DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I just purchased this truck and went for a test drive. Everything seems normal but after signing the documents I came out of the dealership and noticed this sound (may be ticking/knocking or just nothing). So I called and showed the salesman what you can hear in the attached video (at 45 sec mark) . He said its a brand new engine with just 50 KMs and its normal for hemi to sound like this. Not sure if I should believe him :4-dontknow: and decided to share this video on this forum. Any advise on this matter is appreciated.

If you think its an issue then can you please suggest what I should be doing. Thanks a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tmdqXJmGU0

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds normal too me. Ive also got a 13 sport, but ive never stuck my head in the wheel well either lol. This is my second hemi and they seem to be fairly loud at first. try synthetic oil after youre first or second oil change and should get a bit quieter. I would post a vid of mine but im not too good at this computer stuff lol. After all youve got a 5 year powertrain warranty !! drive it like u stole it lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
As I previously posted in the thread posted by "Chromag" above, this sound is what mechanics call a "wrist pin" knock or rattle. I have heard this many times with gas engines. Sounds like there is too much end play between one connecting rod and the wrist pin (if the pins are floated in the rod). If the pins are pressed into the connecting rod, which they used to be (I have not had one of these late hemis apart, had many older 392s and 426s apart many times). If they are pressed in, then there is too much end play between the piston and the pin. Either way, piston or con. rod, I would not be happy with this noise.
Usually new engines are fairly tight and get loosened up during break in. I would not expect to hear this noise on a new engine.Normally this type of noise is more pronounced when the engine is cold and tends to quiet down as the engine approaches normal operating temperature because of thermal expansion. In any case, this is a serious enough problem that should be investigated by the dealer. It can be fixed, but the engine will have to be disassembled and parts measured and examined. Sorry to have to deliver this news. It can be fixed. Dealer mechanics do it all the time. It is only "nuts and bolts". Remember, this is just one mechanic's opinion. (However, I do have over 45 years engine experience).

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am not a mechanic. However I have heard it on many Rams, even a 2010 Silverado. Many theories abound. All I know is that these are new engines with lighter metals, different technology from old cast iron blocks.
Mine does this sound when cold. At 38,000 km I have had zero issues with this truck - ok one, the plastic park brake release handle cracked and was promptly replaced under warranty.
Definitely disconcerting when you are used to older engines but I pay it no attention having 0 issues. Will see how I do at 80,000km - still under warranty.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I agree with johnnymopar. When test driving a 2012 Lonestar 4x4, I also test drove an express and a sport and all three hemis had the same exact sound that you recorded. It can be a big shock for people not used to a noisy engine like the Hemi. Remember, you have 5years or 100,000 miles to make that powertrain give out on you. So just drive it and see if it goes the distance. Or you can try and have them replace the motor and hope the noise is a bit better. But how much more grief do you want to put yourself through with a new design truck having to wait weeks to months for a new engine swap only to be disappointed that the noise is still there you know? It was enough stress signing for the bill to start with. Another factor is knowing that these motors use a 5W20 weight oil because of the MDS feature, which is a fairly thin oil for any V8 but because of the MDS, that 5W20 is supposed to aid economy, and will make for a little bit noisier engine compared to most engines running a 10w30 to 10w40 or even 50w engine oil.

·
Addicted to the Z
15,440 Posts
I agree with the above two posts, mine also does this when cold. As soon as it warms up its gone. The little tap tap in your video is exactly what I hear on mine. I have 33,000 Kim's and its going strong. I did swap out for full synthetic at 5,000 Kms. If it really bothers you I suppose you could get them to tear down your engine (no way I'd do that). Run it for a while and see how it goes, it's under full warranty for quite some time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That is how mine sounds. Like I mentioned in previous posts about engine noise, the Hemi is a very noisy motor IMO.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi ransram,

You mentioned your does sound the same. So it just goes away after warm up. How long is the warm up time? Thanks

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
Before i switched to synthetic oil
On chillier days mine would sound like that for maybe 1/2 minute
but where i live, we don't get snow & it is uncommon to see ice on a water puddle

·
Addicted to the Z
15,440 Posts
Hi ransram,

You mentioned your does sound the same. So it just goes away after warm up. How long is the warm up time? Thanks
It's actually not doing it at all now but when it was it only took about five minutes to disappear.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so its not doing any more? did you got it fixed or it just disappeared on its own? sorry to keep asking you these questions :(

·
Addicted to the Z
15,440 Posts
so its not doing any more? did you got it fixed or it just disappeared on its own? sorry to keep asking you these questions :(
No problem with the questions. It just seemed to stop over the winter but maybe I just never paid much attention. When I did notice the sound I would start it up in my garage and let it idle down before pulling out. When I pulled out I got out to move cars around and left it running. When I went back to head to work I would notice the sound on the drivers side, slight tap tap tap. So it had Been running for only a few minutes. After getting to work, which is only about ten minutes I would check for the sound before shutting down and there was never any sound. So like I said I have 34,000 Kms on it and performance wise is running strong. I will check more carefully over the next few days and let you know if its gone or just quiter. Hope this helps somewhat.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Let me clarify some differences in the noise you are hearing as this can be strictly subjective and have multiple sources.
If the wrist (piston) pins are "floated" in these engines, meaning that they are not pressed into the connecting rods and are retained in the pistons with snap rings or buttons, then some of this noise can be normal when the engine is cold. If the pins are floated, which could be, like I said, I don't know for sure, then it is possible that this noise is coming from one or more pins that may have more clearance than the others. If that is the case, then this sound could be normal with this engine. However, let me be clear on this, if this engine makes the same noise when it is at operating temperature, then it needs to be reported under warranty and investigated. Also if the pins are pressed into the connecting rods, which some OEMs are, then this noise is from too much clearance between the piston pin and the aluminum piston and should be investigated.
In the US we have federal law that states that it you report a problem during the warranty period and it is not considered to be warrantable by the dealer and later fails when it is out of warranty, then it has to be considered to be warrantable under the manufactures original warranty. I don't know about Canada's laws. So, with that said, get this noise reported on a dealer work order during the warranty period and you are covered.
I might also add that when you are listening to a "noise" recorded on a cell phone and played on a computer, it is hard to determine the origin. May variables. Ask any mechanic and he may have a different opinion as to whether or not this is normal. The only way to know for sure is to have an experienced dealer technician (mechanic) who has had the experience with this type of noise to investigate it. Some have said that they think this is normal and not to worry. For your own peace of mind, be sure you get this checked out if the noise is still present with a warm engine. IMO

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have 26,000 miles on mine now and it still does it at the drive thru. It is only on the drivers side that I notice the noise. It is a tic not a knock, that is for sure. I know the difference between the two. It sounds reminiscent of an exhaust tic that would happen in the older style engines with an exhaust manifold leak. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

·
Registered
86 Posts
My 2013 with 500 miles on it does the same noise, i listened to it close the first day i started it up to go to work, but as being a mechanic and a little reading on here i decided it was normal...after all my buddies '03 hemi with 160k miles makes the same subtle tick

·
Registered
785 Posts
I've never owned a Hemi, but I've test driven many in my researching the truck purchase. I fired one up on the lot this weekend...same sound. I think you're fine. For peace of mind, simply have dealership look at it. Have them document it on service ticket, then drive it like you stole it a while. Switch to synthetic oil.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have listened to many "Hemi Tick" recorded sounds on You Tube and this does not sound like the notorious Hemi Tick. The Hemi Tick is more of a clicking sound that would be associated with the valve train. The sound that was recorded and noted in this thread sounds more pronounced like a knock. You can hear the hollow sound which I think is associated with the piston and connecting rod. Of course like I said before, please have the dealer service staff listen to this (not the salesman).

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Mine has the same "tick,tick tick" at idle even after fully warmed up, not a knock, I've got 920 miles on it, I'm not going to worry about it, first oil change I will switch to full synthetic again, and monitor how it sounds again. In that video it did sound faintly more pronounced, the knock that is, not trying to freak you out but I would take that advice and have a tech look at it and make note of it. Best not to worry!:smiley_thumbs_up:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts