DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The madness begins ahahahaha!! I bought a bunch of pre wired 3mm leds in green to match the interior lights. The 4 on the bottom are 3 chip I am going to try on the floor.

I wanted to light the door handle lever and the pocket under the door pull.

I was in kinda a rush Sat and didnt think the wiring to good. I shoulda soldered wires to the leds then put my connectors on.

For power I taped into the pink/w yellow tracer in the power window switch and used a bolt in the door for a ground. I drilled a 1/8" hole and used a hot glue gun to attach the led.

I went for a ride after but it was not quite dark enough and they seemed dim. On my way home tonight they are actually quite bright.
At 1st I didnt care that it was shining on the headlight switch but now I kinda like it. I am always fumbling to turn the fogs on. The other side it will light up the cubby under the heater vent.

Overall I am quite happy. Can't wait to do the other side tonight after work. :smileup:

Reactions: Excoastie

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Looks awesome man! Def gonna have to copy you with some blue ones!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Passenger side done

Tackled the P/S tonight. Did the wiring different and used different connectors. Came out sweet. Same as drivers side I taped into the pink/w yellow tracer but this time I took the pin out of the block so I could use heat shrink insted of tape.

There is heat shrink under the tape believe me.

Tested the led's

Drilled 1/8 in holes and attached with a hot glue gun.

Used the glue gun to keep the wires in place.

Put it back together and here the result.

I re-did all the wiring on the D/S door as well. Time to start thinkin about the floors and cup holders :SHOCKED:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Looks awesome man!!

How hard is that thing to pop out or the connector???

As far as the cup holders IDK if you ahve the full floor consol or not but me and a few guys have talked about just putting two or 3 leds shooting toward the front of the truck so you can see the light and not the LEDs. Imma try it once my new LED shipment gets here

·
Registered
340 Posts
SS... is your truck going to have blue freckles soon???? I'm not going to step over that line. I have one more strip of led's to install on the passenger side rear. And that's it. O, I did get a couple more pairs of LED's to try in the map and license plate lights. They shipped today. oh. hahahaha. The led's for my Ram's eye's are in the mail also. hahahaha. I should shutup now.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
haha naw i dont think itll get that back. I like the idea of lighting up the pockets under the door handles, the cave possibly the cup holders/center swuare thing and thats gonna be all for me on the interior for a long long time I believe.

Its time to save the LED money for some other place... like an extra set of injectors for the camaro or a legitamite drop kit for the truck

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
looks good! Thanks for the write up :rep:

Exco

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
That is pretty much exactly what I want to do to my truck...in that same color too! I thought I was the only one who had green LED's in his truck. Wanna come do mine? :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. There still workin and I like em. Gonna do something with the lights I have for the floor and cup holders soon.

·
Registered
479 Posts
yeah, that looks awesome. im about to try to order some of those leds in blue and change my window controls to blue. but first i have to resurface my soldering iron in order to de sauter the existing leds. its going to be hard because they are bent in opposite directions flat on the circuit board, and then soldered into place. i have my work cut out for me.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Get ya some desoldering braid from the shack. It will make that job much easier. I would also consider using some flux on the braid to help it wick up the solder. Just don't use the acid stuff.

Me...

Reactions: Pyroboy5000

·
Registered
479 Posts
thanks, i might have to get me some. i always have a headache desoldering stuff. my only worry is that if i resolder to the circuit board that i will accidently use too much solder. the circuit board is really close quarters, so i will definately have my work cut out for me.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hopefully you have a pencil iron with a pointy tip. You do not want to use a high wattage gun in tight quarters.

Me...

·
Registered
479 Posts
thanks a lot mikeski. rep points for solid advice. that desoldering braid worked like a dream. i do have a pencil iron. i resurfaced it yesterday so it would be at peak performance. those leds came right out. i have to get those blue leds to replace them now.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm glad to hear it worked out for you. To much heat can really mess things up. We will all be looking for pictures. I would not mind seeing some of the board before reinstall. it will help me decide if I want to go to the effort myself ;-).

Me...

·
Registered
479 Posts
yeah. ill try to take some pictures and actually do a write up when i get the blue leds. itll probably be a week or two untill i can get it done because i have spring break this week, and ill probably order them next weekend when i get back. then it will probably take another week for them to get here. then ill proceed with the install.

keep in mind that my truck is a second generation and that the window controls are different. as of right now i dont know exactly how the new leds will go in. the existing leds are 3mm i believe, but im ordering 5mm prewired leds. im going to try to get them to fit in the holes that are there. but if they dont fit i will then try to retro fit with the prewires on the circuit board and maybe some hot glue.

idk. ill just have to see how it goes. but i will be writing it up for anybody who wants to know about it.

EDIT: i actually might buy 5 single 3mm leds from oznium for the window switches.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts