DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Ram used this dark vinyl blackout cover on the door pillars of outdoorsmans for some years. My 13 outdoorsman has several of them curled up now--one has been that way for a year or more.

Dealer says tough luck out of warranty. I think it's painted underneath. Do do some people just remove these and go with the paint underneath (after whatever touch up is needed I assume) or are they trying to rip off the old cover and install a new one? Seems like a shoddy thing as I've seen many that have the same problem. Perhaps installation is critical and they muck it up at the factory.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have been thinking about removing mine. It is just vinyl. Should be factory paint underneath. Touch up should not be necessary.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Same happened to me, I peeled them off. Dad had his replaced before 36,000 miles and his haven't curled up again yet

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
Use a hair dryer & some GOO GONE or similar product to take it off

You can buy replacement pieces at several different places, if you decide that you want to have them on there

·
Registered
83 Posts
Don't even need a hair dryer here in AZ LOL
Just peel it off in the midday sun :4-sunshine:
Any quality vinyl from a sign shop will work for replacement. Easy to apply. Clean the pillar well, spray a light film of soapy water and apply, wrapping around the pillar as far as you can. Trim off the access with a razor blade. Squeegee the bubbles out and dry, or in AZ just wait a few minutes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
yes they are painted underneath, same as the vehicle. we remove them all the time because here in FL, they will eventually do it again, some customers want them replaced but most of the time once they see the paint underneath they just have us leave them off. most of the time they will come off with a little patience, any adhesive left behind is handled with the "goo gone." once you have them off, you cant tell they were even there. just take your time. good luck.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My 12 Ram did the same thing when I had it. I found these on Amazon and they looked really good. The best thing about them is that you just put them on over the current stickers without having to peel them off. My truck was the red one pictured in the reviews.

Piano Black Pillar Post Trim Cover fits: 2009-2014 Dodge Ram 4 Door Model - Ferreus Industries - PIL-118-GB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BD4V4MU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fVCuBb48KQV38

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow, God bless this forum and YouTube! Mine is in good shape, but dull looking in spots. Does anyone know if it can be restored or should I have it removed?

Link wont post but here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTPxnHw4mgU

if the link doesn't work.

search

Removing the B Pillar Vinyl around the windows on your RAM 1500

on you tube. its by BoostedMotorsports

·
Registered
2 Posts
As others have stated, this is a super common problem, but easy to remove and I think it looks better without blackout tbh. Just be sure to start at the bottom and take your time so it comes off in one piece. I used wd40 for goo cleanup after followed by full wash, clay, wax routine since it's never been exposed before.

Good luck! Post some before and after if you do the removal! Here are some of mine. Sorry for the quality and lighting. I was in the garage. I can take some more afters later if you would like to see a wider view.

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone. My truck is two tone with Metallic dark blue on top--I did find a source for replacement vinyl but the cost is high for what it is, and I'm sure the same thing will happen to it eventually--so I think I'll just peel them all off an go with it that way.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I removed my vinyl which was wrinkled from the factory and haven’t looked back. It’s tacky looking in my opinion - especially when they can’t even install it correctly at the factory.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,606 Posts
I removed my vinyl which was wrinkled from the factory and haven’t looked back. It’s tacky looking in my opinion - especially when they can’t even install it correctly at the factory.
That does look better! My problem is there is SO MUCH silver on my truck. I like the black to break up all of the silver.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts