DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Kicker ks series speakers to install throughout my truck and I have an Alpine 4 channel amp for all my door speakers. The 3.5's in the dash sound great running off my head unit.
I have issues with the 6x9's and 5 1/4's and was wondering if this has happened to anyone else.
1) The opening in the front door is slightly smaller than the 6x9's. Is there some kind of spacer i need to order or will i need to 'enhance' my door opening so they will fit.
2) I got ready to run speaker wires to my amp and i pulled the plastic wire trough from the door to the cab. When i pulled it, instead of seeing the usual wires all the way through, i noticed that the ram has connectors on the doors. Easy for door replacement but.......what do people usually do to run wires to a amp from the door speakers??

·
Registered
611 Posts
I installed Pioneer6x9's withoutcutting the hole. I did shim them out some and it was real tight getting the door pads on.

I ran my speaker wire through the white connectors. It was tight but doable.

I have Kicker ks series speakers to install throughout my truck and I have an Alpine 4 channel amp for all my door speakers. The 3.5's in the dash sound great running off my head unit.
I have issues with the 6x9's and 5 1/4's and was wondering if this has happened to anyone else.
1) The opening in the front door is slightly smaller than the 6x9's. Is there some kind of spacer i need to order or will i need to 'enhance' my door opening so they will fit.
2) I got ready to run speaker wires to my amp and i pulled the plastic wire trough from the door to the cab. When i pulled it, instead of seeing the usual wires all the way through, i noticed that the ram has connectors on the doors. Easy for door replacement but.......what do people usually do to run wires to a amp from the door speakers??

·
Registered
406 Posts
I actually used the white plug, removed the factory pin and ran it thru it, I thought there is a post with pics on here where somebody did this already?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I actually used the white plug, removed the factory pin and ran it thru it, I thought there is a post with pics on here where somebody did this already?
Like this:

Not bad to do, takes longer to the the white plug back into the turck body than it did to run the wires.

·
Registered
209 Posts

I am sure you have already solved the issue but if you take the plastic spacers off of the factory 6x9s and put them on the kickers they will bolt in just fine. I ran a pair of them in my truck for a while.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone. Now I just have to find time to get this done. Long work days will drain you!! I do remember seeing a factory ring of the original 6x9's. I will put it on my kickers when I install them. Now I have to decide where to mount my amp. Been thinking about 3 different locations. Under drivers seat, under back seat, or on back wall. I would ultimately prefer to mount it on the wall but I'm not sure if there will be room behind my back seat. I have the one piece rear seat.

·
Registered
209 Posts
You have lots of options. Since I have a standard cab I had to put an amp under each seat.

I would try for behind the rear seat mounted low. if you haven't already done it make it so you can flip the seat down while you are at it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts