DODGE RAM FORUM banner

what do you have on your RAM

• Total voters
541 - 560 of 583 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
i went open bed

the open bed for because of ATV, or moose wont fit with any cap product. bit the caps and covers do look nice

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,201 Posts
I recently got an Extang Trifecta 2.0 on mine. Pretty happy with it so far.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My last Ram a 2002 SLT Quad Cab had an Access roll up tonneau on it, and intermittently a camper shell.
The camper shell is nice and waterproof... until you go to put something tall in it, then you are screwed!
Hence the Roll up soft top most of the time, can just roll it up out of the way.

Fast forward to now..

I've a used 2010 Crewcab that came with a Roll-N-Lock top. Yes you can roll it out of the way but EVERY STINKING TIME I went to get in the bed I had to un-latch it to open the tailgate.. a two handed job on its own so if I was carrying something I had to put it down, unlatch the top, open the tailgate, pick up and put whatever into the bed, shut the tailgate, close and latch the top!! WHEW!!

So I just traded that cover for a camper shell (wrong color) and some cash. I stashed the shell and ordered a Truxedo Deuce cover and the tonneaumate truck box to go under the top..So shortly I'll have a soft roll-up cover again with the added bonus of having a toolbox in back that goes under the cover and is easily accessable even with the cover on!! YAY

AND a camper shell just in case!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
This is the first truck I have put a cover on the bed - it is the BakFlip MX4 with the Extang seal. Worked like a champ through Hurricane Irma, with maybe what appears to be less than 8 ounces of water getting in (not bad for rain for 12 hours, intermixed with winds 75+ mph and gusts over 100 mph).

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have the BakFlip X2 roll up aluminum cover and I have Ram boxes. Did a lot of research before getting this cover and it is great! Some minor drips if I go through a car wash but none with average rain. It is easy to use and my bed is totally secured when the truck is locked. I STRONGLY recommend this cover.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've always liked the soft tonneau trifold covers, but the Dakota I'm driving now has the Ram trifold hard cover. Not a big fan of this one. It is bolted to brackets attached the cargo management rails and is a pain to remove. Also, the handles for the opening mechanisms are recessed in on the top of the cover. There's supposed to be plugs that go over them but both of mine are missing. So several times in the winter I have to chissel ice that builds up in them just to open it. There was a catch on it that prevents the tailgate from opening while the cover is closed, but I removed it so I can open the tailgate when the cover is closed. It can be opened at the tailgate, or at the cab end. It can also be locked, but I have never locked it since I've had the truck.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I see there is no edit option on a past post and I just wanted to add a couple pics of my Truxedo Deuce and the Tonneaumate box underneath now that I have them installed.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
i have access literider soft roll up cover , my buddy wants give me a backflip g2 , the access is nice but i do like the idea of a hard cover so no one gets into your bed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have a BakFlip VP cover--- worst mistake I've made on this truck. Less than two years old and it has literally fallen apart. Guess that's the reason they only gave a 12 month warranty.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have a BakFlip VP cover--- worst mistake I've made on this truck. Less than two years old and it has literally fallen apart. Guess that's the reason they only gave a 12 month warranty.
I too bought a BakFlip VP cover and loved the function and looks of this cover, however after a year and a half the sun took its toll on it and the edges of the vinyl cover began to separate from the hard frame. Looked awful! See pics attached. I called BakFlip to see if they would help with this situation even though it was off warranty. They were very nice and sent me a new cover. I suppose the same thing will happen to the new one in a few years! I tried to upgrade from the VP cover to one of the hard panel covers but they would not give me credit for the VP cover and let me pay the difference. Just wanted to confirm mustangnut's observation and share my experience with the Bakflip VP...

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Am in the process of deciding getting the BAK RevolverX2 for my truck. I really liked Undercover UltraFlex but I want the Rhino SportBar2. It seem that the only bed cover that actually works great with it is the RevolverX2.
If anyone a better idea please feel free to let me know, Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
I too bought a BakFlip VP cover and loved the function and looks of this cover, however after a year and a half the sun took its toll on it and the edges of the vinyl cover began to separate from the hard frame. Looked awful! See pics attached. I called BakFlip to see if they would help with this situation even though it was off warranty. They were very nice and sent me a new cover. I suppose the same thing will happen to the new one in a few years! I tried to upgrade from the VP cover to one of the hard panel covers but they would not give me credit for the VP cover and let me pay the difference. Just wanted to confirm mustangnut's observation and share my experience with the Bakflip VP...
My problem started with the the rubber connecting strips becoming unglued on the bottom. Then the thin black aluminum panels literally fell off the styrofoam centers. I glued this back together, which immediately fell back apart causing the three panels to sag in the middle. Now the vinyl has pulled off the top just like your photos. Do you have an email address or contact info for BakFlip? At this point I'm totally disgusted and would love to talk with someone. That thing cost a pot of money compared to the cheap American Tonneau Company cover I had on my previous truck. Thught I was buying a superior product from BakFlip :mad:

·
Registered
65 Posts
My problem started with the the rubber connecting strips becoming unglued on the bottom. Then the thin black aluminum panels literally fell off the styrofoam centers. I glued this back together, which immediately fell back apart causing the three panels to sag in the middle. Now the vinyl has pulled off the top just like your photos. Do you have an email address or contact info for BakFlip? At this point I'm totally disgusted and would love to talk with someone. That thing cost a pot of money compared to the cheap American Tonneau Company cover I had on my previous truck. Thught I was buying a superior product from BakFlip :mad:
Go to their web site at https://bakflip.com/ and give them a call on the Sales and Service number at the top of the screen. If approved you have to start a claim process and go through their step by step procedure including sending them photos of your issues. I think they will send you another internet site link to access that goes through the claim process step by step, but it is not on their specific site, but the parent company, which I cannot remember the name of now. If approved, they will send you a new cover and ask you to destroy the old one and send them back photos of your destroyed top! Ha! I guess they don't want you giving it away to some other poor soul who wants a damaged cover! :LOL:

541 - 560 of 583 Posts