DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought the truck (2019 Bighorn) about 2 weeks ago and ordered the Flowmaster American Thunder Kit for the 19 (part# 817843). I took the kit to my muffler guy for install. When I got there he took a look under the truck (because this was the first 2019 Ram he was gonna work on), and told me I may not even need to install the kit. It turns out for the 2019 Rams with the Hemi's and dual exhaust, there is a resonator just downstream of the Cats, after that you have the main muffler, then the split for the dual exhaust, and then another muffler ( straight through glass pack) on each side just before the tips. He suggested removing the main muffler and replacing it with a straight pipe since there were already a resonator and 2 mufflers (one on each side). So I tried this and the truck sounds perfect to me.... its an extremely deep but not too loud sound, it sounds like a beast!! I went from spending $760 for the kit plus $250 for the install to only having to pay $165. The best part about it someone just said to me that the truck sounds great what kind of muffler I have? I told him it was the stock muffler, he did not believe me although I was telling the truth.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
Interesting find there, thanks for sharing. And kudos to that shop for their honesty!

And yes, post a sound clip if you can. :smileup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
You may have just saved me some $$$. Thanks for that! I have a ‘19 Rebel and was gonna get the Flowmaster Series 50 Delta Flow HD. I have a friend who did a muffler delete on his ‘17 Night and it’s way too loud for my neighborhood. I guess what you’re saying is to delete the main muffler as you have two remaining right at the split before the exhaust pipes?

·
Registered
998 Posts
He did you a huge favor by not installing a sub par muffler anyways!

·
Registered
35 Posts
So I bought the truck (2019 Bighorn) about 2 weeks ago and ordered the Flowmaster American Thunder Kit for the 19 (part# 817843). I took the kit to my muffler guy for install. When I got there he took a look under the truck (because this was the first 2019 Ram he was gonna work on), and told me I may not even need to install the kit. It turns out for the 2019 Rams with the Hemi's and dual exhaust, there is a resonator just downstream of the Cats, after that you have the main muffler, then the split for the dual exhaust, and then another muffler ( straight through glass pack) on each side just before the tips. He suggested removing the main muffler and replacing it with a straight pipe since there were already a resonator and 2 mufflers (one on each side). So I tried this and the truck sounds perfect to me.... its an extremely deep but not too loud sound, it sounds like a beast!! I went from spending $760 for the kit plus $250 for the install to only having to pay $165. The best part about it someone just said to me that the truck sounds great what kind of muffler I have? I told him it was the stock muffler, he did not believe me although I was telling the truth.
165 to add a straight piece of pipe? U got ripped off bud.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just had a muffler shop order & install me a new Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow and they charged me $178 total. They asked me if I wanted the factory muffler on my ‘19 which is brand spanken new and when I said “no” they threw it in the scrap heap. If the sound isn’t good enough, he’s happy to remove the two resonators for me at no extra cost.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nice, I never though about doing that on my 19 Sport. You never really know what deleting the muffler would do. What I did and my friend who is a manager at a local Midas, told me the specs for the size, so I ordered a Flowmaster Super 44 Series muffler, he replaced it for like $100.00, the muffler was $120.00. It sounded really good, we then decided to remove the resonators or mufflers as you have called them, and believe me after removing them they are like mini-mufflers at the tailpipes. Once we replaced them with straight pipes, man did that make a difference, that Super 44 sounds like it should. I have to get a sound clip on here posted so others can make a decision, because sometimes its about hearing before buying. It's got a sinister deep growl to it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just had a muffler shop order & install me a new Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow and they charged me $178 total. They asked me if I wanted the factory muffler on my ‘19 which is brand spanken new and when I said “no” they threw it in the scrap heap. If the sound isn’t good enough, he’s happy to remove the two resonators for me at no extra cost.
Does the factory muffler assembly have bolts and a flange at each end, or did they have to cut and weld for the replacement?

It'd be great if the factory muffler could be unbolted, someone could make a straight pipe assembly and it would be a 30 min driveway job to replace if that seems like a viable option.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So how does it sound ?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Did deleting out the muffler or resonators throw any codes? Hadn’t heard anyone say anything yet about that.
I'd be very surprised if modding the exhaust rear of the cats threw a code

·
Happy Ram - No more GM
2017 Silverado 1500 QC 4x4.
996 Posts
165 to add a straight piece of pipe? U got ripped off bud.
Do you own an exhaust shop? Did you factor overhead costs? $165 is a reasonable price.

·
Registered
84 Posts
He did you a huge favor by not installing a sub par muffler anyways!
:158:

Does the factory muffler assembly have bolts and a flange at each end, or did they have to cut and weld for the replacement?

It'd be great if the factory muffler could be unbolted, someone could make a straight pipe assembly and it would be a 30 min driveway job to replace if that seems like a viable option.
If your RAM 1500 has factory dual exhaust we offer a number of Direct-fit mufflers that are easily installed with basic hand tools. Whether you have a 2009-2018 or the new 2019 model we have a Direct-fit replacement for all tastes.

Did deleting out the muffler or resonators throw any codes? Hadn’t heard anyone say anything yet about that.
I'd be very surprised if modding the exhaust rear of the cats threw a code

If properly installed you will not see a M.I.L. by replacing the muffler with a Cat-back, Axle-back or universal replacement option. There are no sensors that attach to the muffler or piping from the catalytic converters back. The ECU does not monitor anything after the cats and that's what makes the majority of our exhaust systems and replacement muffler options 50 State legal.

For answers to all of your exhaust related questions please PM me or call us at 707-544-4761.

- Jason @ Flowmaster

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's been said multiple times already, but make a simple video and post to YouTube and give us the link! We want to hear! :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts