be normal, just had to check. Cars have come a long way since my last one that I drove in icy/wet weather - 2000 Camry. The forumz are great for whatever car you drive.

In fact tonight I was starting to goof around in an icy parking lot when I felt it come on just like you described.
Haha nice! I got off work at the perfect time as it snowed half the night and parking lots were not plowed/salted yet. Finally got to try out driving in 4wd for the first time ever. I must say it's awesome. :smileup: Messed around in the parking lot at work, then just couldn't keep myself from goofing around in another parking lot on the way home. When we were car shopping, a buddy told us about how well the ESC was on the Mopars these days. But I still wonder why they sell 2wd trucks in Illinois :4-dontknow:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts