DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I haven't had a car/truck since 2001 with badges on it. Assuming the Ram would be no different I got my supplies and went to work. First off - The adhesive was a horrible nightmare - but I am satisfied that it's done, although no with my level of effort needed.

My problem is the Tailgate RAM. I got it off only to discover the holes:doh:(insert cuss words here) So, I am looking into the black chrome option. Headed to Pep-Boys today in fact to get it (in stock:smileup:).

I am not painter and have zero XP in this realm. Will I need to be doing any Prep-Work for the paint. I was planning on laying it on a piece of packing paper and giving it two coats each of Black and Clear that comes in the "kit" according to the Pep Boy Guy. I am in COlorado and my garage should be 30-50* during this process - is that ok?

Also - How the Heck do I put it back on. I can give lectures on debadging... but RE-badging:4-dontknow:. Specific brand and product title would be helpful since I have a feeling that there will be some similar named products with variable performance values for the job.

Thanks in advance - and pics to follow!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the badge, nothing wrong with it. Just want to spray it black chrome before re-applying it. I am considering one of the custom "shield badges" available on the internet, but for now I gotta get this space/holes covered up

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I would use adhesion promoter first. All the pieces I've painted I use it and it's great

·
Registered
628 Posts
I used the Dupicolor black chrome kit to do my front badge and grille. The grille turned out really bad ( almost green ) but the badge turned out pretty good. I could tell as I painted each coat that the badge was looking alot better than the grille, not sure if its due to the size or what. I cleaned them really good with soap and water, layed 5 light and even coats with 20min dry time in between then 2 coats of clear. Here is a before and after pic, a little blurry sorry about that.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
The ONLY prep work for Black Chrome is a proper cleaning.
Adhesion promoter is not required, as it is included in the base coat product (Duplicolor Shadow) and works very well.

Here is the thread I made on the experience - http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=87701

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
My bud did his bumpers with that stuff and turned out green also, I will never try it lol

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Yup....it does have a slight green tint to it, but only under certain light conditions. When I Black Chromed my second set, I applied the base coat until I have achieved the darkness I wanted, then added 2 more coats. The results are better. Less green, and closer to the color depth I was hoping to achieve.

Having said that, I would never use this product on something big like rims or a bumper. The bigger the surface area, the more noticeable the green tint. For the front and rear Rams heads, it's fine....but paint it darker than you want, so you get the darkness you want. :smileup:

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Like said above you need to clean the surface you are spraying. There are many products specifically for this, but I have found dawn dish soap works just as good and won't be harsh on the surface, and is cheap. Mix a little soap with water and wipe/scrub the badge and all the nooks/crannies. Do it several times washing your hands with the soap in between and after as well. Make sure not to touch the badge after because your hands have oils on them and will transfer to the surface, then the paint won't stick to that area. Then spray as many light/medium coats as wanted, I find the best way is to spray, wait a few minutes, then spray the next coat while it is "tacky"....not wet but not dry. And just do each coat like this and it should turn out good.

30-50 deg F is not good for painting, too cold! I recommend not spraying at that temp it may not cure properly. If you do, I'd make a "tent" out of visqueen somehow in the garage or whatever and use a space heater to warm that area. Also, using a blow dryer or heat gun(low temp) on the piece as it cures will drastically help durability...

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Heat gun ftw! I painted a tacomas headlights Sunday and used a best gun to speed.up the process

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.