DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honest, I've read through countless threads so I'm not asking before researching! Haha.

I have the 430N (RHB) head unit in my 2012 1500 and do not have a backup camera. I know 100% about Lockpick and that option to solve the problem (I did the whole LockPick thing on a MyGig unit in my Dodge Nitro).

My question is, 8+ years since I used a LockPick, are they still "the way" to do this on MyGig units, or are there better alternatives now? I hear lots of posts people asking if CoastalTech are still even in business, which scares me since the unit is not cheap ($400Cdn to my door not including a camera!).

I'm also reading (and considering) aftermarket head units. Especially since I don't really "Store" music on the MyGig nowadays and the maps are crazy out of date. But how does that play into the whole UConnect system? I assume I lose UConnect and also lose the ability to set truck settings through the head unit like I can do today?

And finally, I know I've got the option to buy an aftermarket tailgate cam (or OEM if I'm crazy), harness, and can buy the ODBI tool to add the backup cam to the computer myself. But it seems just as expensive as a LockPick after buying all the pieces and I get 4 cam support and nav in motion with the LockPick.

I'm indecisive on next steps. Haha. Primary thing is getting a backup cam. Everything else is gravy. But I'm also torn with thinking I want this truck for a long time and would like more up-to-date electronics.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
If you just want a camera, why not add one and then just let the dealer turn it on? I did that with an earlier truck. Cost was minimal for them to add the sales code.

I'm also reading (and considering) aftermarket head units. Especially since I don't really "Store" music on the MyGig nowadays and the maps are crazy out of date. But how does that play into the whole UConnect system? I assume I lose UConnect and also lose the ability to set truck settings through the head unit like I can do today?
I've also got a '12 with MyGig. What settings are you worried about losing? It's not like the newer trucks with settings for the lights, locks, stuff like that can be switched in the HU. In fact I can't think of anything in the radio that affects a truck function??? All of that is selected in the speedo center display on a '12.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you just want a camera, why not add one and then just let the dealer turn it on? I did that with an earlier truck. Cost was minimal for them to add the sales code.

I've also got a '12 with MyGig. What settings are you worried about losing? It's not like the newer trucks with settings for the lights, locks, stuff like that can be switched in the HU. In fact I can't think of anything in the radio that affects a truck function??? All of that is selected in the speedo center display on a '12.
Wow, I think you're right and it's all in the EVIC where that stuff is I'm thinking about! Explains why I never found anything about people talking about it in the head unit. Haha.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yeah, that's probably the cheapest approach. I already have a good license plate camera even. I just need the adapter harness to plug into the RHB. I'd have to call the dealer to see what they charge to flip the switch adding the cam. Takes them 5 minutes but they probably charge $100.

I like flashy screens and buttons and things, so some of the replacement head units are trying to draw me in!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went with this as basically the quickest way to get my cam hooked up. I already have a license plate cam and I like having my own ODB2 tool and I'll use it with JScan for some other items I need to do with the truck (shut of TPMS and eventually adjust speedo for 35's).

Note: Cdn prices

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Be sure to post how it worked out for you. Looks pretty affordable that way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn and years ago I put a Kenwood Excelon DNX693S Garmin Nav unit (double-DIN) and it came with a mic. I ordered a new tailgate handle with a built-in camera, put in a front camera (right above the Ram's horns in the grill) and installed the Maestro idatalink. The maestro allows you to get all your gauges read out on your radio screen (tire pressure, oil pressure, oil temp, tranny temp, etc, etc). I purchased everything through Crutchfield and did the install myself - probably spent about $800 total and it took the full weekend (I replace all the stock speakers with JBLs) . It has Apple Car play and Android Auto, built-in Sirius XM, 2 camera inputs, a CD player, built-in Garmin Nav, an HD Radio, Bluetooth and much much more. The UConnect is a great system, but this literally blows it away and is far cheaper than the ridiculous hoops you have to jump thru to keep your very subpar factory radio. My Bluetooth calls sound as good or better than my old UConnect. My music sounds far better and I'm not even running a separate amp. Go after market - you'll be happy you did.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also, a fellow Ram owner at work gave me a remote start system as a gift several years ago (they are less than $200) and I installed that and it works directly off my factory original keyfob. I live in Arizona and take my dog to work everyday; if I need to stop at the store on the way home I use the remote start to run the A/C and keep my dog comfortable. It was 113 degrees today, but about 70 degrees inside. Although my truck is almost 10 years old with 170K miles, it has better electronics and smart capabilities than many of the new models. The radio, speakers & remote start are all upgrades that you can do yourself and make your truck very techie.

·
Registered
2012 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
3 Posts
Not sure if you've already figured out your backup camera, but I just got a 2012 2500 Power Wagon that has a RHB 430N. I ordered and installed a tailgate handle backup camera from Infotainment and it was the easiest plug and play I've ever installed. It comes with everything, including a OBD programmer to program the computer for back up camera. It added the backup camera on/off feature to my settings in the radio. They even have a video of the full install on their website. I followed the video and the install was perfect. Here is a link to it: https://www.infotainment.com/produc...ndle-backup-camera-kit?variant=39329793277988. If you decide to order and install it, hit me up if you have any questions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts